Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:30 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Most Americans however, do not claim that they know an illegal by judging someone just by their ethnicity. But do continue to dwell on a small minority of Americans who may do that to use the race card to smear us all.
That's because they are the ones usually most outspoken when it comes to this issue.

Anything that targets and dehumanizes people of a different race or ethnicity is definitely not on my agenda.

It's just not my fight, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
That's because they are the ones usually most outspoken when it comes to this issue.

Anything that targets and dehumanizes people of a different race or ethnicity is definitely not on my agenda.

That's just not true. There are millions of us against illegal immigration who are very outspoken on this issue that are not racist nor do we claim to know an illegal just by looking at them.

You are bringing race into this issue with your second sentence. Why? This has nothing to do with race but status in this country. What race/ethnic group is being dehumanized?

It isn't your fight because obviously you are a sympathizer to illegal aliens and are using the race to get at those of us who are not either because you are an employer who likes the cheap labor, a bleeding heart liberal or an ethnocentric because of ethnic ties. Which is it?

Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:

We all pick our battles. However, how do you equate opposition to illegal immigration with dehumanizing illegal aliens? I oppose ALL criminal and parasitic behavior, regardless of race or ethnicity. Do you also consider the condemnation of crooks and thieves dehumanization? Or, do you justify behavior if it involves a particular ethnic/racial group?

If any group is being dehumanized, not to mention, vilified and demonized, it’s the opponents of illegal immigration. I suppose it is easier to bash anti-illegals, than it is to acknowledge one’s support for scofflaws.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We all pick our battles. However, how do you equate opposition to illegal immigration with dehumanizing illegal aliens? I oppose ALL criminal and parasitic behavior, regardless of race or ethnicity. Do you also consider the condemnation of crooks and thieves dehumanization? Or, do you justify behavior if it involves a particular ethnic/racial group?

If any group is being dehumanized, not to mention, vilified and demonized, it’s the opponents of illegal immigration. I suppose it is easier to bash anti-illegals, than it is to acknowledge one’s support for scofflaws.
I find it dehumanizing to be called a racist, bigot, xenophobe, etc. just because I oppose illegal immigration but I guess my feelings don't count. The pro-illegals are more concerned about immigration law breaker's feelings rather than their fellow Americans.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I find it dehumanizing to be called a racist, bigot, xenophobe, etc. just because I oppose illegal immigration but I guess my feelings don't count. The pro-illegals are more concerned about immigration law breaker's feelings rather than their fellow Americans.
We don’t have feelings. After all, we aren’t human.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
That's just not true. There are millions of us against illegal immigration who are very outspoken on this issue that are not racist nor do we claim to know an illegal just by looking at them.
I agree. And my opinion actually has nothing to do with people, like you, who do stand up for causes you believe in for the right reasons.

My comment was not directed at you, I was actually addressing it towards that
"small minority of Americans who may do that to use the race card to smear us all" comment you made earlier.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:

If any group is being dehumanized, not to mention, vilified and demonized, it’s the opponents of illegal immigration.I suppose it is easier to bash anti-illegals, than it is to acknowledge one’s support for scofflaws.

Dehumanized?

Vilified?

DEMONIZED?!

Nah, most of them just tend to come off as self-righteous a$$holes, that's all.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Dehumanized?

Vilified?

DEMONIZED?!

Nah, most of them just tend to come off as self-righteous a$$holes, that's all.
And, how do pro-illegals come off? How does one defend the indefensible? Is your ONLY defense the character assassination of opponents?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Is your ONLY defense the character assassination of opponents?

How was that a defense?

It was an observation.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
How was that a defense?

It was an observation.

Of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration