Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
March 15, 2011

Dear Senator Russell Pearce,

I am compelled to write to you about a recent event that occurred to me. I currently work as a substitute teacher in the west valley areas of Phoenix, Glendale, and Peoria. I was called upon to teach history and language arts for 8th grade at a Glendale public school. The number of students I had in each class ranged from 28 to 38 children, which were almost all Hispanic and a couple of Black children. The day started out as usual turning on the television listening and watching the announcements and saying the Pledge of Allegiance. During the Pledge of Allegiance I notice the vast majority of students refusing to stand and say the pledge. I asked the students why they refused to say the Pledge of Allegiance and they responded by saying, "we are Mexicans and Americans stole our land."
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection, read the tos
Teacher's letter to Sen. Russell Pearce

From what I've read over the past ten years, and from former LAUSD teachers I've spoken with, this seems just about par for the course.

Last edited by Yac; 03-24-2011 at 04:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 04:02 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,949 times
Quote:
I provided the students with paper and pencils only to have them wade-up the paper and throw it at each other along with their pencils
I'm a terrible speller...but I'm not a substitute "Teacher"...

Quote:
I asked the class if America adopted Mexico immigration laws would Americans still be consider racist?
How can you ask a classroom of student about a subject that was not taught in class? Does learning come though osmosis? How would the students know of Mexico's Immigration policies, or America's for that matter; and be able to compare the two?

Questions are ask in relation to the subject matter studied.

Quote:
That question they could not answer and called me a racist for asking it. I mentioned that my wife and children are Hispanic so how could I be racist?
The only fault I have with these students, is that they incorrectly used the term "racist" for the correct trem "idiot"...

If this person was a true Educator, he would have engauged the students on their Ideas and and used this opportunity to "teach" alternatives ideas; what true educators call..."a teaching moment".

Teaching moment- " ...to help students learn more about goal setting, responsibility, making better decisions, respect, determination, setting priorities, minimizing excuses and learning how to take action on their dreams.".

Quote:
I have found that substitute teaching in these areas most of the Hispanic students do not want to be educated but rather be gang members and gangsters. They hate America and are determined to reclaim this area for Mexico. If we are able to remove the illegals out of our schools, the class sizes would be reduced and the students who wanted to learn would have a better chance to do so and become productive citizens.
No student comes to class with an inherited knowledge. Education is the funtion of the school and the task of the teacher. It is inconceivible that an "Educator" would dismiss a group of students as "uneducatable".

Speaks volumes on why this person is a "substitute teacher"[if that] and not a real Teacher.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:16 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post

How can you ask a classroom of student about a subject that was not taught in class? Does learning come though osmosis? How would the students know of Mexico's Immigration policies, or America's for that matter; and be able to compare the two?

The only fault I have with these students, is that they incorrectly used the term "racist" for the correct trem "idiot"...

If this person was a true Educator, he would have engauged the students on their Ideas and and used this opportunity to "teach" alternatives ideas; what true educators call..."a teaching moment".

Teaching moment- " ...to help students learn more about goal setting, responsibility, making better decisions, respect, determination, setting priorities, minimizing excuses and learning how to take action on their dreams.".

No student comes to class with an inherited knowledge. Education is the funtion of the school and the task of the teacher. It is inconceivible that an "Educator" would dismiss a group of students as "uneducatable".

Speaks volumes on why this person is a "substitute teacher"[if that] and not a real Teacher.

Why are you attacking the teacher, when the real antagonist in the story is whatever it *is* about Mexican culture these days that is instilling these racist, historically inaccurate and aggressive attitudes in their children? When stupidity, racism and ignorance is identified in greater American culture, we're expected to call it what it is, and work to eradicate it. So far, however, I have yet to hear an intelligent "immigration activist" admit this perspective identified by the teachers is a) WRONG, b) makes Mexican immigrants look like invaders chasing windmills and pipe dreams that will never materialize. You cannot deny that this "revisionist history" is a VERY popular point of view among many (not all, of course... this perspective seems to fade with generations) Mexicans who think they're oppressed peoples taking on the evil racist Americans.... even if they choose to never talk about it publicly!

Why is that? Thank god not all Hispanics share this peculiarly Mexican point of view.

That is the problem. Not the teacher. Obviously these children live in a bubble. We'll call it Aztlan-land. How successful will these students be if this is how they view living in the United States? Why would Americans of other races and ethnicities EVER accept these students or want to welcome them into society? After all, how many Chiapas indios can REALLY lay claim to being one of the 9% of Mexican-Americans who can trace their heritage to the changeover in power from Mom Spain to Mexico to the United States?

How will those who apologize for unchecked illegal immigration gain supporters and sympathy if this is the attitude being instilled in Mexican children (a unique point of view peculiar to Mexicans in the SE, I might add, making their treatment and acceptance more difficult among the greater populace). Is it that "Chicano activists" just don't care? Would they be PROUD of the shining ignorance and blatant disrespect shown by these high school students? You say students don't come to school with "inherited knowledge," but that is of course false. Since it's not (or SHOULDN'T be) taught in American schools that America "stole" Mexican land, and since Haitian immigrants in SE Florida schools don't seem to hold that same perspective, one can assume that history lesson is being taught "in the community"!

If "activists" put 1/10th the energy into lifting up the children of their community from the bottom up, as opposed to solidifying political power, these kids would be well on their way to successful lives. With this attitude and perspective, however, these students are on their way to be the gum on the sole of society's shoes, and will be dealt with accordingly.

Last edited by TriMT7; 03-24-2011 at 06:26 AM..

Old 03-24-2011, 06:23 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,372,847 times
Not all hispanics are mexicans. Granted, there are plenty of them but not all of them. You might want to exchange "hispanic" for mexican or mexican-american.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:

Education is every bit as much the task of the parent. The problem with the freeloaders is not only do they fail to build schools in their own countries, they fail to properly prepare their children for school and for learning.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:15 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:

Why are you assuming they had no instruction on the subject matter? Did you even consider the possibility that the students had been previously taught the immigration laws of Mexico, or that the substitute may have read the laws to the class prior to posing the question? Obviously, the subject of illegal immigration had been broached by their teacher, given that they were instructed to submit their final draft of their 'thank-you' letters to a senator for his position in support of illegal immigration.

What actually speaks volumes is the remark I bolded in your post. The fact that the ONLY problem you have with the students is their use of the word racist, as opposed to your preference of idiot, implies endorsement, which is a very telling indicator of your own belief system. This is precisely why the illegal immigration debate is so infused with vitriol.

These Mexican illegal alien students are being indoctrinated to hate, in particular, citizens who dare oppose illegal immigration. How does that benefit this country? Moreover, why would we want to embrace such hatred and insolence, especially from people who flout our laws, and have no legal right to even be here?

How anyone can promote this, is way beyond my realm of comprehension. . .

Quote:
The students' final drafts that I read were basically the same. Most of them stated they were in the country illegally, White Americans are racist, and that they came here for a better life. I asked the class if America adopted Mexico immigration laws would Americans still be consider racist?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Education is every bit as much the task of the parent. The problem with the freeloaders is not only do they fail to build schools in their own countries, they fail to properly prepare their children for school and for learning.
Thanks for stating the obvious, but I believe this story was about the classroom...not education in the home.

Quote:
they fail to properly prepare their children for school and for learning

and its clear that the person who wrote this story did the same...

Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Thanks for stating the obvious, but I believe this story was about the classroom...not education in the home.

and its clear that the person who wrote this story did the same...
You must be unfamiliar with the fact that education BEGINS at home.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You must be unfamiliar with the fact that education BEGINS at home.
what about my last post did not convey that...

EDUCATION BEGINS IN THE HOME...

I will re re-state the obvious.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
what about my last post did not convey that...

EDUCATION BEGINS IN THE HOME...

I will re re-state the obvious.

I know kids like to test the sub, kids tested the sub when I was in school, but this doesn't have anything to do with giving the sub a hard time. The students the substitute teacher is writing about have not had any education in the home except for Aztlan indoctrination.

How can a child brainwashed by that drivvle be expected to learn anything?

Those kids are not supposed to be here in the first place and they prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration