Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:25 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times

Advertisements

Trailer with a better life

Quote:
A Better Life," opening June 24 from Summit Entertainment, has been in development for years, but came together quickly when writer Eric Eason ("A Journey to the End of Night") joined forces with director Chris Weitz ("The Twilight Saga: New Moon").
Quote:
The film looks at the relationship between illegal immigrant Carlos Galindo (Mexican actor Demián Bichir) and his teenage son, Luis (José Julián). When Carlos’ truck is stolen, the father is powerless to turn to law enforcement, but the crisis brings him closer to his potentially wayward son. Weitz shot the film in about 70 Southern California locations, employing any number of Latino crew members for a movie that contains a significant amount of Spanish dialogue.“It’s a story about a Mexican immigrant,” Weitz says, “a very hard-working man, and the threats to his livelihood and his life.”
Why are they promoting the life of a criminal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 06:42 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,725 times
Oh, boy...that's Hollywood and California for ya, brah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Because you could turn a buck over it like they are doing right now, riding the illegal alien bandwagon.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
This movie should be MANDATORY on channels in Mexico and Guatemala to show how badly they treat their own.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Criminals are sensationalized in movies all the time.

Just look at it as entertainment.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:29 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Because it's a movie, that's why. Are they supposed to check with you first before they make a movie and then make only movies that are approved by you?

People can make a movie, write anything they wish, say anything they wish, in this country (for the most post). Maybe not in your opinion, but that's the way it is in the US. Thank God. You don't have to like it.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:56 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Because it's a movie, that's why. Are they supposed to check with you first before they make a movie and then make only movies that are approved by you?

People can make a movie, write anything they wish, say anything they wish, in this country (for the most post). Maybe not in your opinion, but that's the way it is in the US. Thank God. You don't have to like it.
A so called "nonfictional" movie, should show the whole truth and not just a cover-up story.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:23 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Criminals are sensationalized in movies all the time.

Just look at it as entertainment.
Yes entertainment with an agenda, at least it's not ridiculous and over the top like Rodriguez's Machete.

Might be an interesting story from an entertainment point of view, won't know unless I see it. Probably wait till it hits cable.

Personally I watch a wide range of things, not only things I agree with, just like what's read on the net.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:36 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Yes entertainment with an agenda, at least it's not ridiculous and over the top like Rodriguez's Machete.

Quote:
Might be an interesting story from an entertainment point of view
, won't know unless I see it. Probably wait till it hits cable.

Personally I watch a wide range of things, not only things I agree with, just like what's read on the net.
I seriously doubt that it's meant to be viewed as "intertainment".
More like a false "learning tool" for those who are less educated on Illegal immigration.

Make it a "48 Hour Mystery".

Old 02-28-2011, 12:54 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I seriously doubt that it's meant to be viewed as "intertainment".
More like a false "learning tool" for those who are less educated on Illegal immigration.

Make it a "48 Hour Mystery".
Perhaps, the public can be really stupid at times. There are alot of people that believe wild animals are just like the ones depicted in Disney cartoons.

I really don't see a large audience for this. Probably a short run and then onto DVD.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:03 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post

They can make a movie, but they can't make people go see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Perhaps, the public can be really stupid at times. There are alot of people that believe wild animals are just like the ones depicted in Disney cartoons.

I really don't see a large audience for this. Probably a short run and then onto DVD.
I don't intend to watch it in any form. I hope it flops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration