Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:58 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times

Advertisements

Too many illegals are abusing our emergency rooms for non-emergency medical treatment. While hospitals, taxpayers, and the insured would continue to bear the burden for nonpayment of illegals’ bills, perhaps this would at least minimize the costs. We can’t be the healthcare provider for the world. However, I doubt this will pass.

Quote:
PHOENIX -- A new bill making its way through Arizona's state legislature is drawing a lot of attention. It's Senate Bill 1405. Some call it the hospital version of SB 1070.

If SB 1405 passes, hospitals would be required to check a patient's citizenship status after administering any emergency medical care.
Hospital Version Of SB 1070 Proposed - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 01:14 PM

166 posts, read 246,691 times
Maybe it will at least eliminate the second, third, etc. visit that the taxpayers will be expected to pay. Good for Arizona!
This bit gave me a minute of shaking my head....

Quote:
"Now in her mid-20s, she said she understands all too well the implications of such legislation. She said if passed, undocumented people such as herself would think twice before seeking medical attention.

"A lot of people will get sick and they could even die," she said.

She said she knows how afraid she and her family would be, knowing if they seek medical care, they could be deported.

"I would be scared, I would be scared to be separated from loved ones that we have here so it's not fair that they're trying to pass that," she said."
I can't believe that they would rather die than even risk being deported. But this is the USA, they get to decide.
Not Fair?? There are a few things not fair about this, get over it. You're sick and won't seek medical help because you may be deported? Good luck with that, but it isn't our problem.
I do however have a solution for Miss illegal alien. Go seek medical help in your native land. They won't deport you. Of course they're going to expect payment. Choices, choices.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
Maybe it will at least eliminate the second, third, etc. visit that the taxpayers will be expected to pay. Good for Arizona!
This bit gave me a minute of shaking my head....

I can't believe that they would rather die than even risk being deported. But this is the USA, they get to decide.
Not Fair?? There are a few things not fair about this, get over it. You're sick and won't seek medical help because you may be deported? Good luck with that, but it isn't our problem.
I do however have a solution for Miss illegal alien. Go seek medical help in your native land. They won't deport you. Of course they're going to expect payment. Choices, choices.
Of course, we are expected to believe they would rather die than be deported, knowing they could easily return within a few days.

Their ridiculous sob stories only fool the gullible.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:30 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
You folks just don't understand the rules.

The Feds will never go after anyone who is sick or potentially so. They simple refuse. The Feds don't want the potential liabiliity for the care of a sick illegal...and while sick they may well not be deportable.

After a number of these chase and crash incidents the Feds only arrest those who are uninjured. They leave the injured to the locals...and they will never arrest anyone who is badly or permanently damaged.

So the last people the Feds are going to accept is those going to the ER.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You folks just don't understand the rules.

The Feds will never go after anyone who is sick or potentially so. They simple refuse. The Feds don't want the potential liabiliity for the care of a sick illegal...and while sick they may well not be deportable.

After a number of these chase and crash incidents the Feds only arrest those who are uninjured. They leave the injured to the locals...and they will never arrest anyone who is badly or permanently damaged.

So the last people the Feds are going to accept is those going to the ER.
I understand the rules well enough to know that it is a violation of federal law to enter this country without authorization, to overstay visas, and to work in this country without legal status. Illegal aliens are bankrupting hospitals, and we have every right to identify them regardless of circumstances.

Don’t tell me if enough hospitals are forced to close due to illegal immigration, and if enough citizens and legal residents die due to illegals receiving treatment, the Feds won’t take action.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I understand the rules well enough to know that it is a violation of federal law to enter this country without authorization, to overstay visas, and to work in this country without legal status. Illegal aliens are bankrupting hospitals, and we have every right to identify them regardless of circumstances.

Don’t tell me if enough hospitals are forced to close due to illegal immigration, and if enough citizens and legal residents die due to illegals receiving treatment, the Feds won’t take action.
And you obviously don't understand the rules well enough to know that the behavior of ICE is at ICE's discretion and they use that discretion to avoid apprehending expensive illegals. They appear to be chasing the criminals and the easy at the moment. And they can absorb all the available resource with that set alone.

I too am of the opinion the feds should cover the cost of hospitalization for illegals. In actual fact the feds should put them all on medicaid. Note that if the feds simply pick up the cost of illegal hospitalization the hospitals will immediately game the system and provide huge bills to the feds.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
And you obviously don't understand the rules well enough to know that the behavior of ICE is at ICE's discretion and they use that discretion to avoid apprehending expensive illegals. They appear to be chasing the criminals and the easy at the moment. And they can absorb all the available resource with that set alone.

I too am of the opinion the feds should cover the cost of hospitalization for illegals. In actual fact the feds should put them all on medicaid. Note that if the feds simply pick up the cost of illegal hospitalization the hospitals will immediately game the system and provide huge bills to the feds.
I too? When did I advocate having taxpayers foot the bills for illegal aliens? No, I do NOT believe “the feds” aka U.S. taxpayers should cover the medical costs for illegals. Medicaid? You can’t be serious. We are not obligated to provide medical treatment for people who are in this country illegally. The law requires emergency treatment, period. It does not, nor should it, require U.S. taxpayers to treat the world’s sick.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I too? When did I advocate having taxpayers foot the bills for illegal aliens? No, I do NOT believe “the feds” aka U.S. taxpayers should cover the medical costs for illegals. Medicaid? You can’t be serious. We are not obligated to provide medical treatment for people who are in this country illegally. The law requires emergency treatment, period. It does not, nor should it, require U.S. taxpayers to treat the world’s sick.
Yup - You keep your head buried firmly in the sand. They should not be here...but they are here. They are not leaving. The present medical care system drives costs through the roof, threatens local hospitals and serves the patients badly.

We should fix that.

Your position appears to be that it is OK to bankrupt the local hospitals...I would prefer the feds pick up the bill as they caused the problem. Medicaid would simply provide better care likely at a lower cost with a better outcome. Note that American born children already pretty much get it.

I agree that the taxpayer pays the bills...but do you want the bills concentrated in a few local areas or spread over the population.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:12 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Quote:
Too many illegals are abusing our emergency rooms for non-emergency medical treatment. While hospitals, taxpayers, and the insured would continue to bear the burden for nonpayment of illegals’ bills, perhaps this would at least minimize the costs. We can’t be the healthcare provider for the world. However, I doubt this will pass.

Hospital Version Of SB 1070 Proposed - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix
Just plain common sense

Americans have been very generous, but you can't be generous with people who hate this country and want to milk the system by entering illegally. and besides WERE BROKE !

And for the ones that do not agree, PLEASE send YOUR
checks to;

Department of the Treasury
C/O Illegal Alien Hospital Fund
1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20220

Old 02-12-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Yup - You keep your head buried firmly in the sand. They should not be here...but they are here. They are not leaving. The present medical care system drives costs through the roof, threatens local hospitals and serves the patients badly.

We should fix that.

Your position appears to be that it is OK to bankrupt the local hospitals...I would prefer the feds pick up the bill as they caused the problem. Medicaid would simply provide better care likely at a lower cost with a better outcome. Note that American born children already pretty much get it.

I agree that the taxpayer pays the bills...but do you want the bills concentrated in a few local areas or spread over the population.
Again, you are ignoring the fact that the Feds are U.S. taxpayers, and we should not bear this burden. We should treat bona fide emergencies, and then send them to ICE. If they can’t pay for non-emergency treatment, they shouldn’t receive it. We have enough problems providing for our own uninsured. Perhaps if life were a little less pleasant they will be forced to return home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration