Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
They will wait for a Dream Act. Virtually certain in the next 10 years.

In the interim we continue to force the development of a gray economy without proper tax withholding and such.

It is actually pretty dumb but we insist on our constitutional right to be stupid.
Are you sure you aren’t DA User from DAP?

The DREAM Act will NOT pass, and we WILL rid our country of this scourge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Please visit post #17, in which you responded to my “travesty” comment, by stating the following. . .

Whatever the cost, it is far less than we are currently paying annually to support illegal aliens and their anchor babies.

And, we don’t have to deport all. We simply need to enforce our laws, and make their lives a living hell. Most will leave without taxpayers spending a dime.
You used travesty not I. I agreed that we all whine about court decision that we don't like.

Your cost arguments are of course nonsense. In general the illegals are far cheaper than their replacement...whoever that may be. And of course they will be replaced. The society does not function without maids and landscapers.

So economics is one of the counter arguments for leaving the illegals and not having an amnesty. Costs too much if you make them legal.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s your prerogative. Unlike you, I don’t consider a law a travesty simply because it’s a law "I don’t care for.” I consider this law a travesty because it makes a mockery of our judicial system, and gives preferential treatment to illegal aliens. It absolves them of the CRIME of SSN ID theft/document fraud by justifying their motives, notwithstanding the fact that they commit the crime to violate additional laws. After all, it is ILLEGAL for them to work in this country -- a fact the Supreme Court obviously ignored.

Name one law in which a citizen can commit a felony and be “forgiven” if they claim they committed the crime to support their family. Even more absurd would be a law that absolves citizens of the crime of drug trafficking if they did so to save enough money to open a call girl operation (of course to support their family). That’s essentially what the Supreme Court ruling does. It allows illegal aliens to commit ID theft and fraud to obtain illegal employment. If that isn’t a travesty, I don’t know what on earth is.

DREAMies are illegal aliens, period. When caught, they should be deported, not coddled or applauded. We don’t have provisions in our immigration laws for illegals who entered our country prior to adulthood. Hence, the law should be enforced accordingly.
Thank you once again, this law does make a travesty out of our judicial system. Once again your right!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
They will wait for a Dream Act. Virtually certain in the next 10 years.

In the interim we continue to force the development of a gray economy without proper tax withholding and such.

It is actually pretty dumb but we insist on our constitutional right to be stupid.
They can wait all they want it ain't gonna happen 10 or even 20 years from now.

If Americans were given the jobs that these illegals are holding the proper tax w/h would be taken from their paychecks.

What is stupid is not pulling out all the stops to rid our country of illegal aliens and ideally by allowing them to leave voluntarily by making their lives miserable as Benicar pointed out.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
You used travesty not I. I agreed that we all whine about court decision that we don't like.

Your cost arguments are of course nonsense. In general the illegals are far cheaper than their replacement...whoever that may be. And of course they will be replaced. The society does not function without maids and landscapers.

So economics is one of the counter arguments for leaving the illegals and not having an amnesty. Costs too much if you make them legal.
No, their replacements (citizens and legal immigrants) would actually be cheaper when you factor in all the social costs of illegal aliens. Oh, Americans have never been maids or lanscapers? Do tell!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:

So, it’s nonsense to incur a one-time cost, rather than an annual cost of billions?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, their replacements (citizens and legal immigrants) would actually be cheaper when you factor in all the social costs of illegal aliens. Oh, Americans have never been maids or lanscapers? Do tell!
Exactly! Plus, if they can’t afford to operate within the law, they don’t deserve to remain in business.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Nope. See CIS study on amnesty. One reason that they caution against amnesty is the vast increase in social service costs. They point out that illegals are vastly cheaper in that area than natives or legals of similar socio-economic status. So if you replace the illegals the local social service cost goes up a lot.

Look it up...CIS is on your side of this discussion.

You could of course argue that no one else will be let in and natives and present legals will fill those jobs. Maybe. But you still got to move a half million or so people from elsewhere to LA and the social service costs in LA will take a big up as a more eligible population moves in.

Things may get better in rural Alabama or Georgia though.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Nope. See CIS study on amnesty. One reason that they caution against amnesty is the vast increase in social service costs. They point out that illegals are vastly cheaper in that area than natives or legals of similar socio-economic status. So if you replace the illegals the local social service cost goes up a lot.

Look it up...CIS is on your side of this discussion.

You could of course argue that no one else will be let in and natives and present legals will fill those jobs. Maybe. But you still got to move a half million or so people from elsewhere to LA and the social service costs in LA will take a big up as a more eligible population moves in.

Things may get better in rural Alabama or Georgia though.
Hogwash! Illegal immigration is a HUGE tax burden, and CIS isn’t advocating the status quo. They are merely stating a fact, that if legalized, even more will be added to our welfare rolls.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:

Illegals cost the country $113 billion annually. They pay $13 billion in taxes. Net cost is $100 billion each year.

I fail to see how they are cheap in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration