Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:14 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Actually the Utah law attempts to work in concert with the Federal Guest Worker Program...not to circumvent it. The Utal law attempts to have the Utah Worforce Services establish a guest-worker program but follows the federal program's rules. The law calls for federal waivers so that the program can be implimented; and state that federal Guest-worker rules will be followed.

This law, could be argued, is in line with the federal 287(g) program...in which the federal government give local LEAs the option to participate and become deputized immigration enforcement agents; with all the enforcemt powers of federal immigration agents to enforce federal immigration laws.

Arizona's SB1070 works to make Arizona Law enforcement officers state immigrations officers, enforcing state immigration laws.

Whether the federal government allows waivers so that Utah to implement a state guest-worker program[following US Guest-Woker Program rules] is still to be seen.

http://le.utah.gov/~2011/bills/hbillint/hb0116.pdf

http://www.esd.wa.gov/newsandinformation/factsheets/foreign-guest-worker-programs-1-21-11.pdf (broken link)
When did illegal aliens become guest workers? Moreover, we are not discussing a guest worker program. We are discussing the Utah law granting work permits to illegal aliens, which, by the way, IS a violation of federal laws.

Please stop trying to obfuscate. The guest worker provision of this law is a separate issue, but, I’m sure you know that. If you want to discuss other provisions of this law, please start a thread. The topic of this thread is: Utah Passes Law Granting Work Permits to Illegal Aliens. Your thread hijacks are getting tiresome.

Quote:
• Establish in the Department of Public Safety a program for illegal immigrants to obtain a work permit in Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 12:24 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,561 times
Interesting that this is referred to as the "solution to illegal immigration".

So the solution to deal with lawbreakers is to reward lawbreakers? How does that make any sense?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:32 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
How does Utah have a manpower shortage. Mormons have the highest birthrates in the nation.
You have inadvertantly hit on the answer.

Yes, Mormons have a high birthrate. But most of their growth (i.e. conversions) comes from the....you guessed it...Third World.

The LDS does not want to spoil their image in Latin America.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No truer words. We are being played by both parties. Sadly, the sheeple have been so thoroughly indoctrinated to adhere to party loyalty, they don’t even realize they are mere puppets on a string. In reality, there is no difference between the Democrat and Republican politicians, because neither side has our best interest at heart. Most are greedy narcissists, motivated by their insatiable thirst for power. Yet, their blind followers continue to rip each other apart like wild animals, because no matter what, they MUST defend “their side.”

Unless people wake up and see politicians for the crooks they are, our country is doomed. In my entire life, I have never witnessed such vitriolic partisan bickering as now. The puppeteers must be proud.

As ususal i agree with you. Very true we have been played miserably by both sides, who could give a damn about this problem, i have seen no proof from either side that they care about this pesky miserable costly problem.

Most politicians on both sides of the aisle, are greedy, care about themselves and thirst for power. I won't defend either sides on this, they are both ignorant fools.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,708 times
Quote:
When did illegal aliens become guest workers? Moreover, we are not discussing a guest worker program. We are discussing the Utah law granting work permits to illegal aliens, which, by the way, IS a violation of federal laws.

Please stop trying to obfuscate. The guest worker provision of this law is a separate issue, but, I’m sure you know that. If you want to discuss other provisions of this law, please start a thread. The topic of this thread is: Utah Passes Law Granting Work Permits to Illegal Aliens. Your thread hijacks are getting tiresome.
Lets follow the story...did you read the proposed bill?

Its called...Guest Worker Program Act. I didnt make that up.

[LEFT]
Quote:
This bill modifies the Utah Workforce Services Code to establish a guest worker program that provides for the issuance of permits to undocumented individuals.
I'm sorry you have a problem with my posts, but how can I hijack the thread when I'm discussing the proposed Utah law? The permits and guest worker desingnation are not seperate issues...just because you say they are. You are under no obligation to respond to my posts.

[/LEFT]

Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post

So the solution to deal with lawbreakers is to reward lawbreakers? How does that make any sense?
Can you imagine if other laws rewarded violators? What if thieves received $10,000 for every theft committed. Or, murderers were rewarded with a new car. The mere notion is beyond absurd. Yet, that is exactly what these clowns want for illegal aliens -- violate our immigration laws, and commit theft and fraud to live here, and we will help you get a job.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Lets follow the story...did you read the proposed bill?

Its called...Guest Worker Program Act. I didnt make that up.

[LEFT]

I'm sorry you have a problem with my posts, but how can I hijack the thread when I'm discussing the proposed Utah law? The permits and guest worker desingnation are not seperate issues...just because you say they are. You are under no obligation to respond to my posts.

[/LEFT]
I repeat -- the guest worker provision of the Utah law is a separate issue. Do you understand the difference between a work permit and a guest worker permit?

Quote:
HB116 will:

Establish in the Department of Public Safety a program for illegal immigrants to obtain a work permit in Utah.

• Impose fines of up to $2,500 on those who apply for the permit.

• Require businesses with 15 or more employees to verify their legal status or face penalties including fines and business license suspensions.

• Require police to check the immigration status of people detained or arrested for felonies and class A misdemeanors; give police discretion to check the status for those suspected of class B and class C misdemeanors.

The bill allows illegal immigrants in the state prior to May 11, 2011 to be eligible for the guest worker permit, which Rep. Dave Clark, R-Santa Clara, not just opens he door to illegal immigrants but opens the barn door.
Both are in violation of our laws. You can’t establish a program with Mexico, as this so-called guest worker program intends to do, for people who do not have legal authorization to be here.

Quote:
That effort put Bramble and Sandstrom at odds, although they are now working together on the migrant worker program. HB466, which would establish a partnership with the Mexican state of Nuevo Leon to supply workers to Utah, sailed through the House and Senate on Friday.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:15 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,053 times
Quote:

As we've seen so often, the "solution" to illegal immigration always seems to be a very simplistic "make them legal, problem solved" scenario

Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,561 times
Quote:
Can you imagine if other laws rewarded violators? What if thieves received $10,000 for every theft committed. Or, murderers were rewarded with a new car. The mere notion is beyond absurd. Yet, that is exactly what these clowns want for illegal aliens -- violate our immigration laws, and commit theft and fraud to live here, and we will help you get a job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
As we've seen so often, the "solution" to illegal immigration always seems to be a very simplistic "make them legal, problem solved" scenario
Which is ridiculous because this gives people more incentive to break the law than follow the law!

Old 03-08-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Which is ridiculous because this gives people more incentive to break the law than follow the law!
Indeed it does. I’m sure illegals are crossing the border at this moment in response to this idiotic law. After all, they have until May to become eligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration