U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,160,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
This type of thing is costing the citizens of our country billions annually.

The illegal in this thread cost one hospital over $700K: Quadriplegic Illegal alien shipped back to Mexico against his will after 4 months of (free) care in US

Is if fair to saddle privately owned hospitals with hundreds of thousands of dollars in unpaid medical expenses to care for people who are not even legally in our country?
Do you want to be chucked out of a hospital when you've been shot and unconscious and dying because you don't have your wallet on you, and thus cannot prove your citizenship or immigration status?

If the guy in the thread you linked had come to the hospital unconscious, should he have been denied care if he didn't have an ID on him? Do you really want doctors to not care for somebody who could die within minutes because they can't find the guy's driver's license while his back is broken and he's in excruciating pain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 PM

10,833 posts, read 11,599,721 times
Organ Donor!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:22 PM

7,526 posts, read 6,987,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Do you want to be chucked out of a hospital when you've been shot and unconscious and dying because you don't have your wallet on you, and thus cannot prove your citizenship or immigration status?

If the guy in the thread you linked had come to the hospital unconscious, should he have been denied care if he didn't have an ID on him? Do you really want doctors to not care for somebody who could die within minutes because they can't find the guy's driver's license while his back is broken and he's in excruciating pain?
No, I expect hospitals to follow the letter of the law which requires emergency care be given and stabilization until transfer can safely be made. That is what the hospital did. They kept him for 4 months, saved his life, and stabilized his condition. They are an acute care hospital, not a long term care facility. It was no longer an appropriate medical placement for him to continue residing in the hospital, which is why they transferred him to a long term care facility in his home country. Do you take issue with that?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 PM

5,795 posts, read 3,117,805 times
Quote:

As he was there for 4 months I don't think your scenario applies.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Do you take issue with that?
Not at all, I think the hospital (and authorities) did the right thing. But you implied in your post that that incident was a waste of taxpayer and/or hospital dollars.

The ultimate answer is for the federal government to pass a comprehensive immigration reform law that will secure our borders and find some reasonable method of dealing with the illegal immigrants currently in our country.

But for now, we have millions of undocumented immigrants in the US, and just like everybody else, sometimes they have horrible accidents and need life saving treatment. Can the hospital do anything different then they have here? The alternative to treating anybody that comes into the ER is to potentially withhold treatment from anybody who cannot prove their legal immigration status on the spot. This is a terrible idea for many of the reasons I laid out in my prior post.

Edit:
Quote:
As he was there for 4 months I don't think your scenario applies.
Reread that thread that was linked to. It took four months to stabalize that man's condition. He had suffered some terrible injuries.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,186,151 times
They did the right thing.

Guess who pays the transportation for the illegal alien? The hospital do. And who gets the bill? Us, through our skyrocketing health care.

Dumbasses.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:37 PM

5,795 posts, read 3,117,805 times
Quote:

Reread that thread that was linked to. It took four months to stabalize that man's condition. He had suffered some terrible injuries.
So he was not thrown out into the street.

The hospital had also spent some time looking for another placement for him, so my guess is he has been stabilized for some time.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 PM

7,526 posts, read 6,987,780 times
Quote:
Not at all, I think the hospital (and authorities) did the right thing. But you implied in your post that that incident was a waste of taxpayer and/or hospital dollars.

The ultimate answer is for the federal government to pass a comprehensive immigration reform law that will secure our borders and find some reasonable method of dealing with the illegal immigrants currently in our country.

But for now, we have millions of undocumented immigrants in the US, and just like everybody else, sometimes they have horrible accidents and need life saving treatment. Can the hospital do anything different then they have here? The alternative to treating anybody that comes into the ER is to potentially withhold treatment from anybody who cannot prove their legal immigration status on the spot. This is a terrible idea for many of the reasons I laid out in my prior post.

Edit:

No, I never implied what you said. I AM pointing out that illegal aliens in our country are costing the citizens here billions annually. That is an indisputable fact. Nobody is saying that we should deny true emergency care, but let's not gloss over the fact that it does come at a very steep price. So, when people complain about the cost of medical care and health insurance, just remember that it is because we, as a nation, choose to give free care to people who are not legally in our country. Personally, I would prefer that the government fix the border and seriously crack down on our illegal problem. Illegals should not even be in this country to seek medical care in the first place!

Stabilize and evict.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I AM pointing out that illegal aliens in our country are costing the citizens here billions annually. That is an indisputable fact.
I'm not nearly so sure about that as you are. There are studies out there that suggest that in the aggregate, illegal immigrants provide a net economic positive to the country through lowering produce costs (due to agro-business shady employment practices), cheaper repairs on houses, lack of access to Social Security and other programs, and their payment of sales taxes.

Immigrants here illegally do want to be here legally. One of the many reasons our immigration system is currently broken is that there is in many cases, these people who want to be here are never given visas. Not after a long wait, but never. An unskilled laborer from many parts of Latin America will never be able to come here legally. That should be one of the many things addressed in immigration reform.

Quote:
So, when people complain about the cost of medical care and health insurance, just remember that it is because we, as a nation, choose to give free care to people who are not legally in our country.
There are many, many reasons why health care costs in our country are significantly higher than anywhere else, and emergency room treatment of illegal immigrants is relatively low on that list.

Quote:
Personally, I would prefer that the government fix the border and seriously crack down on our illegal problem. Illegals should not even be in this country to seek medical care in the first place!

Stabilize and evict.
I broadly agree with what you say here.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:55 AM

9,857 posts, read 6,762,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Do they sell health insurance in Tijuana?
They could have bought insurance in the USA without being a citizen when they arrived unless they already knew this existed and just arrived to rape out taxpayers for their care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or