U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-21-2011, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,963,987 times
Reputation: 3083

Advertisements

Quote:
She could be deported at any time, but the Obama administration seems to have taken a hands-off approach to the hundreds of thousands of potential Dream Act students. In Ms. Castillo’s case, it is as if she’s coated with a protective shell.
Quote:
“I believe the more public you are, the safer you are,” she said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/ed..._r=1&src=twrhp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2011, 02:24 PM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,245,390 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
When she asked the governor if he would support the Dream Act, his tone was kind, but he wasn’t swayed. “What we can’t do as Americans is to turn a blind eye and not enforce the law,” he said, adding, “People who come here illegally need to be detained, prosecuted and deported.”

His comments received much louder applause than Ms. Castillo’s 4.0 G.P.A. had.
The article seems to be implying that this is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,388,658 times
Reputation: 2345
I really want to be sympathetic to Ms. Castillo. She's clearly educated, intelligent and hardworking. But reading the article makes it impossible. At no point does she seem to suggest that she or her parents ever did anything wrong by violating our laws. At no point does she ever thank Americans for educating her or letting her stay here for twenty years. Her mother has been living here since 1991 and STILL does not speak English. Castillo brazenly admits she's working off the books right now and not paying any taxes.

Ultimately she's an unrepentant criminal who should be fined, jailed and finally sent home. She can take her lazy, lawbreaking mommy with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,838 posts, read 30,118,328 times
Reputation: 17714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I really want to be sympathetic to Ms. Castillo. She's clearly educated, intelligent and hardworking. But reading the article makes it impossible. At no point does she seem to suggest that she or her parents ever did anything wrong by violating our laws. At no point does she ever thank Americans for educating her or letting her stay here for twenty years. Her mother has been living here since 1991 and STILL does not speak English. Castillo brazenly admits she's working off the books right now and not paying any taxes.

Ultimately she's an unrepentant criminal who should be fined, jailed and finally sent home. She can take her lazy, lawbreaking mommy with her.
I think that is the "entitlement" that sticks in everyone's craw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,239,562 times
Reputation: 410
Shaking here in anger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,225,089 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
What we can’t do as Americans is to turn a blind eye and not enforce the law,” he said, adding, “People who come here illegally need to be detained, prosecuted and deported.”

Quote:
His comments received much louder applause than Ms. Castillo’s 4.0 G.P.A. had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,225,089 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Her parents came here to the Shenandoah Valley to pick apples and stayed to work in a poultry plant.
Quote:
In 1991, she was smuggled across the border.
The family lived in a trailer park, and Ms. Castillo’s first job as a girl was helping her parents sell tacos out of their home.
\
Quote:
In 1991, she was smuggled across the border.
So her parents smuggled her across the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 10:02 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
294 posts, read 586,185 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I think that is the "entitlement" that sticks in everyone's craw.

Entitlement is an understatement. How about free Estiercol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,225,089 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
Entitlement is an understatement. How about free Estiercol!
Thet have no appreciation for the freebies because they feel that they're entitled to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top