Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:24 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Because it annoys me to see threads about people who boycott certain Companies because they hire illegals or because people have posted complaints about them on websites like "wehireillegals.com" or something similar, when it is literally impossible with the current system in place to avoid hiring illegals. You can do everything right and you're still going to end up hiring illegals unknowingly.

Rick Roma that is what I'm talking about. All Companies I've worked with have had those processes in place and still end up terminating employees later after it is found they were working with somebody else's documents. In other words, they still ended up hiring illegal employees. People on here just need to accept that it is inevitable with our current flawed systems.
I would not boycott any company unless it had been proven in a court of law that they "knowingly" hired illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,558,654 times
Quote:
Because it annoys me to see threads about people who boycott certain Companies because they hire illegals or because people have posted complaints about them on websites like "wehireillegals.com" or something similar, when it is literally impossible with the current system in place to avoid hiring illegals. You can do everything right and you're still going to end up hiring illegals unknowingly.

Rick Roma that is what I'm talking about. All Companies I've worked with have had those processes in place and still end up terminating employees later after it is found they were working with somebody else's documents. In other words, they still ended up hiring illegal employees. People on here just need to accept that it is inevitable with our current flawed systems.
I have no doubt that many employers diligently strive to comply with the law. However, there are also countless employers who knowingly and willfully employ illegal aliens, and I would have no problem boycotting, or celebrating their collapse.

Obviously, we are damned if we do, and damned if we don’t. I wish I had a hundred bucks for every pro-illegal who has come to this forum and accused us of giving illegal employers a free pass. Then, if we suggest a boycott or any other measure, we are unfairly targeting employers. You can’t have it both ways.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
I agree that knowingly hiring illegals is unacceptable but I don't understand how you are able to distinguish which companies are doing this and which go through all the correct steps but end up with alot of illegals anyways because they happen to be in an industry that requires high amounts of low-education manual labor. What I'm trying to get at is "Don't hate the playa, hate the game" if you catch my drift.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:59 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,055 times
What does "don't hate the playa, hate the game" have to do with companies knowingly hiring illegals?

It's not a game, it's a crime.

There are resources available to employers so they don't hire illegals, if they would ONLY use them.

I have heard commercials on the radio this month for E-verify so I know it's available now.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
I wont speak for all corporations.
I work for one of the largest.
When I got hired.
I needed the following.
Photo ID, SSN, Hs diploma, If claiming to be a vet copy of DD214.
I also needed to pass an English literacy test as well as aptitude tests.
Is it fool proof? No because dishonest people will always find a way to cheat even the best systems. But it will eliminate the majority.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,131,933 times
There's no excuse for a company to hire illegals, unless they are a small firm with no HR department and were given really good fake identification documents. The real problem that neither I9 nor E-Verify nor tighter laws will fix is the illegals being paid under the table. There is no money for hiring people to go out and look for them in people's homes. I'm talking about nannies, home gardeners, and those day laborers that line up along the entrance to Home Depot. They are not hired by big companies but by ordinary citizens.

When boycotting a company that has been found to hire illegals, you are not likely to hurt them enough to make much difference, there are just not enough people interested in such a boycot. Any difference in sales will simply be offset by their savings in payroll by not having to pay or replace the busted workers.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:10 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,558,654 times
Quote:
I agree that knowingly hiring illegals is unacceptable but I don't understand how you are able to distinguish which companies are doing this and which go through all the correct steps but end up with alot of illegals anyways because they happen to be in an industry that requires high amounts of low-education manual labor. What I'm trying to get at is "Don't hate the playa, hate the game" if you catch my drift.
I certainly do “catch your drift,” as well as your flippant attitude regarding a very important issue, which, if not soon resolved, will most assuredly be a major factor in the ultimate destruction of our country. It’s sad that some find humor and frivolity in such a volatile and divisive issue.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 PM

I find humor in it because it's a joke how easy it is to get a job pretty much anywhere with a stolen ID or fraudulent docs. It's also a joke that people on here claim that they don't hire any illegal immigrants. Try running a custodial service, agricultural company, meat packing plant or restaurant in this country without running into these issues. Guaranteed that somewhere down the road you'll be surprised to find out that your meat packer Juan Cervantes from Mexico is actually Miguel Gomez from El Salvador and working with stolen ID docs. At that point you will want to take your E-verify and throw it in the garbage....friggin' worthless.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Bottom line, do the crime, pay the fine and do the time. It's up to you.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Bottom line, do the crime, pay the fine and do the time. It's up to you.
Or do everything the government tells you and still end up hiring tons of illegal immigrants. There is no choice in the matter...except to push the paper like the gov't tells you to and end up with the exact same result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration