U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 03:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,491,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
According to a Pew Hispanic Center report, Mexicans make up 57 percent of immigrants present in the United States illegally. Another 24 percent are from other Latin American countries. Approximately 9 percent are from Asia, 6 percent from Europe and Canada, with the remaining 4 percent from the rest of the world [5].

Take the 57% who are Mexicans and add in the other 24% from other Latin American countries and what ethnic group is here by far in the largest numbers illegally in our country? 57 + 24 = 81%!
Asia plus European plus African = 2.2 million. Mexicans are 6.5 million. So a third the size of the Mexicans.

2.2 million is millions and is also way too high. And far harder to find then most Mexicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 05:12 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Asia plus European plus African = 2.2 million. Mexicans are 6.5 million. So a third the size of the Mexicans.

2.2 million is millions and is also way too high. And far harder to find then most Mexicans.
Less hassle to go after the illegal Hispanics since there are lots of 'em. While at it; catch a few OTMs as well.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:30 PM

2,470 posts, read 2,019,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
This is because Obama is not suing over the fact that Arizona wants to enforce, but rather because the law threatens the civil liberties of many legal citizens of Arizona.

My wife is a conservative, very mestiza looking Mexican-American woman. She will never go to Arizona as long as this law is on the books just out of principle. I used to get angry at those who don't get it, but I have realized that unless you look like her and are Mexican-American, it's pretty hard to understand why one would be so against this law. Or if you are married to someone that looks like her, of course.
Just for the record, I'm a resident of Arizona now for over 20 years...born and raised in New Jersey, went to college in San Francisco and I consider my self an independent and very much in the center politically.

What annoys the heck out of me is how the administration turned this law into a civil liberty issue to block it and stop any other states from taking the matter into their own hands as well. The fact is, the senate bill (SB 1070) that was passed and signed into law by the governor on April 23, was very much in line with what the federal law currently is but, opponents of it questioned some of the wording in it. Claims were being made that it would be a violation of the civil rights of legal citizens because it didn't specifically ban law enforcement from using profiling. My question to that is, how many laws do? Since when has it become necessary to include that in a bill that's being proposed. It's a separate issue that shouldn't be happening to enforce any law not just this law. The federal law doesn't specifically ban it and the federal law enforcement does it all the time and no ones making an issue out of that.

None of what I just pointed out really matters though because, the house then passed their bill (HB 2162) that amends the senate bill a week later and was signed into law by the governor on April 30. It clarifies the SB 1070 so much, that it actually does ban profiling and is more protective of the civil rights of legal citizens that the federal law is.

Quote:
Arizona HB 2162

On April 30, the Arizona legislature passed, and Governor Brewer signed, House Bill 2162, which modified the Act that had been signed a week earlier, with the amended text stating that "prosecutors would not investigate complaints based on race, color or national origin." The new text also states that police may only investigate immigration status incident to a "lawful stop, detention, or arrest", lowers the original fine from a minimum of $500 to a maximum of $100, and changes incarceration limits for first-time offenders from 6 months to 20 days.
Arizona SB 1070 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No one seems to even realize any of this has happened though. It never gets mentioned by opponents of it (including the administration) and rarely even by it's supporters....when it has been, it just seems to get ignored as though it never happened. All of which shows how much people just rely and trust the accuracy of the political arguing they hear going back and forth between the two extremes.

I followed all of this carefully back when it was passed....I've actually downloaded both bills and read them. The problem is that we've come to the point that we can't even rely on our media to present a story without misleading many of us by omitting certain details, either intentionally because of the journalist's or the media sources political agenda or simply by error and bad reporting....many times it just been copied from one media source to another. When you put a lie in writing, you can't deny it when someone catches it but, if you simply omit something you can't be accused of lying about something you never wrote (or said) in the first place. In fact when it comes to politics, even when a citizen points out an omission to an elected official, if they just ignore it and don't respond to it, it goes away...it only becomes an issue (and even then only sometimes) if they acknowledge it.

On another separate quick side note, out of the three states I've lived in, I heard and witnessed racism the most by far in New Jersey....next came San Francisco, both at college and at the part-time job I had. I actually worked for my brother who's lived there for about 35 years now and is very liberal...it didn't come from him but, instead from some of the other employees that worked for him (what can I say, you can't fire an otherwise excellent employee that knows how to do their job well just because you don't agree with their views on racism). In all honesty, since moving to Arizona, I can not recall being among a group of people of consisting of only my own race (white) and hearing some one make a racist comment or use a racial slur, they way I often did in San Francisco or New Jersey. People here are very transient and are not surrounded by family living nearby to associate with so, they have to learn to be friendly and sometimes rely on strangers for help (that in turn ending up becoming friends).

Old 02-20-2011, 05:47 PM

4,091 posts, read 3,270,648 times
When Obama states he will be deporting all illegals and it starts to happen on a large scale, then I might believe he is "getting it done." Until then, nope.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:27 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
When Obama states he will be deporting all illegals and it starts to happen on a large scale, then I might believe he is "getting it done." Until then, nope.
Yes, the key here is to for him to deport ALL illegals and that he isn't willing to do. I do however think that us anti's plan is better, voluntary deportations by removing all incentives to remain here. It is much cheaper to.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:19 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,276,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
What you ignore is Arizona's law mirrors current federal law. If your wife wont go to Arizona based on principle because this law upsets her she should just leave the country. Unless you dont belong here this law doesn't effect you at all. Even if it did cause some inconvenience, if you have our country's best interest at heart you would support it being enforced nationwide.
If the law mirrors current federal law, then why write it in the first place?

Old 02-20-2011, 07:25 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
If the law mirrors current federal law, then why write it in the first place?
Because the feds aren't enforcing their own law. The state law not only mirrors federal law but it entitles them to enforce it even at the local levels.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:27 AM

4,091 posts, read 3,270,648 times
Quote:
Because the feds aren't enforcing their own law. The state law not only mirrors federal law but it entitles them to enforce it even at the local levels.
Lord, I wish they would do that in Chicago and/or Illinois. I welcome legal natural born hard working people from all over the midwest to move to Chicago once these parasites are gone.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:01 PM

2,470 posts, read 2,019,424 times
Quote:
It also has a provision in it where it allows a citizen to file a complaint and sue the state, county or local authorities when the law is not being enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or