U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 AM

166 posts, read 212,816 times

Advertisements

So which is it exactly? I'm hearing two quite different theories that seem to contradict each other.
One is that we should accept any and all immigrants, legal or illegal because we are a nation built on immigration. Thus we have no moral high ground and no basis for refusing entry to anyone.
Then I keep hearing that we need to grant amnesty to the dreamers (yes, I know it's been shot down multiple times, they refuse to wake up) because they had no choice when their parents brought them here as sweet innocent children (they're always sweet innocent children). They can't be held responsible for the actions of their parents.
So what I gather is that I'm responsible for what my ancestors did 200 years ago, but they are blameless for the actions of their parents in the last 2 decades??
I can't get over the hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,100,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
So which is it exactly? I'm hearing two quite different theories that seem to contradict each other.
One is that we should accept any and all immigrants, legal or illegal because we are a nation built on immigration. Thus we have no moral high ground and no basis for refusing entry to anyone.
Then I keep hearing that we need to grant amnesty to the dreamers (yes, I know it's been shot down multiple times, they refuse to wake up) because they had no choice when their parents brought them here as sweet innocent children (they're always sweet innocent children). They can't be held responsible for the actions of their parents.
So what I gather is that I'm responsible for what my ancestors did 200 years ago, but they are blameless for the actions of their parents in the last 2 decades??
You are responsible to yourself and your ideas of what you expect your country to be. You are one American citizen with one vote and a voice.

Dont worry what others are thinking. Work for the America you want...just as every other American citizen has the right to do.

Illegail immigration problems will be solved by the majority of Americans with like-minded solutions.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 AM

3,858 posts, read 5,981,349 times
I can't make head nor tail of the OP's post.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I can't make head nor tail of the OP's post.
She takes a right wing view of a mythical left wing belief and claims it is incompatible with with another right wing myth on a left wing belief.

She demonstrates that the right wing does not keep their myths about the left in logical order.

What's new?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,539,879 times
Hope this give you a little insight that you seek

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I did a little bit of research and I found that he did actually write this but not in 1907 it was just before he died in 1919. And he also said "Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or to leave the country," he said in a statement to the Kansas City Star in 1918. "English should be the only language taught or used in the public schools." He also said in 1917 in a speech he made that "It is our boast that we admit the immigrant to full fellowship and equality with the native-born. In return we demand that he shall share our undivided allegiance to the one flag which floats over all of us."

Old 02-09-2011, 12:06 PM

13,501 posts, read 14,054,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
She takes a right wing view of a mythical left wing belief and claims it is incompatible with with another right wing myth on a left wing belief.

She demonstrates that the right wing does not keep their myths about the left in logical order.

What's new?

thanks for the translation

Old 02-09-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Hope this give you a little insight that you seek

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I did a little bit of research and I found that he did actually write this but not in 1907 it was just before he died in 1919. And he also said "Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or to leave the country," he said in a statement to the Kansas City Star in 1918. "English should be the only language taught or used in the public schools." He also said in 1917 in a speech he made that "It is our boast that we admit the immigrant to full fellowship and equality with the native-born. In return we demand that he shall share our undivided allegiance to the one flag which floats over all of us."
The Dream Act folk are pretty much all assimilated and fluent english speakers well in love with the USofA. Does not make them acceptable apparently.

I would also point out that USSC decisions do not agree with Ted R's views.

Last edited by olecapt; 02-09-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,989,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
You mean the same way the illegal alien advocate groups scream "racist!!" every time a law is proposed to limit illegal immigration yet fail to see the irony in headlines claiming "latinos" feel "threatened" by same as though there ARE no other illegals?

Basically they just want it both ways. They want to ignore or repeal any laws that infringe on their "rights" to be here illegally, yet claim their "rights" UNDER the laws of this country when it benefits them.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 PM

32,999 posts, read 30,260,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The Dream Act folk are pretty much all assimilated and fluent english speakers will in love with the USofA. Does not make them acceptable apparently.
It doesn't and here is why. For every one of your DREAMIES there are normally 2 parents to go along with them ,plus, (usually) some other illegal siblings. We cannot make exceptions because the World is watching and it would easily become a bigger draw than the 1986 amnesty. We have to toe the line for ALL illegal aliens not just the status queue. It is another form of amnesty.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It doesn't and here is why. For every one of your DREAMIES there are normally 2 parents to go along with them ,plus, (usually) some other illegal siblings. We cannot make exceptions because the World is watching and it would easily become a bigger draw than the 1986 amnesty. We have to toe the line for ALL illegal aliens not just the status queue. It is another form of amnesty.
As I said...the right does not agree with Teddy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration