Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:15 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
The birth was probably paid for via Medicaid
Yep, by U.S. taxpayers.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM

50,234 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It was almost certainly an illegal discharge. There was no suitable receiving facility at the other end. So the Hospital violated the law. They actually sent him to an emergency hospital with no capability for long term care and no bed available.

Practically the move likely means the guy will live a short life with no real hope of any further rehabilitation.

An interesting problem. One would think the contractors involved would be liable at least via workmen's compensation.

The Hospital of course was left holding the bag which should not happen either. The feds really ought to be the funder of last resort in these cases to avoid harming local institutions.

If it is wrong for illegals to come here as you folks so often point out would you now support an illegal action against one? So only some kinds of illegal are bad?
Baloney,

it said it was resource poor it didn't say they didn't have a ventilator for the guy. If the Hospital needs more filters for the VENTILATOR it has rather than re-using them the Mexican Govt can buy them.

It's not the US taxpayers responsibility to care for Mexican peasants.

Listen, this is my standard answer for people that think we have to adopt these people. If I have to adopt them I want the naming rights to one of them. I think BOB is a great name. For the length of time my "adopted" person remains in the US they shall be known as BOB.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
"If" it is wrong for illegals to come here? No "if" about it. If what the hospital did was illegal then that is wrong also. I am no hypocrite. If our government is made to pony up on those medical costs guess who's pocket it is really come out of though? That is why we need to enforce our immigration laws adamantly so that these things don't happen.
Roofers fall off roofs. If it is a fly by night operation the same thing happens whether the guy is legal or illegal. So no dime saved.

And I agree it comes out of the citizenry's pocket. The question is which pocket?

I don't like seeing local operations getting nailed with this sort of bill. It is a federal problem and the resulting costs should be covered by the feds.

Note that the problem is exactly the same with any contractor who lacks proper protection for his employees...there are lots of shoe string operations that pay off the books and fold if they have a serious accident.

Last edited by olecapt; 02-07-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
(gagging on my tuna sammich)

The hospital should have billed the State of Oaxaca for his medical care. And as long as Oaxaca was willing to pay for his care, I think he could have been allowed to stay here.

Every hospital in the nation needs to start billing the foreign nations where the illegals come from.

NOT for maternity. They shouldn't be allowed to drop an anchor here period.

That way it won't be a financial burden to any American to care for illegals.

The ideal situation would be if none of them were here at all, but there are some emergency situations where immediate care should be given, then billed to the nation of origin of the illegal.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
The US Treasury needs to be sending Pres. Calderone weekly invoices for the cost of illegals in this country who have originated or crossed through Mexico's borders into the US.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How is it an illegal discharge? There are no laws requiring a hospital to provide long-term “free” care to illegal aliens. Regardless of the capabilities of the receiving hospital, are you suggesting there are NO facilities in Mexico in which he can receive adequate care?
The law requires discharge to a suitable facility. By the standards of the US medical community there was none in the home community. And they also seem to agree they needed his agreement to discharge him. They violated the law. It was an illegal act.

There may well be facilities in Mexico that could provide suitable care. But they would not take him either...just like the long term US rehab faciiities.

I agree that this all need a fix. This is not the first nor even the worst case. The feds ignore it and the local hospitals suffer or break the law to escape...

Old 02-07-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
The law requires discharge to a suitable facility. By the standards of the US medical community there was none in the home community. And they also seem to agree they needed his agreement to discharge him. They violated the law. It was an illegal act.

There may well be facilities in Mexico that could provide suitable care. But they would not take him either...just like the long term US rehab faciiities.

I agree that this all need a fix. This is not the first nor even the worst case. The feds ignore it and the local hospitals suffer or break the law to escape...
Let's see...

#1. He was here Illegally.

#2. He worked a JOB ILLEGALLY.

#3. Because he was unqualified to do the job he was hired to do he became permanently disabled.

Sounds to me like he rolled the dice and lost.

It's not my fault nor the taxpayers in Chicago to pay for his mistake.

That's life.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Tell me why US law has to apply to someone illegally here who broke the law?

They discharged him to his nation of origin, and if that's the best they have where he came from....

He should have thought about all the risks before he decided to break the law to come here.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:32 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
Quote:

Would you mind posting a link to the law requiring a patient to authorize a hospital discharge? I searched, and was unable to locate. I was under the impression only a doctor had that authority.

So, if there are no “suitable” facilities available or willing to treat him in Mexico, he should continue to receive treatment at this hospital indefinitely? I don’t think so. However, you’re right. Too many hospitals have been left holding the bag, or have been forced to close due to expending millions for the treatment of illegal aliens.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Would you mind posting a link to the law requiring a patient to authorize a hospital discharge? I searched, and was unable to locate. I was under the impression only a doctor had that authority.

So, if there are no “suitable” facilities available or willing to treat him in Mexico, he should continue to receive treatment at this hospital indefinitely? I don’t think so. However, you’re right. Too many hospitals have been left holding the bag, or have been forced to close due to expending millions for the treatment of illegal aliens.
Actually close but no cigar. Illegals are only a portion of the costs eaten by hospitals for the uninsured. There are roughly 50 million uninsured versus less than 11 million illegals. Note that the US born children would often be eligible for medicaid and some illegals have insurance.

Note that the cost numbers quoted in this and other such cases are fictional. They represent the inflated fees hospitals charge the uninsured. Off by a factor greater than 3.

Hospitals overall are highly profitable. Made more than 25 billion in 2004.

From the article cited by the OP

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is no consensus about what should happen to undocumented patients who become severely disabled and need long-term care. By law, hospitals are required to discharge all patients to "appropriate facilities" where they can receive adequate follow-up care. This is also an ethical obligation for physicians, according to a recent report from the American Medical Association's Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration