Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 05:34 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times

Advertisements

I knew this would happen. If lierals are successful in repealing DOMA watch for a spike in immigration.

N.Y. Couple Spared Deportation* | News | The Advocate

FYI this is a gay publication and the ads seem to be a little risque so may not be appropriate for work viewing.
Quote:
Government attorneys have agreed to suspend deportation proceedings in the case of a binational lesbian couple in New York pending their marriage-based immigration case.

Monica Alcota and Cristina Ojeda of Queens are the first married LGBT couple to argue in court that a pending deportation should be terminated since the Obama administration’s February announcement that it would no longer defend section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, according to their attorney. Alcota, a citizen of Argentina, wed her American wife last year in Connecticut but has continued to face removal proceedings.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,053 times
Australia allows legal immigration for defacto (commonlaw) couples and gay couples unlike the USA which insists you not only be married but hetrosexual to be eligible for a spousal visa.

This story however is about a couple one of whom is here in the USA illegally and who can't gain adjustment of status legally, regardless of sexual orientation.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:14 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I knew this would happen. If lierals are successful in repealing DOMA watch for a spike in immigration.

N.Y. Couple Spared Deportation* | News | The Advocate

FYI this is a gay publication and the ads seem to be a little risque so may not be appropriate for work viewing.

So straight 50 year old men can take "romance tours" to Colombia and Thailand and find a 19 year old girl to bring back to the US and marry, but it's a problem for committed gay couples to stay together?

This isn't about illegal immigration, since marriage is a LEGAL way to immigrate to the United States.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:46 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,558,654 times
I didn’t click this link, but I read another article. The article I read didn’t indicate her immigration status. But, I assume she is here illegally due to her deportation order. If she is in the country illegally, to my knowledge, she cannot change her status through marriage, so I fail to see the relevance of DOMA in this particular case. How can they stay her deportation on the basis of marriage, without doing the same for heterosexual couples?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:23 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I didn’t click this link, but I read another article. The article I read didn’t indicate her immigration status. But, I assume she is here illegally due to her deportation order. If she is in the country illegally, to my knowledge, she cannot change her status through marriage, so I fail to see the relevance of DOMA in this particular case. How can they stay her deportation on the basis of marriage, without doing the same for heterosexual couples?
She can be sponsored for citizenship as a immediate relative [wife/husband] ...if her spouse is a USC.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
So straight 50 year old men can take "romance tours" to Colombia and Thailand and find a 19 year old girl to bring back to the US and marry, but it's a problem for committed gay couples to stay together?

This isn't about illegal immigration, since marriage is a LEGAL way to immigrate to the United States.
Most are really looking for way younger than that...romance tours my ass.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Even if she was hetrosexual, the ONLY way someone here illegally can apply to adjust status based on Marriage to a USC is if they are here as an overstay. If they EWI (entered without inspection) they cannot ever adjust status while in the country.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
She can be sponsored for citizenship as a immediate relative [wife/husband] ...if her spouse is a USC.
ONLY if she entered the country legally, and the USA doesn't recognise gay marriage for the purposes of immigration, sorry.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:55 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

It is because the foreigners will now claim to be gay to trick these gay Americans into bringing them here. Another avenue for yet more immigration.

Besides the people have spoken and have enacted laws against federal recognition of gay marriage. The high court has not invalidated it. So Obama needs to enforce the law and deport this illegal.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It is because the foreigners will now claim to be gay to trick these gay Americans into bringing them here. Another avenue for yet more immigration.

Besides the people have spoken and have enacted laws against federal recognition of gay marriage. The high court has not invalidated it. So Obama needs to enforce the law and deport this illegal.

.... I don't think you have to worry about that, lol. Kinda hard to "pretend" to be gay. You DO realize there's a fairly stringent process and a lot of work that goes into marriage immigration?

In the future (as the old people and their old mentalities die off), when gay marriage is no longer an issue, there WILL be citizenship via gay marriage, and that's okay, because straight people have had it forever. Is it abused? Sometimes. But, in the grand scheme is it even on the radar when the vast majority of illegals simply hop over the border and just "stay"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration