U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

But, I thought illegals only do the work Americans won’t do.

Quote:
One day after Howard Industries Inc. pleaded guilty and agreed to pay a $2.5 million fine for violating immigration laws, four women filed suit against the company accusing it of discriminating against them because they aren't Latino.

Veronica Cook, Yolanda Phelps, Charlyn Dozier and Seleatha McGee, all African American, said they repeatedly applied for employment at Howard Industries, but were only hired after the company was raided by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. On Aug. 25, 2008, 592 illegal workers were arrested at the electrical transformer plant in Laurel in the biggest workplace immigration raid in U.S. history.
Lawsuit: Howard Industries discriminated | The Clarion-Ledger | clarionledger.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 03:01 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
But, I thought illegals only do the work Americans won’t do.

Lawsuit: Howard Industries discriminated | The Clarion-Ledger | clarionledger.com
I hope they win this lawsuit. I am sick of illegal alien Hispanics being chosen over non-Hispanic American citizens by the employers or legal ones just because they can speak Spanish.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:17 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,291,186 times
I hope they mroe then win this lawsuit, and stick it this employer where the sun don't shine, they only take jobs Americans won't do, is a load of bull crap. And the employers hiring these illegals, need to be made an example of. Fine them, thrown their a-- in jail, whatever it takes, they are no better themselves then those breaking the law and coming here illegally, these employers are no better.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:39 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
I actually have been wondering about this for a LONG time: isn't it discrimination when you go into a business, such as a restaurant and you see an obvious majority of Hispanic workers? I'll go somewhere sometime and I am amazed by the lack of anyone that is not Hispanic and I just feel like there more likely than not has been some preference given to either a) illegal immigrants who are Hispanic or b) just Hispanic people because of family ties. For instance, the manager is Hispanic so he hires all Hispanic friends or just Hispanic people in general out of loyalty.

That is WRONG. This has been going on for a LONG time too. We don't see a lack of non-Hispanics in places anymore because "Americans don't want to work," we see a lack of them for a reason. There are more lawsuits to be had.

I just read the article and this is interesting:

Quote:
Its former human resources manager, Jose Humberto Gonzalez, had pleaded guilty in December 2009 to conspiracy and admitted he hired hundreds of people whom he knew were in the country illegally.
Note the name of the HR manager. I'm going to ASSUME with great confidence that Jose is Mexican and if not Mexican, he is obviously Hispanic. I know Mexican people and I am in close relation with many of them; Mexicans are loyal to Mexicans and I don't doubt that he only wanted to hire fellow Mexicans. The other issue is the culture that Mexican illegal and legal immigrants bring with them. They don't know how we do things in this country and they aren't really educated on discrimination. To them, only dealing with fellow Mexicans is a loyalty thing, something that is normal. They get away with this too because in this country we pamper and cater them because we keep making excuses for them that they are a special group that can be excused of these violations, such as not learning English. So, we're going to see more of these things as more immigrants (legal and illegal) are put into hiring and management positions that allow them to violate the rights of legal U.S. residents. If there is a Mexican to hire and the other applicants are White, Asian, or Black, I know that most of the time the Mexican will hire the Mexican.

After a while, just like with the relationship between Whites and Blacks historically, it will be obvious that this is what is happening and that Hispanics are discriminating against other people.

It is all a circle in our country and history is repeating itself.

Quote:
"This lawsuit isn't just for African Americans, it's also for whites who were discriminated against," Ross said.
See what I mean. It's against all people, not just Black people. If you aren't Hispanic in many cases, you are going to be looked over. Just like history: if you weren't white, you were getting nothing.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I actually have been wondering about this for a LONG time: isn't it discrimination when you go into a business, such as a restaurant and you see an obvious majority of Hispanic workers? I'll go somewhere sometime and I am amazed by the lack of anyone that is not Hispanic and I just feel like there more likely than not has been some preference given to either a) illegal immigrants who are Hispanic or b) just Hispanic people because of family ties. For instance, the manager is Hispanic so he hires all Hispanic friends or just Hispanic people in general out of loyalty.

That is WRONG. This has been going on for a LONG time too. We don't see a lack of non-Hispanics in places anymore because "Americans don't want to work," we see a lack of them for a reason. There are more lawsuits to be had.
You see a whole lot of that. The town I'm in has many very blatant examples of that. Family members of our soldiers cannot find work but any one coming over fresh from Mexico can easily find a job.

There are thousands of examples here of businesses where there are 100% hispanic employees, many who speak very little English.

There's an article today about a town with 30% foreign born - all from Mexico, it's about their high drop out rates and schools - but immigrants trying to come here legally with job skills and education are put through the wringer.

Not only that - while businesses owned by Americans are going bankrupt and suffering from the economy, the government is handing fleeing Juarez businesses millions of dollars to get started up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration