U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:07 AM

180 posts, read 89,840 times

Advertisements

Here’s a real gem found in Dick Lamm’s book Two Wands, One Nation:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/DLamm.JPG (broken link)

"Let me offer you, metaphorically, two magic wands that have sweeping powers to change society. With one wand you could wipe out all racism and discrimination from the hearts and minds of white America. The other wand you could wave across the ghettos and barrios of America and infuse the inhabitants with Japanese or Jewish values, respect for learning and ambition."

"I suggest that the best wand for society and for those who live in the ghettos and barrios would be the second wand."

For a moment there, I thought the second wand would simply wipe out non-whites altogether. Anyway, I have a suggestion of my own of what he can do with those wands.

Last edited by MexicanGuy; 07-26-2007 at 05:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 AM

763 posts, read 1,294,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanGuy View Post
This is not entirely accurate—they are not the only part of the problem, just the most visible one. The American government has allowed immigrants to cross the border illegally for decades, and have allowed big and small businesses to hire those illegal immigrants.

I think that, in this case, it would fit better to say that Latin Americans would have a hard time differentiating a Texan from a Pennsylvanian, or Americans from Canadians.
You're correct on both points. However, you might have misapplied them to my post, though I clearly wasn’t clear.

The problems of immigration, both kinds, are the cause of both American government/business polices and the unwillingness of immigrants, both kinds, to clean up their own national mess. I don’t think Canada is anxiously awaiting the influx of immigrants after November 2008 irrespective of the winner.

Your point about Texans, Pennsylvanians, etc is good in one way—areas with geographic boundary—but within each of the States are many races. Not so, in a general sense, of Latin American countries.

America is made up of so many races because of Americans’ willingness to expend the efforts to remain free and progress in civilized fashion. And what we have wrought thereby causes overwhelming yearning in others to partake of the great results of those efforts. Those who think they cannot, or those who can but will not, do the same in their native countries rush to America because it’s much easier.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:03 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,702,450 times
No I dont believe anyone should give up their culture. My family was from ireland and germany. they spoke german in the home, danced irish **** and celebrated their holidays., in their home. But they spoke English in public and adapted to the American way of life and respected and thank America for what ithad to offer. Thats the difference between then and now. It is give me give me, instead of please help and thank you.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
No I dont believe anyone should give up their culture. My family was from ireland and germany. they spoke german in the home, danced irish **** and celebrated their holidays., in their home. But they spoke English in public and adapted to the American way of life and respected and thank America for what ithad to offer. Thats the difference between then and now. It is give me give me, instead of please help and thank you.
Exactly, English should be mandatory for anyone aspiring to live in the United States. Now, I hope you didn't mean to say that your family only danced Irish **** and celebrated their holidays at home, because you ought to be free to dance an Irish *** wherever you damn please; moreover, I think that, in a free country, you ought to be permitted to speak in whichever language you wish to speak—at home or on the street.

"Please help and thank you"? These immigrants have been allowed to enter the United States in order to be exploited—maybe not by Mexican standards, but certainly by American standards—for decades. Yes, they’re doing better economically in the States than they would in their home countries, but that doesn’t mean that American business hasn’t been taking advantage of them.

Last edited by MexicanGuy; 07-26-2007 at 07:32 AM..

Old 07-26-2007, 07:33 AM

25,476 posts, read 23,306,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You're right, MexicanGuy, he has instilled fear. Lamm is no free-lance wacko, though; he was once a state governor. You know I'm no racist, and you also know the racists are out there; we see them every day, on this forum. But I'll let you in on a little secret- in the "non-white" community up here that I'm familiar with (friends, spouse, and family) racists don't carry a lot of weight. They are kind of funny to watch, and to talk about. I suppose it's because where I live, the racists will never be in "control". What DOES bother our group, though (many who had grandparents or relatives who were illegals) is the "GOOFY" liberals (not my words alone) who are looked at as insincere. There is NO ONE I know personally, of ANY ethnicity, who is in favor of open borders, even if THEY THEMSELVES benefitted from it in the past. If that sounds "selfish", maybe it is. (I take it back- we DO have a few open-borders people, mostly high-school or college age, but not many). Forgetting the USA for a moment, I can honestly say NO COUNTRY can possibly survive long without some sort of control over its perimeters.
The immigrants are only a tiny part of the picture, and, as you suggest, the immigrants are what draws the racists out of their hiding places and gets them onto this forum. But you can't deny there's s serious situation here, no matter if the racists speak up or not.
Enjoyed your post.....

I enjoyed his post to....

But I love yours just as much...

We were all illegals at one time, but we all worked very hard to become one with the American institutions...and disrespect of the law, will come back to hit us real hard in the face of our lives, no, actually our grand-children's eyes...

I'm so tired of liberal thinking...it doesn't work...we've tried it and all it has done is succeeded in chipping away at American traditions...

I'm with ya...all the way, and I thank God there are still people who not only think like you, but have the intelligence and commone sense to do so.

Thank you

Old 07-26-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
...and disrespect of the law, will come back to hit us real hard...
This is very true, and the worst part is that the first to disregard America’s laws was the American government.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:27 AM

763 posts, read 1,294,510 times
Quote:
This is very true, and the worst part is that the first to disregard America’s laws was the American government.
No way for you to substantiate that claim. This isn't one of those "HE/SHE STARTED IT!!!!" deals. This is a very old problem that has increased enormously in scope recently. Thirty years ago on a visit to my sister in Texas, I went on a business trip with her to New Mexico. We stopped for a night in El Paso and went to a place with a lot of other people who were entertaining themselves by watching the nightly crashing of the borders by illegals with border patrol after them. Obviously, the patrols knew only a small percentage would be caught. It was a discouraging sight to see THIRTY YEARS AGO. Tell me again who “started it.” Sorry, MexicanGuy, your normally well-thought-out comments missed the mark on this one.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Exactly, English should be mandatory for anyone aspiring to live in the United States. Now, I hope you didn't mean to say that your family only danced Irish **** and celebrated their holidays at home, because you ought to be free to dance an Irish *** wherever you damn please; moreover, I think that, in a free country, you ought to be permitted to speak in whichever language you wish to speak—at home or on the street.

"Please help and thank you"? These immigrants have been allowed to enter the United States in order to be exploited—maybe not by Mexican standards, but certainly by American standards—for decades. Yes, they’re doing better economically in the States than they would in their home countries, but that doesn’t mean that American business hasn’t been taking advantage of them.
No we didnt throw giant irish parties in the middle of the neighborhood speaking gaelic, or giant German beer fests and play loud german music and yell at everyone in German in public. And yes they have been allowed to come here by our governement, illegally and ourgovernment should be fired and we should start over. But where is the illegals accountability? No one forces them too come here, no one forces them to use and abuse our system or break our laws. But their way of life and language is being forced on us, on American citizens, yet they have no accountability for what they do, just more demands. It isnt right.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
Thirty years ago on a visit to my sister in Texas, I went on a business trip with her to New Mexico. We stopped for a night in El Paso and went to a place with a lot of other people who were entertaining themselves by watching the nightly crashing of the borders by illegals with border patrol after them. Obviously, the patrols knew only a small percentage would be caught. It was a discouraging sight to see THIRTY YEARS AGO.
By saying that the U.S. government has let them in, I clearly meant that it has not done all that is in its power to stop them. Do you really think that, if the United States had a genuine interest in keeping them out, the government wouldn’t have been able to? The worst part is that, in this game of hide and seek, many illegals have died trying to cross through the desert, because the American government, in its hope of maintaining the illusion of cracking down on border jumpers, has progressively made it more dangerous for these immigrants to cross the border.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
By saying that the U.S. government has let them in, I clearly meant that it has not done all that is in its power to stop them. Do you really think that, if the United States had a genuine interest in keeping them out, the government wouldn’t have been able to? The worst part is that, in this game of hide and seek, many illegals have died trying to cross through the desert, because the American government, in its hope of maintaining the illusion of cracking down on border jumpers, has progressively made it more dangerous for these immigrants to cross the border.
What should it be made easier, yea that would help. No one asks or forces them to cross. They know the risks yet instead of protesting and forcing their government to make Mexico better, they come here and take from us. It should be alot harder to cross actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or