U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
The rich few in Mexico should develop their own country. The American taxpayer is not responsible for the development of Mexico. It's really that simple. Our foreign policies should be aimed at helping Americans and developing our economy. We should not strive to provide for the needs of Mexico's underclass.
I totally agree with you. We have enough poverty and joblessness with our own citizens to handle. I have noticed of late what bad shape our roads are out here in Calif. Where are our taxes to fix them? Our state is bankrupt and yet we spend billions supporting illegal aliens? I know many Californians whose unemployent benefits have run out and yet they can't even get a job that they are overqualified for. They are losing their homes and can't feed their own families. It is difficult to feel compassion for foreign invaders that have contributed to this financial mess we are in.

Our federal government is trillions in debt so it is time to withdraw contributions to foreign countries that don't seen to be helping themselves anyway and help our own instead. Mexico comes to mind as one of those that just seems to like the status quo of sending us their poor own while they do nothing to help them themselves except rake in the remittances that they send back to them which is just taken out of our own dying economy. We pick up the tab for their education, healthcare, etc. while they take American jobs. When is our government going to wake up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
Factbox: Interesting numbers from the Forbes rich list | Reuters
Quote:
Mexican tycoon Carlos Slim is the richest person in the world for the second year in a row, Forbes said on Wednesday.
It's time to investigate where this guy is getting all his money. Gotta be something shady mixed up in there - cartels maybe?

Quote:
The Mexican magnate's growing fortune has caused a controversy because it has been amassed in a developing country where per capita income does not surpass $14,500 a year, and nearly 17% of the population lives in poverty.
(That's the 17% running the border)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim

Old 03-09-2011, 03:41 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,944,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I totally agree with you. We have enough poverty and joblessness with our own citizens to handle. I have noticed of late what bad shape our roads are out here in Calif. Where are our taxes to fix them? Our state is bankrupt and yet we spend billions supporting illegal aliens? I know many Californians whose unemployent benefits have run out and yet they can't even get a job that they are overqualified for. They are losing their homes and can't feed their own families. It is difficult to feel compassion for foreign invaders that have contributed to this financial mess we are in.

Our federal government is trillions in debt so it is time to withdraw contributions to foreign countries that don't seen to be helping themselves anyway and help our own instead. Mexico comes to mind as one of those that just seems to like the status quo of sending us their poor own while they do nothing to help them themselves except rake in the remittances that they send back to them which is just taken out of our own dying economy. We pick up the tab for their education, healthcare, etc. while they take American jobs. When is our government going to wake up?
And this is the whole crux of the matter.........

Old 03-09-2011, 04:46 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,237,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
40% of mexico lives on $2 or less a day. 20% of mexico lives on less than a dollar a day.
That aint our problme. The USA has plenty of poor people too.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
We are looking at this from different perspectives. You view it as charity. I view it as acting in our own best interest, investing in our own future. Did we rebuild Europe after WWII out of a sense of charity? Of course not! We did so because our economies are inter-dependent and for worldwide security.
The majic word is WW 2. Germany, France etc were torn up bad. Mexico has NOT had any war in bout 100 years.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:40 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,725,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
That aint our problme. The USA has plenty of poor people too.
You said mexico wasn't poor. I was just responding to that.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
You said mexico wasn't poor. I was just responding to that.
SOME Mexicans are poor. Not all. Aint our problme.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,064,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
so, in a nutshell i feel i can name 6 or 7 other national problems i'd list ahead of illegal immigration, pushing the illegals issue to the bottom of my "top 10", if it's even in the top 10 at all.

for those who think illegals are a "top 3" national issue, hmmmm, i just don't see it. me not living in a border state has something to do with it i guess but yeesh.

if you think it's the #1 issue, then i really look forward to what you have to say.

it'd take a ton of convincing for me to consider it "top 5"
With an actual unemployment rate at 15% the 8 million jobs they hold puts them in the top five.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 AM

42 posts, read 33,247 times
I might try to explain to you how illegals hurt this country, and our people, in countless aspects, but some people cannot be educated. Plus, as someone else said, this is America and you certainly have a right to your own opinion.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
40% of mexico lives on $2 or less a day. 20% of mexico lives on less than a dollar a day.
Those in Mexico who never finish school, start having babies at age 13-14-15 of course are poor.

And do you really believe these poor people can support their very large families - often kids they abandoned when they came here and the kids born here all on their own?

That's the whole problem, they can't afford the low cost of living in Mexico because they have no education or job skills, the only way they can live the good life here with the high cost of living is on the many generous welfare handouts.

Mexico is a wealthy nation and in reality it has a growing middle class. However - to live a middle class lifestyle in Mexico, one must finish school, delay the start of a family until the education is completed and a job is found, and marriage helps, and limit family size to what can be afforded. (Same thing one must do here in the USA to be middle class)

By coming to the USA, these people will be given free housing, free health care, especially for those babies they will crank out, food stamps, WIC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or