U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2007, 11:16 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,207,565 times
Reputation: 2344

Advertisements

Most people from Latin countries are actually of Mestizo decent (A mixture of Spaniard and Native American descent), although their countries are as diverse as ours. I knew a guy labeled "Hispanic" from Peru who was Black and Asian! . The word "hispanic" is useless, I hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2007, 11:56 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanGuy View Post
Why on Earth would you want to live in Beverly Hills?
Thank God this is a boast I made with the assurance that I'd never have to back it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2007, 01:53 AM
 
3,747 posts, read 7,210,050 times
Reputation: 4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This statement is absolutely true; my experience has been entirely positive, as well, and I've generally been treated better in Mexico than in the US, in a great many instances. Unfortunately, our good experiences with the people of Mexico don't really address the cause of the present rancorous bickering that goes on in regards to the immigration situation here in the USA.
If you and I could somehow PROVE, beyond a DOUBT, that 75% of the citizens of the US were hateful, close-minded, admitted racists; and that 80% of the population of Mexico were warm-hearted, hard-working, family-oriented people, it STILL would not address the problem of illegal immigration. That problem has less to do with people's goodness than with national sovereignty, the rule of law, and economics......it's not as simple as who is "deserving".
You may not think so, but I'm a nice guy--I'm honest, humble, and hard working--but I can't live in Beverly Hills. I don't own property there, and if I "squatted" there, I'd sooner or later be arrested for trespassing. And I am fully confident that I'm a nicer person than 75% of the residents of Beverly Hills, and CERTAINLY a whole lot poorer and more deserving. All of that is beside the point. I can't live there, and they can--and if they HIRE me to work there, I still have to leave at the end of the day. It doesn't sound fair, but that's how a society based on laws works....

PS in conclusion, I'll say that in my PERSONAL experience, I've never seen the kind of squabbling that goes on on this forum..perhaps I've been sheltered...but this is worse than "real life", as far as that goes...
Good stuff! Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2007, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Occupied Territory
354 posts, read 224,915 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This statement is absolutely true; my experience has been entirely positive, as well, and I've generally been treated better in Mexico than in the US, in a great many instances. Unfortunately, our good experiences with the people of Mexico don't really address the cause of the present rancorous bickering that goes on in regards to the immigration situation here in the USA.
If you and I could somehow PROVE, beyond a DOUBT, that 75% of the citizens of the US were hateful, close-minded, admitted racists; and that 80% of the population of Mexico were warm-hearted, hard-working, family-oriented people, it STILL would not address the problem of illegal immigration. That problem has less to do with people's goodness than with national sovereignty, the rule of law, and economics......it's not as simple as who is "deserving".
You may not think so, but I'm a nice guy--I'm honest, humble, and hard working--but I can't live in Beverly Hills. I don't own property there, and if I "squatted" there, I'd sooner or later be arrested for trespassing. And I am fully confident that I'm a nicer person than 75% of the residents of Beverly Hills, and CERTAINLY a whole lot poorer and more deserving. All of that is beside the point. I can't live there, and they can--and if they HIRE me to work there, I still have to leave at the end of the day. It doesn't sound fair, but that's how a society based on laws works....

PS in conclusion, I'll say that in my PERSONAL experience, I've never seen the kind of squabbling that goes on on this forum..perhaps I've been sheltered...but this is worse than "real life", as far as that goes...
I have always been treated with the utmost respect when I am in Mexico andf I am in the country at least twice each month. But, that is a completely different setting than it is in this country. Many Mexicans, not always illegals, absolutely show their their hate for Anglos when they are in this country.

The fact that you have not seen the kind of disagreeing as you say goes on in this forum does in fact mean that you are sheltered. Sorry, but disagreements about the immigration and illegal problem in this country are happening everywhere, except of course Beverly Hills. BTW, I would not live in that city no matter what. Sorry and I hope that you are happy because I would rather stay in NM, which I do not particularily like because of all of the illegals.

BTW, I agree with most of your post and I think you made some darn good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2007, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Texas- moving back to New England!
556 posts, read 477,846 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanGuy View Post
Terms like Caucasian and Hispanic are pretty vague, and donít really say much about a personís ethnic background.

By the way, I hope you mean to say that your wife hates lots of things about Mexico, but not Mexico itself; itís truly a wonderful country.
There are good and bad parts of Mexico, just like anywhere else. My wife hates the Mexican government because they do nothing for the people. That's one reason so many flee to the US in hopes of something better. Unfortunately, most citizens of this country do not agree with illegal immigration, myself and my wife included. Before going off on a rant though, I'll let you know my wifes sister is NOT a US Citizen, and she is APPLYING to come to the US LEGALLY. I can respect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2007, 02:24 AM
 
Location: Cuernavaca, Mexico
180 posts, read 89,615 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
There are good and bad parts of Mexico, just like anywhere else. My wife hates the Mexican government because they do nothing for the people. That's one reason so many flee to the US in hopes of something better. Unfortunately, most citizens of this country do not agree with illegal immigration, myself and my wife included. Before going off on a rant though, I'll let you know my wifes sister is NOT a US Citizen, and she is APPLYING to come to the US LEGALLY. I can respect that.
You said your wife hates Mexico, not the Mexican government. I don’t think it’s unfortunate that most U.S. citizens disapprove of illegal immigration; it’s unfortunate that the U.S. government and big business have approved illegal immigration for decades; that’s why we’re all in this mess. Yes, your sister-in-law is doing things the right way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2007, 04:47 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 1,874,837 times
Reputation: 317
As our current laws against illegal immigration are enforced in more and more states, the quieter things will become IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top