U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM
 
13,501 posts, read 14,036,073 times
Reputation: 11132

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is always a non-issue to pro-illegal apologists.

this is what I mean about labeling someone a pro illegal and now the added word apologist. the Op never said he supported illegals only that it isn't in his top ten of issues. how do you get pro illegal from that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2011, 03:27 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
this is what I mean about labeling someone a pro illegal and now the added word apologist. the Op never said he supported illegals only that it isn't in his top ten of issues. how do you get pro illegal from that?
Some things are a given even though not spoken. If illegal immigration is being called a non-issue by some it is merely hiding behind one's true advocacy for it. We've seen it far too many times in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 PM
 
13,501 posts, read 14,036,073 times
Reputation: 11132
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Some things are a given even though not spoken. If illegal immigration is being called a non-issue by some it is merely hiding behind one's true advocacy for it. We've seen it far too many times in here.

you are assuming a negative, believing something that was never said, just assuming? this would mean you can assume all kinds of things that can be completely off base. the issue is not on the op's top ten, doesn't not mean in any way shape or form that he is a "pro" illegals it only means it isn't in the top ten things that worry him, he asked to be shown otherwise. that should show an openness to discuss the issues not that the person is "pro" assuming facts not in evidence does nothing to further an exchange of ideas or information, only shows a closed bias which will get the discussion nowhere. seems counter productive to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you are assuming a negative, believing something that was never said, just assuming? this would mean you can assume all kinds of things that can be completely off base. the issue is not on the op's top ten, doesn't not mean in any way shape or form that he is a "pro" illegals it only means it isn't in the top ten things that worry him, he asked to be shown otherwise. that should show an openness to discuss the issues not that the person is "pro" assuming facts not in evidence does nothing to further an exchange of ideas or information, only shows a closed bias which will get the discussion nowhere. seems counter productive to me.
An assumption based on past experience in here. They always come in here asking what seems like innocent questions and after awhile they reveal themselves. If you don't like my replies then don't read them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM
 
13,501 posts, read 14,036,073 times
Reputation: 11132
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
An assumption based on past experience in here. They always come in here asking what seems like innocent questions and after awhile they reveal themselves. If you don't like my replies then don't read them.
it isn't a question if I like your replies or not. this is supposed to be a forum where you exchange ideas and opinions with each other. hard to exchange ideas if you label everyone that questions something. that they are something they may not be, based on what you "assume" to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,978,575 times
Reputation: 3084
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
so, in a nutshell i feel i can name 6 or 7 other national problems i'd list ahead of illegal immigration, pushing the illegals issue to the bottom of my "top 10", if it's even in the top 10 at all.

for those who think illegals are a "top 3" national issue, hmmmm, i just don't see it. me not living in a border state has something to do with it i guess but yeesh.

if you think it's the #1 issue, then i really look forward to what you have to say.

it'd take a ton of convincing for me to consider it "top 5"

I'd say the issue hasn't impacted you in any way yet and figure why waste my breath when you'll no doubt decide it has greater priority if it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,897,540 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
so, in a nutshell i feel i can name 6 or 7 other national problems i'd list ahead of illegal immigration, pushing the illegals issue to the bottom of my "top 10", if it's even in the top 10 at all.

for those who think illegals are a "top 3" national issue, hmmmm, i just don't see it. me not living in a border state has something to do with it i guess but yeesh.

if you think it's the #1 issue, then i really look forward to what you have to say.

it'd take a ton of convincing for me to consider it "top 5"
A few drops of rain don't seem very important to me where I live - but in New Orleans where there was an overwhelming amount of rain, it mattered a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Chicago
4,091 posts, read 3,285,721 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
for those who think illegals are a "top 3" national issue, hmmmm, i just don't see it. me not living in a border state has something to do with it i guess but yeesh.
Perhaps you need your eyes checked.

I live in Illinois and I can see what it is doing to the country. Do you like in Alaska or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 17,000,451 times
Reputation: 10278
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
so, in a nutshell i feel i can name 6 or 7 other national problems i'd list ahead of illegal immigration, pushing the illegals issue to the bottom of my "top 10", if it's even in the top 10 at all.

for those who think illegals are a "top 3" national issue, hmmmm, i just don't see it. me not living in a border state has something to do with it i guess but yeesh.

if you think it's the #1 issue, then i really look forward to what you have to say.

it'd take a ton of convincing for me to consider it "top 5"
Whether it is a "Top 10" issue is irrelevant. The lists of what's most important varies from person to person depending on their circumstances.

Illegal immigration is not directly comparable to a terrorist attack which is like knife wound to your body or unemployment which is like losing your wallet. Those are problems that manifest themselves quickly and the repercussions are generally felt immediately. When they happen you snap to attention because they are happening now.

Illegal immigration on the other hand is like a disease that slowly over decades makes you less productive, less focused, less of who you are. It is like getting old - it happens over time and you don't actually realize you're getting old until you look back on yourself 20 years and then, whoa! The change in your identity and your character, the presence of something that should not be here, the sapping of resources, etc.

One of these days there will be a reckoning - a diagnosis of your health, so to speak. And you're not going to like it. The sad thing will be that unlike old age it will not be the result of a 'natural' occurrence. It will be the result of neglect.

Going back to the "Top 10" list, if you prefer. Just because it is not in the top 10 things that will kill you does not mean it will not kill you.

[my 2 cents...there it is]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 12:58 AM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,344,190 times
Reputation: 6451
This is a problem we face, when Americans are not all on the same page with illegal immigration. Everyone has a right to her or his own opinion, however this is one issue i truly feel we all need to be on the same page on. It affects all of us in one way or another, even if you do not live in a borer State. My realitives who live in the E.C. say illegals are coming, and they don't like it and they don't want them there.

Just because you have not see the likes of illegals in your state yet, they could be acoming. They are a burden to this Country, in every way, and what part of being here illegally, having ancor babies, taking advantage of our system, the crime that some bring, employers hiring illegals,the cost to us is not worth it.

But i do respect the feelings of others, and it is each and everyone of us who makes our own decisions.

I say you can think any way you want after all this is AMERICA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top