Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:31 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
But, that won’t solve their problems.
but it will help, A LOT. mexicans will need to solve their own problems. but we can help be the starter engine that gets the main engine turning
Quote:
We have been pouring money into Mexico for years, to no avail.
only for the drug war. development money in mexico is better defined as a trickle
Quote:
They have a tradition of corruption, so it’s a cultural norm, and quite pervasive. Consequently, money is not being used for its intended purpose.
corruption is a huge issue (particularly among the police largely related to the drug trade), to the same degree that it is in many third-world countries receiving aid. fortunately, both the us and its allies have lots of experience successfully improving the infrastructure even in countries with high corruption.
Quote:
It will require the citizens of Mexico to revolt, similar to the Egyptians. Unfortunately, as long as they can flee to the U.S. and receive the red carpet treatment, I doubt that will ever happen.
red herring

the potential upside of an improved mexico is huge, particularly given the trade relationship. imagine if the money poured into iraq went into strengthening north america. we'd be looking at serious progress, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Mexico aint poor.
40% of mexico lives on $2 or less a day. 20% of mexico lives on less than a dollar a day.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:53 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
but it will help, A LOT. mexicans will need to solve their own problems. but we can help be the starter engine that gets the main engine turning
only for the drug war. development money in mexico is better defined as a tricklecorruption is a huge issue (particularly among the police largely related to the drug trade), to the same degree that it is in many third-world countries receiving aid. fortunately, both the us and its allies have lots of experience successfully improving the infrastructure even in countries with high corruption.
red herring

the potential upside of an improved mexico is huge, particularly given the trade relationship. imagine if the money poured into iraq went into strengthening north america. we'd be looking at serious progress, in my opinion.
Our “nation-building” techniques haven’t exactly proved successful. Again, Mexico is not a poor nation. It’s time they stopped relying on the U.S. and take care of their own problems. Furthermore, we are not rolling in dough. Shall we borrow more money from China to aid Mexico? We’re already in enough debt, and we have been more than generous to Mexico.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:57 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Quote:
And this is precisely why, IMO, it is in the US's best interest to DRAMATICALLY increase the amount of aid flowing to Mexico. Rather than fighting the stupid drug war, we should help them to build highways and modern infrastructure. It is bad for everyone when you have the best economy in the world next to a borderline third world country.
Mexico is home to eleven billionaires including Carlos Slim who is said to be the world's richest man. Why can't THEY support their countrymen instead of the American taxpayer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Mexico aint poor. Haiti IS poor.

Let the rich Mexicans help there OWN raza. A big part of the money going there is remitiances from illegals here.

Mexico needs to help itself.
Exactly. Mexico has no right to ask for money from Americans. Mexico has the world's 11th largest economy. Restructure that economy to benefit ordinary Mexicans instead of a tiny oligarchy. Instead many Mexicans prefer to come here without permission and take money out of our economy. That has to stop.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
so, in a nutshell i feel i can name 6 or 7 other national problems i'd list ahead of illegal immigration, pushing the illegals issue to the bottom of my "top 10", if it's even in the top 10 at all.

for those who think illegals are a "top 3" national issue, hmmmm, i just don't see it. me not living in a border state has something to do with it i guess but yeesh.

if you think it's the #1 issue, then i really look forward to what you have to say.

it'd take a ton of convincing for me to consider it "top 5"
If you say "illegals aren't that big of a deal":

You don't work in...

construction
food service or production
agriculture
law enforcement
manufacturing
landscaping
social services
teach in public schools in any southwestern state or major city in the USA
healthcare

You haven't ventured out of the house to see:

Texas
Arizona
New Mexico
New Orleans
Massachusetts
California
drive or ride the bus in Los Angeles
Home Depot or any other lumberyard/hardware store/home improvement store
McDonalds or other fast food restaurant

You ignore current affairs/news:

Chandra Levy murder - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021103591.html
Jamiel Shaw murder - http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2...nniversary.php
Nuns murdered - http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...50-504083.html

These are only a FEW! MY LIST IS VERY LONG.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Mexico is home to eleven billionaires including Carlos Slim who is said to be the world's richest man. Why can't THEY support their countrymen instead of the American taxpayer?

Exactly. Mexico has no right to ask for money from Americans. Mexico has the world's 11th largest economy. Restructure that economy to benefit ordinary Mexicans instead of a tiny oligarchy. Instead many Mexicans prefer to come here without permission and take money out of our economy. That has to stop.
We are looking at this from different perspectives. You view it as charity. I view it as acting in our own best interest, investing in our own future. Did we rebuild Europe after WWII out of a sense of charity? Of course not! We did so because our economies are inter-dependent and for worldwide security.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
We are looking at this from different perspectives. You view it as charity. I view it as acting in our own best interest, investing in our own future. Did we rebuild Europe after WWII out of a sense of charity? Of course not! We did so because our economies are inter-dependent and for worldwide security.
Please explain to me why I, an American taxpayer, should be taxed to support people who live in the world's 11th economy. Mexico is not a poor nation. Let the rich people in Mexico support the poor people in Mexico. Supporting poor Mexicans is not my responsibility.

Our own best interests would be to: refuse citizenship unless at least one parent is here legally, fine employers who hire illegal migrants and demand that Mexicans stop sending their poor here. Our best interests are not served by propping up Mexico's oligarchy and telling badly educated, low skilled, non-English speaking Mexicans we will support their poorly thought out childbearing decisions.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Please explain to me why I, an American taxpayer, should be taxed to support people who live in the world's 11th economy. Mexico is not a poor nation.
Improved access to new markets, better trade routes, more substantial and meaningful economic exchange, potential development of resource sharing agreements, and reduced illegal immigration and drug trade.
Quote:
Let the rich people in Mexico support the poor people in Mexico. Supporting poor Mexicans is not my responsibility.
the rich few in mexico benefit from the status quo. The US does not.

The US spent a ton of money developing the American west - without American tax dollars it would still be a useless desert. Today the American West is a huge boon to our economy. Whether or not people were starving in Denver when we did so is irrelevant.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Improved access to new markets, better trade routes, more substantial and meaningful economic exchange, potential development of resource sharing agreements, and reduced illegal immigration and drug trade.

The US spent a ton of money developing the American west - without American tax dollars it would still be a useless desert. Today the American West is a huge boon to our economy. Whether or not people were starving in Denver when we did so is irrelevant.
The rich few in Mexico should develop their own country. The American taxpayer is not responsible for the development of Mexico. It's really that simple. Our foreign policies should be aimed at helping Americans and developing our economy. We should not strive to provide for the needs of Mexico's underclass.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:29 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:

That’s a pipe dream. Mexico has had hundreds of years to bring itself out of the pits, but the corruption is much too ingrained to ever change. Plus, why would they want to eliminate illegal immigration? After all, it's their #2 source of revenue. They are a failed state on the brink of implosion. More reason to secure our borders, and enforce our laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration