Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:10 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
So go back and spit on Reagan and Bush I. They are the ones who initially screwed it up. And that is too bad.

But that happened and every adminstration since has compounded the problem.

So you want to fix it or let it run its course?
Another POINTLESS post blaming the past (which cannot be changed).

The only thing we can do know is change the course for the FUTURE and start enforcing the laws NOW.

She should be deported asap. If the Judge wasn't a PC coward he would have done that. How many Americans get a 1 year deferment on ANY crimes comitted?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Ultimately this case is very simple: you have no right to drive without a license. You have no right to drive without insurance. You have no right to lie to a cop. You have no right to lie on a college application form.
Legally you are correct. Morally and ethically you may get a different answer.

Cite the source that she lied on her college application.

Quote:
If you do all of those things you can hardly complain when you get in serious trouble.

And I still want to hear any reasonable rationale why a single American should be taxed to pay for the medical costs of illegal migrants. Because I doubt any politician could ever get elected if they espoused such a ludicrous notion.
Actually it is the current law. We pay for the ER treatment of anyone present.

What is the alternative?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Legally you are correct. Morally and ethically you may get a different answer.

Cite the source that she lied on her college application.

What is the alternative?
What moral and ethnical imperative gives one the right to drive without a license or registration, the right to lie to a cop and the right to put false information on a college application?

What human rights principle are we discussing here? She's not being discrimated on the basis of her skin color or her sex. She actually has the right to apply for admissions to an American college as a foreign national. What gives her the right to ignore all laws that dictate otherwise?

And yes, you can go to an emergency room and get care. You just can't get free care. You will be billed. Please show me where this is not true. Hospital services are not free. Lose your insurance and yes, you can go to an ER. But again you will get a bill later.

Why should a single American be billed so that an illegal migrant can avoid paying for an ER visit? I just looked over my federal taxes from last year. My husband and I paid about 15k in federal taxes plus an additional 6k for our medical premiums. We probably owe even more. Why should I have to pay even more money so that an illegal migrant doesn't have to? Over half of all illegal migrants are Mexican. Mexico has state provided health care. Why should I have to pay for the care of Mexican nationals as well as my own health care bills?

Are you really arguing that a foreigner should be able to go the ER and get free health care? As for what is the alternative that is simple: if are a foreigner and you go the ER you face the same rules as Americans: either you have medical insurance or you have to pay. You will get treated but you still have to pay. If you do not pay, you will get in trouble. Once stabilized every single foreigner, just like every single American, has to provide evidence of insurance. If you can't you get discharged.

I believe that is the current law. We don't just unilaterally ignore someone's medical costs. You can and will get billed if you walk into an ER without insurance.

Frankly as a liberal I think every single American should have access to NHC regardless of ability to pay. But I think it would remarkly stupid to tell immigrants, let alone illegal immigrants, that free health care is theirs for the taking at American expense.

You keep writing as if foreign nationals should be able to do whatever they want just because they haven't gotten caught. That proposition is neither legal, moral nor sustainable long term.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:42 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:

What is the alternative?
Well.....we don't pay for the treatment of just ANYONE present. When my son was two years old, he ended up in the emergency room with pneumonia. At the time, I had just been laid off, my son's father paid no child support whatsoever, and I was weeks away from being evicted. After hearing of my then current financial situation, the hospital generously decided that I should be allowed to pay them off over time for my son's treatment at the low, low price of $250 a month.

Nobody offered up taxpayer dollars to assist me, an American citizen who had paid into the system all of her adult life, and, when I later lost my house and was forced to live in my car with my two year old son for a month and a half until I could find another job, the oh-so-generous folks in accounts receivable at the hospital called nearly everybody I knew, leaning on them to lean on me for the $250 a month payment for my son's medical bills.

We pay for the treatment of anyone present?

Only if they are illegally present.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Well.....we don't pay for the treatment of just ANYONE present. When my son was two years old, he ended up in the emergency room with pneumonia. At the time, I had just been laid off, my son's father paid no child support whatsoever, and I was weeks away from being evicted. After hearing of my then current financial situation, the hospital generously decided that I should be allowed to pay them off over time for my son's treatment at the low, low price of $250 a month.

