U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2011, 11:18 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,385,153 times
Reputation: 2345

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Your “solution” is amnesty, and then a “sustainable” level of 300,000 illegal aliens. That’s not a solution; that is simply throwing in the towel.

So, those who do not embrace illegal immigration are heathens? And, you expect to be considered a serious debater?
Even giving DL's to illegals is a form of backdoor amnesty. They can then use the DL as a form of ID and essentially avoid deportation. The whole argument is ridiculous. If you don't have legal permission to drive don't drive. If you drive without a license you will be prosecuted and then deported. Why should our laws be otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2011, 11:22 AM
 
23,873 posts, read 17,571,986 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It may or may not. It's already at just about worst case scenario. Apparently, States have to hit rock bottom before they act on this.

So, if they revoke it I hope the pro-illegals raise such a stink the feds have to step in.

Or,if they don't I hope EVERY illegal moves there on the basis of "DL".
isn't the very fact that 'it may' be a possibility a good enough reason to do away with it? even rep. nunez, the man who made it possible for illegals to get licenses in the first place but finally recognizes how stupid that was and has sponsored the current bill to change it back, admits that's what's happening. from your link:

Quote:
"They don't even stay in New Mexico. They use the licenses to go to Texas, Arizona, Colorado," he said.
because your dream that every illegal in the country will move to one of the poorest states in the nation- with very few jobs available as it is - simply to get a drivers license, just isn't gonna happen. and the scenario of federal intervention is nearly as unlikely.

Last edited by uggabugga; 02-14-2011 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 11:38 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
isn't the very fact that 'it may' be a possibility a good enough reason to do away with it?

because your dream that every illegal in the country will move to one of the poorest states in the nation- with very few jobs available as it is - simply to get a drivers license, just isn't gonna happen. and the scenario of federal intervention is nearly as unlikely.
Looks partisan to me...

Nunez said he can swing enough Democratic votes to win, if he can get his bill to a floor debate. Democrats, the majority party, control legislative committees. One of those could shelve Nunez's bill without it getting a full hearing.


Now that everyone knows which States are friendly to illegals I fully expect they will flock there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 AM
 
23,873 posts, read 17,571,986 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Looks partisan to me...

Nunez said he can swing enough Democratic votes to win, if he can get his bill to a floor debate. Democrats, the majority party, control legislative committees. One of those could shelve Nunez's bill without it getting a full hearing.


Now that everyone knows which States are friendly to illegals I fully expect they will flock there.
it's certainly possible it could get shelved; why that would be in any way desirable, i still don't understand. i edited my last post while you were typing yours, after noticing that nunez himself admits that the illegals are using their NM licenses to go to other states.

i don't want them to flock here, they're ruining my state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's certainly possible it could get shelved; why that would be in any way desirable, i still don't understand. i edited my last post while you were typing yours, after noticing that nunez himself admits that the illegals are using their NM licenses to go to other states.

i don't want them to flock here, they're ruining my state
That’s the same scam they used in Maryland. They flocked here from every state on the East Coast, by using bogus MD addresses. It was later discovered that hundreds of illegals had used the same address on numerous occasions. Now, finally, MD has stopped issuing licenses to illegals, but the damage is already done. They have used those DLs as a valid form of ID, in addition to using them to get a DL in other states. I hate to even think of the thousands that were issued voter registration cards by “affirming” U.S. citizenship on the forms attached to their Maryland DL application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM
 
23,873 posts, read 17,571,986 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s the same scam they used in Maryland. They flocked here from every state on the East Coast, by using bogus MD addresses. It was later discovered that hundreds of illegals had used the same address on numerous occasions. Now, finally, MD has stopped issuing licenses to illegals, but the damage is already done. They have used those DLs as a valid form of ID, in addition to using them to get a DL in other states. I hate to even think of the thousands that were issued voter registration cards by “affirming” U.S. citizenship on the forms attached to their Maryland DL application.
that is exactly the problem. a state DL opens all kinds of doors that would otherwise be closed, and quite often these doors happen to be in states other than the ones stupid enough to give out licenses to illegals in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 01:37 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's certainly possible it could get shelved; why that would be in any way desirable, i still don't understand. i edited my last post while you were typing yours, after noticing that nunez himself admits that the illegals are using their NM licenses to go to other states.

i don't want them to flock here, they're ruining my state
I'm sorry you live in the same situation as myself but I've started to rethink how we are attacking this. The States will have to do something to force the Feds hand. If that involves more and more States suing the Feds (with evidence) of the damage from illegals we are going to have to do it. If States want to hand out DLs and Cities want to become sanctuary then those will be the chosen ones to fall on the sword and sue the Feds or be sued by the Feds. Court action is our best bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 PM
 
23,873 posts, read 17,571,986 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm sorry you live in the same situation as myself but I've started to rethink how we are attacking this. The States will have to do something to force the Feds hand. If that involves more and more States suing the Feds (with evidence) of the damage from illegals we are going to have to do it. If States want to hand out DLs and Cities want to become sanctuary then those will be the chosen ones to fall on the sword and sue the Feds or be sued by the Feds. Court action is our best bet.
i'm sorry but i think you have this all wrong. states and cities stupid enough to allow sanctuary status are a] in no position to be suing the federal govt. when they themselves put out the welcome mats, b] are unlikely to even try, and C] even less likely to win such in such a scenario.
as for the feds suing the states/cities - i wish that was even a remote possibility, but the reality is we have A.G. 'dumbass' eric holder suing the state of AZ for even thinking about doing what the feds refuse to do, so that's a no-go as well.

i think you had it right in the title:

Quote:
granting DLs to illegals was a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i'm sorry but i think you have this all wrong. states and cities stupid enough to allow sanctuary status are a] in no position to be suing the federal govt. when they themselves put out the welcome mats, b] are unlikely to even try, and C] even less likely to win such in such a scenario.
as for the feds suing the states/cities - i wish that was even a remote possibility, but the reality is we have A.G. 'dumbass' eric holder suing the state of AZ for even thinking about doing what the feds refuse to do, so that's a no-go as well.

i think you had it right in the title:
I think we are on the same page. If a City can claim Sanct status they should be sued by the Feds if the Feds can sue a State for passing legislation to make it easier to remove illegals. It appears the only time the Feds listen to tax payers is through the court system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 02:19 PM
 
23,873 posts, read 17,571,986 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I think we are on the same page. If a City can claim Sanct status they should be sued by the Feds if the Feds can sue a State for passing legislation to make it easier to remove illegals. It appears the only time the Feds listen to tax payers is through the court system.
absolutely. i completely agree that should happen, but have no confidence whatsoever that it will. ever.

in the meantime, not handing out DLs to illegals seems like a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top