Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:32 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times

Advertisements

What I AM tired of seeing is redistricting based on census data that doesn't even take into account whether the demographics obtained are legal citizens or not. If it's about voting shouldn't it ONLY be based on legal citizens with the right to vote? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
What I AM tired of seeing is redistricting based on census data that doesn't even take into account whether the demographics obtained are legal citizens or not. If it's about voting shouldn't it ONLY be based on legal citizens with the right to vote? Doesn't make any sense to me.
I agree, Opyelie. It is totally unfair that some districts get greater poliitical representation where illegals are being counted along with citizens. Illegals can't vote. So why are they being counted for representation?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:07 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I agree, Opyelie. It is totally unfair that some districts get greater poliitical representation where illegals are being counted along with citizens. Illegals can't vote. So why are they being counted for representation?
Interesting. Do we know for certain that illegals are being counted in the census?
Thanks.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Interesting. Do we know for certain that illegals are being counted in the census?
Thanks.
Absolutely! I am surprised you didn't know that. The Census forms do not ask for status in this country.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
Quote:
Absolutely! I am surprised you didn't know that. The Census forms do not ask for status in this country.
That's another issue that totally mystifies me.....why it is "not allowed" for government agencies et al to ask immigration status. As a legal immigrant I personally have zero issues with stating the answer to the question "are you in this country legally" (and providing proof of same) so it seems it's only those who are here illegally that are being "protected" by these restrictions. Have to wonder why.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
That's another issue that totally mystifies me.....why it is "not allowed" for government agencies et al to ask immigration status. As a legal immigrant I personally have zero issues with stating the answer to the question "are you in this country legally" (and providing proof of same) so it seems it's only those who are here illegally that are being "protected" by these restrictions. Have to wonder why.
I do not know why this is either. We ask for personal ID for anything. Also, when you are asking for personal ID most of the time birth certificates are required.

To me the problem is that we as a group have allowed this to happen. My parents emgrated from Mexico and I am glad they did. I am even willing to compromise in the government looking at different cases of people are have been here illegaly. As in any other legal cases there are certain circumstances where the law has made consesions. However, I do not believe in having a blanket program where all illegals are given resident/citizen status.

We as a group have not scream loudly enough for our elected leaders to take action. In that sense illegals and many hispanics, mostly, are screaming louder, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the elected leaders see this group as a voting advantage.

I believe President Johnson is the one that started this problem. Before him immigration screened people for skills our country could use. With him it was more of a matter of humanitarian purposes. Unify families and reasons of that matter.

So if we want matters to change more people need to get into the act and make sure the voice on the issue is louder because the other side I believe is winning and gaining grounds little by little, take care.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I do not know why this is either. We ask for personal ID for anything. Also, when you are asking for personal ID most of the time birth certificates are required.

To me the problem is that we as a group have allowed this to happen. My parents emgrated from Mexico and I am glad they did. I am even willing to compromise in the government looking at different cases of people are have been here illegaly. As in any other legal cases there are certain circumstances where the law has made consesions. However, I do not believe in having a blanket program where all illegals are given resident/citizen status.

We as a group have not scream loudly enough for our elected leaders to take action. In that sense illegals and many hispanics, mostly, are screaming louder, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the elected leaders see this group as a voting advantage.

I believe President Johnson is the one that started this problem. Before him immigration screened people for skills our country could use. With him it was more of a matter of humanitarian purposes. Unify families and reasons of that matter.

So if we want matters to change more people need to get into the act and make sure the voice on the issue is louder because the other side I believe is winning and gaining grounds little by little, take care.
I agree with much you have said except we have been screaming about this issue for years but our congress critters aren't listening because many are in the back pockets of big business or in the case of the Democrats are looking at potential voters and pandering to a certain ethnic group that wants illegals rewarded for violating our immigration laws.

Why do you suppose that many states are implementing anti-illegal immigration laws? Much of it is due to our screaming about it. No the other side will never win in the end. The majority are speaking out now.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:07 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Some of you haven't heard of other orginization against Illegal immigration. I've been with NumbersUSA for 6 years. Each member there sends faxes, letters, a phone calls to their respective State and local Congress, Senators and Governors, along with the White House about the issue at Hand. I just rceived a hand written letter from OK, Congressman Tom Cole after faxing him about the new initiation about stopping automatic Citizenship. I've sent 170 faxes and letters to Obama, and other State Rep's and Gov's across this country since SB1070 came in to play. And I'm only one of the thousands of members (from every state) with NumbersUSA, not to mention many other Orginizations fighting to save this country.
So if you feel you need to do something, join NumbersUSA and let your State and Local Reps know what you want and where you stand with immigration.
Hey...the other 25 state's aren't filing initiatives just because they think it's a good idea, they're being informed by US Citizens like you and me, and orginizations, that we want change's in that state.
There are several Orginizations you can join if you want to help. We could use your help.

NumbersUSA
ALIPAC
FAIR
MCDC
Judicial Watch
and more...
I'm a member of all of the above.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 03-03-2011 at 05:16 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Some of you haven't heard of other orginization against Illegal immigration. I've been with NumbersUSA for 6 years. Each member there sends faxes, letters, a phone calls to their respective State and local Congress, Senators and Governors, along with the White House about the issue at Hand. I just rceived a hand written letter from OK, Congressman Tom Cole after faxing him about the new initiation about stopping automatic Citizenship. I've sent 170 faxes and letters to Obama, and other State Rep's and Gov's across this country since SB1070 came in to play. And I'm only one of the thousands of members (from every state) with NumbersUSA, not to mention many other Orginizations fighting to save this country.
So if you feel you need to do something, join NumbersUSA and let your State and Local Reps know what you want and where you stand with immigration.
Hey...the other 25 state's aren't filing initiatives just because they think it's a good idea, they're being informed by US Citizens like you and me, and orginizations, that we want change's in that state.
There are several Orginizations you can join if you want to help. We could use your help.

NumbersUSA
ALIPAC
FAIR
MCDC
Judicial Watch
and more...
I'm a member of all of the above.
According to the pro-illegals in here though we aren't doing anything to fight illegal immigration. Nothing could be further from the truth. They just want us to appear weak and submissive when we are not. They are just trying to convince themselves and others that they are winning this war when in fact they know they are losing and that just burns their touches.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:06 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Quote:
Quote:
According to the pro-illegals in here though we aren't doing anything to fight illegal immigration. Nothing could be further from the truth.
They just want us to appear weak and submissive when we are not. They are just trying to convince themselves and others that they are winning this war when in fact they know they are losing and that just burns their touches.
I've been reading those posts and I get a laugh out of them because they're clueless on what's being done in the background.
If what they say was true, then why didn't CIR, Amnesty or The DREAMact pass with flying colors?
Someone has to be at the other end inform politician about the true facts and possible consequences, because too many of them don't find out on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration