U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 11:58 AM

3,884 posts, read 8,775,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No offense, but given your self-professed apathy regarding the issue of illegal immigration, I can’t take you or your posts seriously. If you truly “don’t care” about illegal immigration, why are you posting on this forum, or even concerned about what opponents of illegal immigration think? Perhaps you will expound on that for clarification. But, I do believe thou doth protest too much, not to have a dog in this fight. At least be honest.

Meanwhile, as long as we are a sovereign nation, we will have laws governing who, where, when, and how foreigners may lawfully gain entrance to our country. Like it or not, that will NOT change.

Since you “don’t care” about this issue, I imagine you “won’t care” if we actually begin to enforce our laws. Moreover, unless you possess supernatural powers to foretell future events, your “they will eventually become legal” argument is merely supposition, wishful thinking, or both.

BTW, where the heck have you been? We have had “legal” workers crossing our borders for years, and in all likelihood will continue in the future. I am waiting with bated breath for your other equally shocking revelations.
You are absolutely right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,464,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I sit in AZ watching all the people buy up the cheap houses they produce, munching down the produce they pick while at the same time, with a full mouth spew hatred for them here. They don't even have the intelligence to see that they are part of whats keeping them here and why the big companies will win this fight again and again. It gets tiring to watch.

No one disagrees that there are problems with them here, but none of you can see that these are not problems for big business, just for the small people of America. Capitalism just doesn't work that way. We are too large for Capitalism to not rear it's ugly bad side, this is one of those "bads" that come with the good.
Nothing about my 12 reason post should read to you or anyone that I have malice towards them for being poor, for being any ethnicity, or some tacky native born supremacy attitude poking a flag at them. My reasons were all about what's best for all parties concerned and I wish xenophobic BS would just be summarily dismissed on both sides because this core issue is being overlooked defending all the wrong things. No one is legitimately angry at an ethnicity, only specific behaviors offensive to American law/corrosive to community, and particularly native citizens obliged to play by the rules while law breakers walk with impunity. This is an ADMINISTRATIVE failure, not the fault of the masses.

What's best is we have secure borders and reform immigration so that it encourages honest behavior & screens out violent criminals. What's best is they know coming in they're expected to be responsible for themselves and acquaint themselves with US law so as to not find themselves f/t targets of law enforcement. Ignorance of the law isn't excusable in the eyes of the law applicable to all (even if I hate it). It's best they learn english before they come here because they will be 'alienated' from this nation and opportunities will be meager until they do. What's best is our own labor force needs as a nation being considered first, not dictated by Central American policies, and not by corporate lobbyists using them as a wedge inflicted against US workers instigating strife. It's these nasty games they play that turn free market rules into crony capitalism. It only makes those on the bottom lose faith in the credibility of commerce and I'm obliged to agree with them.

Florida half a century ago had no love of Cuba emptying out it's prisons and dumping them here out of spite. I hate no Cuban, but violent people should not be welcome here because it only drains goodwill relations for all. When legit Cuban exiles have a problem with criminals pouring into their community, xenophobic defense of crime only create more xenophobia if you're making yourself deaf to problems.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:34 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,053,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Nothing about my 12 reason post should read to you or anyone that I have malice towards them for being poor, for being any ethnicity, or some tacky native born supremacy attitude poking a flag at them. My reasons were all about what's best for all parties concerned and I wish xenophobic BS would just be summarily dismissed on both sides because this core issue is being overlooked defending all the wrong things. No one is legitimately angry at an ethnicity, only specific behaviors offensive to American law/corrosive to community, and particularly native citizens obliged to play by the rules while law breakers walk with impunity. This is an ADMINISTRATIVE failure, not the fault of the masses.

What's best is we have secure borders and reform immigration so that it encourages honest behavior & screens out violent criminals. What's best is they know coming in they're expected to be responsible for themselves and acquaint themselves with US law so as to not find themselves f/t targets of law enforcement. Ignorance of the law isn't excusable in the eyes of the law applicable to all (even if I hate it). It's best they learn english before they come here because they will be 'alienated' from this nation and opportunities will be meager until they do. What's best is our own labor force needs as a nation being considered first, not dictated by Central American policies, and not by corporate lobbyists using them as a wedge inflicted against US workers instigating strife. It's these nasty games they play that turn free market rules into crony capitalism. It only makes those on the bottom lose faith in the credibility of commerce and I'm obliged to agree with them.

Florida half a century ago had no love of Cuba emptying out it's prisons and dumping them here out of spite. I hate no Cuban, but violent people should not be welcome here because it only drains goodwill relations for all. When legit Cuban exiles have a problem with criminals pouring into their community, xenophobic defense of crime only create more xenophobia if you're making yourself deaf to problems.
See, you're actually bringing some information and civility to the thread. This is I can respect.

Some others here do not bring anything to the discussion, but instead only take offense and give criticism.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
The Word - No Problemo - The Colbert Report - 4/21/10 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

"Harassing Latinos with racial profiling isn't an inevitable side effect of Arizona's anti-immigration law -- it's the entire point."
No it isn't. It is about finding illegal aliens, Latino or otherwise. How is a legal Latino being harrassed by being stopped by LE just like anyone else duriing a traffic stop for example? There are no special rules about them. They are asked for valid I.D. just like any other citizen or legal immigrant and then sent on their way after providing it. Get off the victim mentality band wagon.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No it isn't. It is about finding illegal aliens, Latino or otherwise. How is a legal Latino being harrassed by being stopped by LE just like anyone else duriing a traffic stop for example? There are no special rules about them. They are asked for valid I.D. just like any other citizen or legal immigrant and then sent on their way after providing it. Get off the victim mentality band wagon.
Did you even watch the video?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:49 PM

[quote=twiggy;18116868]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post

Unfortunately it ran both off, they were scared of racial profiling (we are all loaded with weapons over here in the west) and as a result, no burritos.
:c rying:

Yes, now I'm being silly i.e.
Wow, so there are no more Hispanics left in Arizona? Every Mexican restaurant closed? Even the legal ones left when they aren't the target anyway? Why would a legal be scared of racial profiling when it is prohibited in sb1070 and they would have nothing to hide anyway?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
See, you're actually bringing some information and civility to the thread. This is I can respect.

Some others here do not bring anything to the discussion, but instead only take offense and give criticism.
Pot meet kettle.

I guess you missed my post where I pointed out similar reasons why illegal immigration is bad for our country. It was quite civil and very informational. Biased, much? I just don't put up with BS artists in here. One should state their opinion for or against and why, and not resort to making a joke out of this issue or making false claims they don't have a dog in this race and resort to personal attacks. When caught at it they always claim "oh you were the rude one".

Last edited by chicagonut; 03-03-2011 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Did you even watch the video?
You mean the opinion of the far left wingnut, Colbert? Comedy Central? You can't be serious. He holds up a poster with the word "immigrant" on it and immigrant isn't even the subject but illegal aliens.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:11 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,464,425 times
Ohh one other thing. Those claiming or believing this isn't importing slavery to America--- if the only way a business can profit is by perpetually keeping their boot on the head of labor with no relation to local economy than it's not a viable business. Walmart profits are nothing more than draining economic clout of US and delivering it to the shores of China for not much more than a hoarders house full of chachki's. Way to kill local economies, worker pride, and ethics in all one fell swoop.

No, ladies and gentlemen, this is not capitalism. Illegals are used as fodder and I hate they'd be abused or taken advantage of but at the heart of the matter is the fact that presenting yourself to this nation as a needy disenfranchised group harms the spirit of America. It feeds crony capitalism. It rewards those lacking ethics the most and those disenfranchised the least. That's why I want them coming through the front door. Come here with desire to shine. Let us shine together as a just nation enabling individuals to be responsible for their own lives. Not a perpetual soup kitchen existence because that mentality is not sustainable.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You mean the opinion of the far left wingnut, Colbert? Comedy Central? You can't be serious. He holds up a poster with the word "immigrant" on it and immigrant isn't even the subject but illegal aliens.
You specifically told me to "stick the race card back in my wallet".

I submit a video that basically states why I (and others) feel race is relevent to the discussion and you don't even take a few minutes to acknowledge it.

Whether I agree with you or not, I still read the links you posted.

But I see how it is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or