Nobody offered up taxpayer dollars to assist me, an American citizen who had paid into the system all of her adult life, and, when I later lost my house and was forced to live in my car with my two year old son for a month and a half until I could find another job, the oh-so-generous folks in accounts receivable at the hospital called nearly everybody I knew, leaning on them to lean on me for the $250 a month payment for my son's medical bills.

That sucks.

I was actually without medical insurance for a period of time because I couldn't afford grad school and COBRA. I was mugged and pushed down a flight of stairs. The hospital did not forgive my resulting medical bills. I actually did not get physical therapy for my ankle because again I couldn't afford it.

I do not understand why I am supposed to pay for my medical bills but an illegal migrant is entitled to free medical care. Why are Americans on the hook but a foreign national should not be?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

Sorry for your predicament. The system does favor the illegal but for bad reasons. They can't get into the system enough to be harrassable.

The hospitals do try and collect from illegals and those on welfare etc. Just does not yield much results. I would also note that the hospitals overcharge you all to hell in that circumstance.

It would also appear that your child got treated even though you did not pay at the time of service.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
That sucks.

I was actually without medical insurance for a period of time because I couldn't afford grad school and COBRA. I was mugged and pushed down a flight of stairs. The hospital did not forgive my resulting medical bills. I actually did not get physical therapy for my ankle because again I couldn't afford it.

I do not understand why I am supposed to pay for my medical bills but an illegal migrant is entitled to free medical care. Why are Americans on the hook but a foreign national should not be?
Cite the reference where illegals get free medical care.

Practically anyone in the economic level of the illegals get free medical care for at least ER services and sometimes more. The inability to pay works wonders.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:16 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
That sucks.

Oh trust me, foreign nationals here legally are definitely "on the hook" for the bills. We don't get ours forgiven because we can just run away from them using false identities, names and addresses. Only those here illegally seem to be able to just walk away from their bills

Anyway, back on topic, this self entitled cow already tied up the courts by insisting on a JURY TRIAL for her allegedly (according to some here) "trivial offense", but if she doesn't like the jury verdict she'll tie up even more resources and court time by appealing...........some lawyer she'd make. She sure has being a piece of entitled slime down pat, so maybe she'd fit right in.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Oh trust me, foreign nationals here legally are definitely "on the hook" for the bills. We don't get ours forgiven because we can just run away from them using false identities, names and addresses. Only those here illegally seem to be able to just walk away from their bills

Anyway, back on topic, this self entitled cow already tied up the courts by insisting on a JURY TRIAL for her allegedly (according to some here) "trivial offense"
Actually all you got to do is be poor enough and it is free.

I do think the illegals get a leg up...because they are locked out of the system making them very difficult to harrass. The creditor can turn them in to ICE I suppose. But that won't get you paid.

You now want to ban jury trials for those you don't approve of?

She was convicted and has an appeal going to the state supreme court by a major law firm (working pro bono I think). Apparently some don't believe this whole thing is on the up and up.

Last edited by olecapt; 02-13-2011 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Sorry for your predicament. The system does favor the illegal but for bad reasons. They can't get into the system enough to be harrassable.

The hospitals do try and collect from illegals and those on welfare etc. Just does not yield much results. I would also note that the hospitals overcharge you all to hell in that circumstance.

It would also appear that your child got treated even though you did not pay at the time of service.
Quote:
Cite the reference where illegals get free medical care.

Practically anyone in the economic level of the illegas get free medical care for at least ER services and sometimes more. The inability to pay works wonders.
Please read your own post. If the hospital doesn't try to collect from the illegal migrant that means they're essentially getting free care. You then went on to argue that illegal immigrants should have medical care paid for by medicaid. In other words free medical care at the American taxpayer's expense.

I reiterate: why should anyone but the illegal migrant have to pay for their medical costs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration