U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,842,129 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why these hard workers can't build up their own country and leave us lazy bums alone?
Black SC lawmaker: Immigrants are hardest workers (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/08/AR2011020805187.html - broken link)

Quote:
An African-American lawmaker in South Carolina said Tuesday that stricter illegal immigration laws would hurt the state because blacks and whites don't work as hard as Hispanics. State Sen. Robert Ford made his remarks during a Senate committee debate over an Arizona-style immigration law, eliciting a smattering of nervous laughter in the chamber after he said "brothers" don't work as hard as Mexicans. He continued that his "blue-eyed brothers" don't either.
Once his ancestors were freed from slavery, he said, they didn't want to do any more hard work, so they were replaced by Chinese and Japanese.
This is just historically inaccurate and down right false. They never imported that many Asians to replace these hypothetical lazy Black ex-slaves.

This is what passes for Black leadership these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 PM

3,863 posts, read 3,177,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't understand why these hard workers can't build up their own country and leave us lazy bums alone?
Black SC lawmaker: Immigrants are hardest workers (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/08/AR2011020805187.html - broken link)

This is just historically inaccurate and down right false. They never imported that many Asians to replace these hypothetical lazy Black ex-slaves.

I would hardly consider someone who thinks like that as a progressive, forward thinking American leader.

With that mindset he should be voted out of office by his own constituents and be replaced by someone who isn't self described as lazy.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:02 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,187,000 times
Stereotyping won't get laws passed.

Was there ever an Asian population in the south...heck, the east coast when slavery was in effect? I only know the asian immigrants had exploded in California when the gold rush went on.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 PM

185 posts, read 326,693 times
I stayed at some families house in Los Angeles on and off for a few years. Whites and Blacks can't get a job because, dare I say it, Hispanics have them all. Most can't speak English and have no concept of what America was (10 years ago). I moved back to Southern Illinois and I love going out places. I feel like I'm back in America again. There's teenagers flipping burgers and when you see a house being built it's always a black and white construction team. Back in LA it would be a solid spanish speaking group in every job from fast food to construction.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,250,672 times
He might or might not have a valid point about an increase in the lack of work ethic amoungst native South Carolinians, but his comments were indeed racist(it's almost funny how he doesn't realize how racist they were) and his argument was flawed. I'm shocked that someone would say something like that in a public debate.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 02-09-2011 at 12:37 AM..

Old 02-09-2011, 12:34 AM

4 posts, read 7,533 times
I must agree with TylerJAX on every point he made.

Let me add that as a born and raised SC native, I have had to re-learn a lot of issues from my youth. One of the most important is how wrong, "that's just the way it is", was...The entire country, not just the South, has had to face the reality of race and how volatile and divisive it can be.

I, like thousands of others, am looking for work. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I don't think Senator Ford is going in the right direction.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:45 AM

6,611 posts, read 10,981,094 times
If all these foreign interlopers are so "hard working" etc etc as we're being led to believe it makes you wonder why Mexico isn't doing more to stop them leaving their country........

Old 02-09-2011, 01:13 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,484,061 times
Tell that to all the black and white Americans I see camping out in front of the Labor Ready office downtown waiting for work every morning. The problem with pandering is that, in order to keep every group happy and on board, sooner or later you're going to end up having to denigrate one group in order to advocate for another. The pandering politician is in a perpetual state of contradiction.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:28 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,249,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
If all these foreign interlopers are so "hard working" etc etc as we're being led to believe it makes you wonder why Mexico isn't doing more to stop them leaving their country........
Also,If they're such a value, why aren't employers being forced to pay them more?

Old 02-09-2011, 01:46 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,169,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

Isn't he parroting the liberal/dem/progressive mantra - "they're here to work because Americans are lazy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or