U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2007, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Occupied Territory
354 posts, read 225,004 times
Reputation: 72

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
The rhetorical answer to this question by any red-blooded American is a reflexive "NO!"

But, hypothetically, if you owned a business, perhaps in manufacturing or the service industry, hiring illegals could be your financial salvation. Certainly paying lower wages would give you a competitive edge (assuming your competitors played by the rules) over the competition.

Would you be willing to let your business go bankrupt or would you hire illegal workers?

I would not even hire anyone if they could not speak English fairly fluently. PERIOD!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2007, 09:51 AM
 
1,484 posts, read 3,698,282 times
Reputation: 731
Default thats a joke

All buisness owners would hire them and they do it already. All they care about is money. Not actually I dont blame them as much as I do the government that is allowing it. They are only hiring these people because our government is letting them. It wont stop unless we have a turn around in government or a revolution or people start not shopping where they work. I try not to use their services whenever possible and know I am keen to the fact that if I call someone for a service, I want to know if they will prove to me if their staff is legal, so far no takers.....I will do my own landscaping thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
All buisness owners would hire them and they do it already. All they care about is money. Not actually I dont blame them as much as I do the government that is allowing it. They are only hiring these people because our government is letting them. It wont stop unless we have a turn around in government or a revolution or people start not shopping where they work. I try not to use their services whenever possible and know I am keen to the fact that if I call someone for a service, I want to know if they will prove to me if their staff is legal, so far no takers.....I will do my own landscaping thanks.

Dont lump us all in. We owned our own construction business, we refused to hire them. Closed the business. Now work for a company that goes to great lengths to not hire them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Cuernavaca, Mexico
180 posts, read 89,692 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Dont lump us all in. We owned our own construction business, we refused to hire them. Closed the business. Now work for a company that goes to great lengths to not hire them.
Nea1, this is very commendable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanGuy View Post
Nea1, this is very commendable.
Thanks, too bad we lost our rear in the deal. but life goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Cuernavaca, Mexico
180 posts, read 89,692 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Thanks, too bad we lost our rear in the deal. but life goes on.
Yeah, but you didn't lose your integrity, and that's worth a lot more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanGuy View Post
Yeah, but you didn't lose your integrity, and that's worth a lot more
Yes it is. I have my parents and grandparents to thank for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 12:24 PM
 
67 posts, read 207,504 times
Reputation: 65
Default xcellent wages-xcellent attitude-xcellent production-^in business

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
The rhetorical answer to this question by any red-blooded American is a reflexive "NO!"

But, hypothetically, if you owned a business, perhaps in manufacturing or the service industry, hiring illegals could be your financial salvation. Certainly paying lower wages would give you a competitive edge (assuming your competitors played by the rules) over the competition.

Would you be willing to let your business go bankrupt or would you hire illegal workers?
A suvery of 4thousand nursing homes revealed that in nursing homes where the nursing assistance were paid 10-12 dollars an hour the turnover rate was low, care was excellent meaning quality work on the part of the caregiver and those nursing homes actually had to add more beds or buy the other nursing homes who were going bankrupt because they paid low wages and were always being visited by state agency because of family member complaints.

I believe that if an employee is paid a liveable wage, that employee contributes to the economy which also stimulates business growth. This employee will purchase a house unassisted by the government which leaves more money for the government to repair infrastructure so that new businesses can raze up or start up.

If an employee is paid a low wage, that employee will contribute to the economy but is also elgible for foodstamps, mixused housing, free lunch, etc. So, the business owner is going to pay one way or the other. If that employee does purchase a home, its through a government assisted program and the history of those type loans show that these people tend to default within three years after their five year grace period.
So the solution: Hire at the best wage that you can afford and pray.

I believe that any employer with a conscious should think like this. An illegal worker could get hurt on the job. That worker will not go to the hospital in minor cases. Nor does that employer have a workman's comp plan for the employee. They work at their own risk. There are horror stories out there people.

I didn't have an opinion about undocumented workers(illegal aliens) one way or the other until I saw a twelve year old boy whose initial injury was a deep cut that had festered to include his entire leg. He is illegal but he is somebody's baby.

A power worker was standing near a window reading a meter when he smelled an odor inside of a house and reported it. This is how community health got to the scene. Then we discovered other such horror stories that were horror stories to us, but to them, it was just part of their completing whatever objective they have for the family at home in Mexico.

We are still paying for that. We can't deport him now. He can't work either.
His medical costs were very high and absorbed by the local tax payers through our property tax assessment this robs our schools of needed money.

Based on what I saw, all undocumented workers should be returned to their country until they could arrive legally and any american company hiring undocumented workers should be charged with felonious conspiracy to do body harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Midwest
6,739 posts, read 8,541,977 times
Reputation: 16512
No - I would not.

No one can even give me one good or valid reason to do so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top