U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 07:57 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,614,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why there is even a question since multiculturalism is a fact of American life always has been and always will be as long as people from divergent cultures exist in this country.

The only good or bad thing is when some folks are going to be willing to accept the fact or remain in denial.

ON EDIT:

If I were forced to answer the question, I would say that if we consider the U.S. to be a successful nation so far, then Multiculturalism is without a doubt a good thing since the U.S. as it is today, would not have achieved greatness without it.
I disagree. The us was always a multiracial society. Untill the 70's or so we had a single culture with input from many. Not so now. The europeans are waking up now. Last year merke from germany, just recently the british pm and now sarkozy indicated multiculturalism had failed europe. It's failing the us. I believe we've reached the no return point. Thanks a lot.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I disagree. The us was always a multiracial society. Untill the 70's or so we had a single culture with input from many. Not so now. The europeans are waking up now. Last year merke from germany, just recently the british pm and now sarkozy indicated multiculturalism had failed europe. It's failing the us. I believe we've reached the no return point. Thanks a lot.
Multi cultured in one language.

Everyone assimilated until now.

Quote:
We should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an

American and assimilates himself to us he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birth-place or origin.

But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people...... By Teddy Roosevelt

Old 02-17-2011, 07:22 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I think this is key.

Multi-racial = more successful than multi-cultural.

My secretary is black and from England. She was railing last week against "multicultural" England and foreigners who come to London and expect the English to change their ways!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

Everyone assimilated until now.
Dual citizenship isn't something new but considering the failure of many latinos to assimilate and our open borders policy with mexico I find this trend......troubling.

source

Quote:
Mexicans Seeking Dual Citizenship for Their Children

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina – More and more Mexican parents with children born in the United States are requesting dual citizenship for them, according to officials at Mexico’s consulate in Raleigh, capital of North Carolina.

The consulate in Raleigh serves more than half a million Mexicans who live in the Carolinas.

Under Mexican law, people born in another country can obtain Mexican citizenship if one of their parents is Mexican and without having to renounce their citizenship in their birth nation.

According to figures compiled by the consulate, in 2005 just 415 people requested dual citizenship, but by 2008 that figure had risen to 4,745 and in 2010 it was 4,918.

Lorenzo Preciado, the official in charge of the consulate’s documentation department, said that the situation can be explained by different factors, including the increase in the Mexican population in the area, greater access to consular services and the strict immigration laws in the United States.

“Parents also want their children to obtain (Mexican) nationality to keep the Mexican identity in the family. This is a very strict procedure, because the Mexican government strongly protects the integrity of minors,” Preciado said.

The consulate in Raleigh each day processes between 50 and 70 citizenship registrations of children with Mexican parents.

Due to the great demand, the consulate is also offering the service on specially designated weekends that it organizes each month in North and South Carolina counties.

On Feb. 12 in Charlotte, the largest city in North Carolina, dozens of families showed up at the mobile consulate to register their children as Mexicans.

“We’re Mexican and we also want our children to be. It’s something we had to do but we didn’t have the opportunity and today at last we could,” Belen Rojas, originally from Hidalgo, told Efe after registering her 2-year-old son, Ariel.........

Old 02-17-2011, 07:29 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,106,910 times
I think JazzyTallGuy should admit, that he hates his race and white people in general. It is so evident in his postings that he is a racist, like many liberals who hide behind the multicultural facade

Old 02-17-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think this is key.

Multi-racial = more successful than multi-cultural.

My secretary is black and from England. She was railing last week against "multicultural" England and foreigners who come to London and expect the English to change their ways!
Americans solved the problem with people of different faiths living together. In my youth I felt we could solve the problem of race as well. Then along came identity politics and the "victimization" mantra. Now with multiculturalism as the new "model" I believe we have simply "institutionalized" race.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think JazzyTallGuy should admit, that he hates his race and white people in general. It is so evident in his postings that he is a racist, like many liberals who hide behind the multicultural facade
Limousine liberals.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,149,377 times
I can think of a whole slew of immigrants that came to the U.S. (in the late 19th and early 20th century) who accomplished great things.

For example, we would not have a motion picture industry if not for them. The Warner Brothers were sons of immigrants, Louis B. Mayer was an immigrant, Charlie Chaplin...I could go on and on. They came here, assimilated, learned English, worked hard, and took advantage of opportunity. They didn't cling to their culture and language and hide in a ghetto amongst their own, expecting entitlements (though there were none at the time). They got out, acted more like Americans than most natural born Americans, and accomplished!

The difference between the immigrants of 100 years ago and the new crop is the attitude. Used to be, most newcomers couldn't wait to be "Americanized". Now a lot of them (not all) do seem to want the privileges (entitlements) of being American without the responsibilities (assimilating, learning English, and contributing).

Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Mrs. Skeffington We are talking about large scale immigration.

When is enough enough?

Sure countries are willing to accept immigrants, but should it be a limit? How does it affect existing society?

Clearly is animosity and a push for autonomy by groups

Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,004,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I'm trying to imagine what that one language would be like if it didn't evolve with multi-cultural, multi-ethnic and multi-linguistic influences.

Key words...
Culture (origin: Latin, cultura)
Ethnic (origin: Greek, ethnos)
Language (origin: French, langage)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration