Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:47 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have never supported dual citizenship. IMO, it’s like having a spouse and a lover. Your loyalties are divided.
I totally agree, Benicar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:49 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Last I checked having two spouses was illegal.
In some cultures. In some cultures have two or more spouses is considered a good thing.

And in some cultures having a lover is illegal...

Old 02-16-2011, 02:20 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Is a dual citizenship OK when a leader of country claims part of the other country is theirs and saying "wherever there is a Mexican there is Mexico."

Old 02-16-2011, 02:31 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
1. Most dual citizens are not even aware of their dual citizenship, as few Americans are familiar with the citizenship laws of their ancestral homelands.

2. Dual citizenship can bring benefits (and obligations) that have nothing to do with loyalty. For example, the ability to inherit or own property, or sometimes even just get a job can be based on citizenship.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
In some cultures. In some cultures have two or more spouses is considered a good thing.

And in some cultures having a lover is illegal...
This isn't about other cultures, although some cultures feel they have the right to break the law. In this country having two spouses is illegal.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:49 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
i liken it more to having divorced parents.

dual citizenship does not preclude national loyalty...

this has been forumed to death here...

Quote:
I have never supported dual citizenship. IMO, it’s like having a spouse and a lover. Your loyalties are divided.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

It could in some cases though. Many of Mexican ancestry even though born here are still fiercely loyal to Mexico and Mexicans. Many even put those Mexican illegals here above our laws and are pro-amnesty for them and any Americans who oppose those views are deemed racists even though they are their fellow Americans.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:17 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
the issue is with dual citizenship. and having dual citizenship has never been proven or shown to make one less patriotic.

if anything it has only provided some people an escape route from severe punishment (i.e. the US citizen who fled to martinique or a french carribean island and sought to be tried [there] for a murder he comitted in the US. his mother is french, thus he has french citizenship) i dont agree with those kind of situations. otherwise there is not really a problem with dual citizenship. it will not make you hate the country you live in, or be more loyal to another country.

many people have dual citizenship. i know some of them. they are just as patriotic as anyone in the US.

it has too be taken on a case by case basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It could in some cases though. Many of Mexican ancestry even though born here are still fiercely loyal to Mexico and Mexicans. Many even put those Mexican illegals here above our laws and are pro-amnesty for them and any Americans who oppose those views are deemed racists even though they are their fellow Americans.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:43 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

You’re right, this has been discussed before. No need to beat a dead horse. However, let’s hope none of those with dual citizenship ever have to decide during wartime, between defending the U.S., or their other country of equal allegiance.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:03 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
You’re right, this has been discussed before. No need to beat a dead horse. However, let’s hope none of those with dual citizenship ever have to decide during wartime, between defending the U.S., or their other country of equal allegiance.
I'm not making a case against dual citizenship but the issue of divided loyalties came up in WW2. When a German POW escaped from a Canadian POW camp he used a series of German safehouses to make his way down to Mexico. He was apprehended in San Antonio.

PoW Escape from Camp 30 Bowmanville
The Abwehr’s agents had provided Krug with names and addresses of safe houses, which he was to contact if he were to make it safely to Detroit. His first contact was a Mrs. Bertelmann who in turn introduced him to restaurant owner Max Stephan. Given food and lodging and money for his trip, Krug headed out for his final destination, Mexico, a neutral country.

(it's an interesting Great Escape type story complete with papier-maché dummies to fool the guards at roll call)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration