U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,563 posts, read 15,774,500 times
Reputation: 6259

Advertisements

I don't know if this goes in illegal or legal forum. At any rate this really bothers me even more than the American born children of illegals. At least with the children of illegals who are settled here they do plan on staying in the USA.

These people however have no real allegiance to this country but just want their kids to travel to the USA if they want to. American citizenship should mean more than that.

CIS: Nearly 200,000 Children Born in U.S. to Temporary Foreign Visitors | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

Quote:
A new report by the Center for Immigration Studies finds that 200,000 children were born to women who were lawfully admitted to the United States on a temporary basis. These 200,000 children receive automatic citizenship to the United States despite the mother's allegiance to another nation. The Birthright Citizenship Act of 2011 (H.R.140) would end the practice of birthright citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2011, 03:34 AM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,948,309 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't know if this goes in illegal or legal forum. At any rate this really bothers me even more than the American born children of illegals. At least with the children of illegals who are settled here they do plan on staying in the USA.

These people however have no real allegiance to this country but just want their kids to travel to the USA if they want to. American citizenship should mean more than that.

CIS: Nearly 200,000 Children Born in U.S. to Temporary Foreign Visitors | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels
It's time to at the very least stop this so called birthright tourism. Anyone in the USA on a tourist visa should have no right to claim USC for their child if it's born here.

Whether or not they do anything about children of illegals born here, they should put a stop to this farce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 04:37 AM
 
Location: Dublin, CA
3,813 posts, read 3,530,139 times
Reputation: 3962
Yes, and this is just the tip of the iceburg. Now, of course all of us great loving Americans, don't want mommy seperated from her, now American Citizen. So, mommy gets to come here. Of course, we can't break up the family from back home, so: Husband, and the three other kids (did I mention grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, et al) get to come here and, live on our tax dime.

This country is doomed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 04:50 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes, and this is just the tip of the iceburg. Now, of course all of us great loving Americans, don't want mommy seperated from her, now American Citizen. So, mommy gets to come here. Of course, we can't break up the family from back home, so: Husband, and the three other kids (did I mention grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, et al) get to come here and, live on our tax dime.

This country is doomed...
And you know what the worst part is? The GOP doesn't have the pair to end this. They are in bed with it as much as the Democrats are. We would have seen action on this a LONG TIME AGO if the GOP was truly serious about it.

And of course those babies and newly admitted families will then flood to states like California and New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 05:49 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't know if this goes in illegal or legal forum. At any rate this really bothers me even more than the American born children of illegals. At least with the children of illegals who are settled here they do plan on staying in the USA.

These people however have no real allegiance to this country but just want their kids to travel to the USA if they want to. American citizenship should mean more than that.

CIS: Nearly 200,000 Children Born in U.S. to Temporary Foreign Visitors | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels
Im sure the actual quanity of foreign visitors having children in the US may do little to do with alleviating your concerns, but I have to ask, Is this a problem wide spread enough to warrant amending the US Constitution?

Is it your concern, that these US citizen children reared in a foreign country, are a threat to the security of our nation? Is there any evidence that a US citizen reared abroad, has ever attempted to caused harm to the US government or people in an act of terrorism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 06:13 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Im sure the actual quanity of foreign visitors having children in the US may do little to do with alleviating your concerns, but I have to ask, Is this a problem wide spread enough to warrant amending the US Constitution?

Is it your concern, that these US citizen children reared in a foreign country, are a threat to the security of our nation? Is there any evidence that a US citizen reared abroad, has ever attempted to caused harm to the US government or people in an act of terrorism?
He didn't mention anything related to national security, so why bother asking this?

I'm for amending the U.S. constitution so that the concept is jus soli is completely removed and that for a child to be born a citizen, the father must be an American married to the woman giving birth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 06:38 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
He didn't mention anything related to national security, so why bother asking this?

I'm for amending the U.S. constitution so that the concept is jus soli is completely removed and that for a child to be born a citizen, the father must be an American married to the woman giving birth

Quote:
These people however have no real allegiance to this country but just want their kids to travel to the USA if they want to.
Your right...maybe I was injecting a more important reason to amend our constitution than visitation rights...."just want their kids to travel to the USA".

But I guess that reason is better than no reason at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And you know what the worst part is? The GOP doesn't have the pair to end this. They are in bed with it as much as the Democrats are. We would have seen action on this a LONG TIME AGO if the GOP was truly serious about it.

And of course those babies and newly admitted families will then flood to states like California and New York.
I disagree. It is the Republicans who are pushing legislation to end birthright citizenship as we speak. Yes, it should have been pushed long ago and both parties are guilty of not doing so but at least the Republicans are trying now. It will be met with much objection by the Democrats, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 06:56 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Im sure the actual quanity of foreign visitors having children in the US may do little to do with alleviating your concerns, but I have to ask, Is this a problem wide spread enough to warrant amending the US Constitution?

Is it your concern, that these US citizen children reared in a foreign country, are a threat to the security of our nation? Is there any evidence that a US citizen reared abroad, has ever attempted to caused harm to the US government or people in an act of terrorism?
Once a foreigner gives birth in our country they are entitled to all kinds of tax benefits for them and that is the main problem, not terrorism. It is a wide spread problem both by birth tourism and illegal immigration. If the parents don't hold allegience, citizenship or legal residence in our country then their offspring born here should hold the same citizenship as their parents do. We are giving away our citizenship like candy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 07:01 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
He didn't mention anything related to national security, so why bother asking this?

I'm for amending the U.S. constitution so that the concept is jus soli is completely removed and that for a child to be born a citizen, the father must be an American married to the woman giving birth
I would rather it be the mother who has to be a citizen for the newborn to qualify for instant citizenship. Just a difference of opinion I guess but the qualifier should be that at least one parent be a citizen of this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top