Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:30 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,828 times

Advertisements

"The blast worked. A bill carried by Rep. Andy Nuñez (I-Hatch) that would rescind the state’s policy allowing illegal immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses successfully bypassed the committee process — a rarely used parliamentary procedure called “blasting a bill” — Friday (March 4) when the House floor voted 42-28 to move the measure onto the Senate."

House approves bill rescinding driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants, 42-28

So much for us Hispanics liking illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Martinez might be a good presidential candidate.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
And an immigrants’ rights group, Somos Un Pueblo Unido, released a statement that said in part:
“It’s a dangerous precedent and inexcusable that House members would shut New Mexicans out from the legislative process by blasting Rep. Nuñez’ bill to the floor, and passing a substitute bill without any hearings or public input. Legislators’ refusal to even consider a ‘compromise’ bill that attempted to address specific concerns about fraud, shows that this debate isn’t about sound public policy, it’s about politics and re-election campaigns.
Quote:
We are hopeful that in the remaining weeks our elected officials will do their jobs, legislate responsibly based on facts and not hateful political rhetoric about hardworking immigrants in our state.
So when a politician finally enforce a Law, it's "hateful political rhetoric"

It's not hateful politics,....it's life in the real world.....so get over it!

These people need to restudy " 2nd grade Grammar"

Old 03-05-2011, 09:40 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,061 times
This was the real problem - "state’s policy allowing illegal immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses".

Old 03-05-2011, 12:32 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
New Mexico's initial rationale in allowing licences to illegals was that it would make the roads safer - instead of driving illegally illegals would be able to pass driving tests, get licensed and get insurance. Unfortunately there is no evidence that it made much of a difference in % of insured drivers.

I recently renewed my license in Texas and was surprised (I shouldn't have been) at the number of people turned away because they "forgot" their SSN, didn't remember it, and had no evidence of residency when asked if they were citizens. Many were surprised to find that Texas checks their driving record & fines in other states. In the initial "weeding out" line only Hispanic looking people were asked if they were citizens.
I'm glad to see that the NM bill passed & was supported by enough Democrats.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM

24 posts, read 26,171 times
A buddy of mine who's a DUI lawyer says that a lot of his Polish clients who live on the NW side of Chicago interestingly have New Mexico drivers' licenses It's totally being abused. Good to see this loophole closing.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdessucke View Post
A buddy of mine who's a DUI lawyer says that a lot of his Polish clients who live on the NW side of Chicago interestingly have New Mexico drivers' licenses It's totally being abused. Good to see this loophole closing.
I hope they know to keep a good eye on the clerks and others in many of those DMV's. That's why this whole thing was so corrupt.

Originally it was supposed to be for illegals actually residing in NM or at least it was sold to the more gullible that it was for that, to make roads safer and that illegals would be lining up to pay for insurance if only they could be given licenses.

The clerks themselves are why it became so corrupt. They actually will inform illegals how to commit fraud and get some utility statement with a similar name to theirs or just get someone to write a notarized letter that they rent to them. They actually advise applicants on how to commit the right kind of fraud and let them know how easy it all is.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Martinez might be a good presidential candidate.
She is no-nonsense, no BS, get the job done.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:33 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
New Mexico's initial rationale in allowing licences to illegals was that it would make the roads safer - instead of driving illegally illegals would be able to pass driving tests, get licensed and get insurance. Unfortunately there is no evidence that it made much of a difference in % of insured drivers.

I recently renewed my license in Texas and was surprised (I shouldn't have been) at the number of people turned away because they "forgot" their SSN, didn't remember it, and had no evidence of residency when asked if they were citizens. Many were surprised to find that Texas checks their driving record & fines in other states. In the initial "weeding out" line only Hispanic looking people were asked if they were citizens.
I'm glad to see that the NM bill passed & was supported by enough Democrats.
Why is that?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why is that?
Inability to speak a word of English would be my guess. It's so bad that they must provide clerical staff and police to communicate with the license applicants in Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration