U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Reputation: 957

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There never was a plan to build a 2,200 foot wall along our southern border. It just needs to built along the most porous parts of the border to assist the BP and to deter illegal immigration so they have to try and cross at more difficult areas. Those areas are where we need the bulk of our BP placed.
Quote:
The bill, co-sponsored by Congressman Duncan Hunter, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, and Congressman Virgil Goode, proposes to create a two-layer reinforced fence with lighting and sensors from the Pacific Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico, a 100-yard (meter) border zone to the north of the barriers and 25 new ports of entry.

The cost of the project is estimated at 8 billion US dollars.
You mean, there was never a plan accepted. Of course not...anyone with half-a-brain can figure out that acutal completion and cost are un-doable.

But the proposals keep comming in...

Quote:
Republican Senatorial candidate Rand Paul wants to build a fence along the U.S.-Mexico border. It's a rather ho-hum proposition in the larger context of conservative ideas -- except that Paul wants that fence to be electric and he wants it built underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2011, 03:57 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
You mean, there was never a plan accepted. Of course not...anyone with half-a-brain can figure out that acutal completion and cost are un-doable.

But the proposals keep comming in...
You're wrong! There never was a plan submitted for a 2,200 mile wall on our southern border. The request was for about a 700 miles wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 04:09 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
A wall is a terrible idea for America. The country is not unified, so as soon as the wall is built 100 politicians would be trying to give their own "tear down this wall" speech.

The simple way to resolve it is to deny all rights. Take away the ability to work, attend school, go to a hospital or talk to police/fire department and you will find they leave. If cops check for legality 100% of the time they stop a person or a person files a police report and has them deported immediately after finding an illegal the problem is solved quickly.

Cheap, simple and effective.
Well, we've tried to do all of those and those same politicians are pushing back as hard as they can to secure more votes. Much of the wall is very effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 16,932,393 times
Reputation: 10273
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Israel build a huge wall and how many homicide bombers have we heard off?

Hardly any since the wall was build so why not build one here and put barb wire on top of it....see how many illegals will come in...

Than start to solve the illegal issue over here and we won't get as many coming in again.
Appears great on paper but assuming $100 per linear foot and a border about 1900 miles long you're looking at a wall costing about $1 billion. And I think $100 per linear foot is optimistic.

A superior, and more cost effective, set of solutions is to simply heavily penalize employers who employ illegal immigrants and remove all government incentives, e.g. benefits, available to illegal immigrants.

[frankly, we need to make the work and living environments here so hostile that illegal immigrants won't want to live here]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 07:58 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Appears great on paper but assuming $100 per linear foot and a border about 1900 miles long you're looking at a wall costing about $1 billion. And I think $100 per linear foot is optimistic.

A superior, and more cost effective, set of solutions is to simply heavily penalize employers who employ illegal immigrants and remove all government incentives, e.g. benefits, available to illegal immigrants.

[frankly, we need to make the work and living environments here so hostile that illegal immigrants won't want to live here]
Terrorists aren't looking for work or benefits though and neither are criminals. That is why we need a physical barrier and enforcement at the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 16,932,393 times
Reputation: 10273
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Terrorists aren't looking for work or benefits though and neither are criminals. That is why we need a physical barrier and enforcement at the border.
You're right.

[but I was thinking along the lines of the typical illegal immigrant]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 02:41 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You're wrong! There never was a plan submitted for a 2,200 mile wall on our southern border. The request was for about a 700 miles wall.
plan summitted...

we went from never proposed, to no plan...to no plan submitted. OK

what we can agree on is that its not going to happen in near future.

Impractical, close to impossible, and way to expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
plan summitted...

we went from never proposed, to no plan...to no plan submitted. OK

what we can agree on is that its not going to happen in near future.

Impractical, close to impossible, and way to expensive.
So what is your point? I don't even advocate for a 2,200 mile wall along our southern border only in places where the border is the most porous so it will assist the Border Patrol and that illegal aliens and other undesirables are forced to try and enter through much more difficult areas.

Debate: 700 mile US Mexico border fence - Debatepedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 05:41 PM
 
18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
Reputation: 25990
There are already fences, with holes cut in them...walls, would just have holes blown out. There is just too much country out there to make that feasible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 06:09 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There are already fences, with holes cut in them...walls, would just have holes blown out. There is just too much country out there to make that feasible...
Disagree. The double layed fence would be hard to penetrate and hard to get over. As the article stated that I posted the double wall was only supposed to be for 700 miles of border and would push illegal aliens to enter at more difficult places and the wall would help the BP immensely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top