Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times

Advertisements

[quote=elamigo;18169733][quote=twiggy;18115201]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I have been trying to tell him that. I just did in my last reply to him. To him is you are either with me or against me. For some reason he just cannot see that if this issue is not at the top of your list as it is on yours then you disagree and are against him. Also, for some reason he may not be able to see that distinction.

I am against illegal immigration but to me other issues are more important. I think I just got him as against me. He will probably now say I am taunting and all kinds of things, take care.
First I am a she, not a he. Second, illegal immigration is among my top five concerns. I never said it was number one. I know not everyone is going to feel exactly as I do but since it really is a serious problem with some very compelling evidence out there and not to mention that is a violation of our immigration laws I would think it would at least register on one's radar somewhere and not openly laugh (not referring to you) at those of us that do take this issue very seriously. Peace.

Last edited by chicagonut; 03-07-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 12:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's not rednecks shooting guns into the air at midnight on Jan 1, or on Sept 15 and 16, and Dec 12.

That's when I hear guns all over going off - hopefully just being shot into the air - but you never know.
Midnight, between New Year's Day and New Year's Eve. Around here, that's the rednecks.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Simply because YOU have not encountered these problems does not negate his personal experiences. I have never been the victim of a DUI, and personally don’t know anyone who has (thank God). Does that mean it doesn’t exist?

As for Home Depot stores, they are notorious locations for so-called day laborers. As a matter of fact, I stopped shopping at Home Depot for that very reason. As a woman, it doesn’t make me feel all warm and fuzzy seeing 50 men loitering in the parking lot, or having two or three at a time approach soliciting work, or following me to my car after I decline their offer.
I'm not saying that it does negate his experiences. His experiences are what they are. He asked if any of us have experienced those things, and I never have.

Our day laborers go to the labor agencies. They are primarily taken up by the homeless, who always seem to be able to spend their bounty on beer. They are NOT standing out in front of Home Depot when I get out of work. So I've never seen this.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
First I am a she, not a he. Second, illegal immigration is among my top five concerns. I never said it was number one. I know not everyone is going to feel exactly as I do but since it really is a serious problem with some very compelling evidence out there and not to mention that is a violation of our immigration laws I would think it would at least register on one's radar somewhere and not openly laugh (not referring to you) at those of us that do take this issue very seriously. Peace.
I see your back from your visit at The White House..

Old 03-07-2011, 01:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
[quote=chicagonut;18172288][quote=elamigo;18169733]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post

No ill intent on the gender. That is the problem with me. I generally do not check who wrote a message. I just reply to the message. Second, even if I check chicagonut does not give an indication of gender. By the way, I was born in Chicago but left when I was about 6. I have great memories from those times.

As far as how you rank immigration on the list I was talking in general terms. Even if I made the mistake by saying you rank it higher, the point I was making remains the same in what I was talking about, take care.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 PM

146 posts, read 225,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
so, in a nutshell i feel i can name 6 or 7 other national problems i'd list ahead of illegal immigration, pushing the illegals issue to the bottom of my "top 10", if it's even in the top 10 at all.

for those who think illegals are a "top 3" national issue, hmmmm, i just don't see it. me not living in a border state has something to do with it i guess but yeesh.

if you think it's the #1 issue, then i really look forward to what you have to say.

it'd take a ton of convincing for me to consider it "top 5"
Illegal immigration would not be anywhere near my top 10, let alone top 5, list of political issues. Top 25, perhaps. But my solutions to the issue don't have anything to do with punishing folks who come here to make a better life for themselves and their families.

To each his own.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:23 PM

174 posts, read 239,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
Illegal immigration would not be anywhere near my top 10, let alone top 5, list of political issues. Top 25, perhaps. But my solutions to the issue don't have anything to do with punishing folks who come here to make a better life for themselves and their families.

To each his own.
Unfortunately Illegal immigration is in the 10s of millions now, and from all over the world, not just south of the border. Depending on who (what group) we are talking about and their skill in working our system it will continue to destroy our way of life. We are closer to looking like a 3rd world country every year with the huge quantity of people sneaking in.

We should punish those who violate our laws just as the rest of the world does.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post

To each his own.
I share your sentiment. It is important to enforce our immigration laws. Immigration can affect our economy and in other areas.

However, I do not forget that many of them are people that simply want to have a better life. Many of them are desperate. Our ancestors moved here for the same reason and other reasons too.

Some people seem to reflect some ulterior motive when they call them criminals as if they came here to kill and rob. Granted, there are the criminal elements the group as in any group I must make that clear.

Some may claim that our ancestors came here legally. It is true many of them did. However, others may not have much hope on the legal route and they desperate and do whatever they can to survive. I am not saying just let them come in. We have to look for our national interests first.

Others talk about securing our borders. How? Build a great wall all around us with guard at every ten feet? At what cost if that is the decision? They talk as if it a matter of snapping the fingers and look 'it's done!'.

Also, some demand as if to forget other national issues. Ask, someone else that thinks education is the most important, or that national defense is, or that child or spousal abuse is, etc. They all want the governemnt to spend money on their causes. There is only enough money in the pot, take care.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
Unfortunately Illegal immigration is in the 10s of millions now, and from all over the world, not just south of the border. Depending on who (what group) we are talking about and their skill in working our system it will continue to destroy our way of life. We are closer to looking like a 3rd world country every year with the huge quantity of people sneaking in.

We should punish those who violate our laws just as the rest of the world does.
I completely agree. How could 20-30 million people NOT shape a Country in some way to the negative.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I share your sentiment. It is important to enforce our immigration laws. Immigration can affect our economy and in other areas.

However, I do not forget that many of them are people that simply want to have a better life. Many of them are desperate. Our ancestors moved here for the same reason and other reasons too.

Some people seem to reflect some ulterior motive when they call them criminals as if they came here to kill and rob. Granted, there are the criminal elements the group as in any group I must make that clear.

Some may claim that our ancestors came here legally. It is true many of them did. However, others may not have much hope on the legal route and they desperate and do whatever they can to survive. I am not saying just let them come in. We have to look for our national interests first.

Others talk about securing our borders. How? Build a great wall all around us with guard at every ten feet? At what cost if that is the decision? They talk as if it a matter of snapping the fingers and look 'it's done!'.

Also, some demand as if to forget other national issues. Ask, someone else that thinks education is the most important, or that national defense is, or that child or spousal abuse is, etc. They all want the governemnt to spend money on their causes. There is only enough money in the pot, take care.
You said it. . . there is only enough money in the pot.

I believe most of us feel compassion for the less fortunate. However, we can’t afford to be the dumping ground for the world’s impoverished masses; particularly, to our own detriment. It’s time for THEIR governments to accept responsibility. I don’t think there are many people who would be willing to let their own children starve to feed their neighbor’s kids. That would not be altruism. That would be neglect and stupidity.

We are more than capable of securing our borders. It simply isn’t a priority, and won’t be, until chemical weapons breach our so-called security, and take the lives of millions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration