Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:58 PM

93 posts, read 138,875 times

Advertisements

Like many others in NM i am Spanish (spanish descent). Im sick of people thinking that all hispanics are the same and im sick of people thinking that i or my family are or once were illegal. When i speak to people who do not know the difference i have to explain the difference between our Spanish New Mexican culture and Mexican culture. This actually happens pretty often. I am 100% against illegal immigration and the majority of other New Mexicans that i know are too. Now that there is so much going onwith illegal immigration i have realized how many hispanics are againts illegals. I feel that illegals have completely given all hispanics a bad name and reputation. How do ou feel? Please feel free to share your stories. P.S. Do you have any other ways to explain to people about our culture etc.?

Old 03-28-2011, 06:57 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
I feel this is a can of worms.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,528 times
I would think that the sizable New Mexican Indian population would be more at risk of being called "illegal," based on their physical characteristics, than people of Spanish descent.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:11 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,428 times
I am Spanish (of Spanish descent) and no one has ever mistaken me for an illegal immigrant. My family roots run deep in NM and AZ, and I don't think any of us - even the elders who barely speak English - have ever been mistaken for an illegal immigrant. We all have brown hair and fair skin, and some of us have blue eyes while others have brown eyes. We don't really look Mexican at all IMO. This is nothing against people from Mexico, I am just saying that Spanish and Mexican are two very different groups in terms of physical characteristics.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
I am Spanish (of Spanish descent) and no one has ever mistaken me for an illegal immigrant. My family roots run deep in NM and AZ, and I don't think any of us - even the elders who barely speak English - have ever been mistaken for an illegal immigrant. We all have brown hair and fair skin, and some of us have blue eyes while others have brown eyes. We don't really look Mexican at all IMO. This is nothing against people from Mexico, I am just saying that Spanish and Mexican are two very different groups in terms of physical characteristics.
Mexicans are not a racial or genetically defined ethnic group, as Spaniards (or Castilians) are. Mexicans are a national group, with millions of ethnic Spaniards among the upper class.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
I would think that the sizable New Mexican Indian population would be more at risk of being called "illegal," based on their physical characteristics, than people of Spanish descent.
"Mexicans are not a racial or genetically defined ethnic group, as Spaniards (or Castilians) are. Mexicans are a national group, with millions of ethnic Spaniards among the upper class." -Agnapostate

Old 03-28-2011, 08:53 PM

Old 03-28-2011, 09:42 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
I do not have a drop of Spanish blood in me and was accused of being an illegal by a woman working at the DMV here. Guess she must of thought I was from Canada. LOL

Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 PM

lol, now thats funny. i feel your pain *wipes away tear and opens arms......j/k

Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 PM

well here at home i havnt either but when we went to Cali last year on vacay some white people (no offense, dont know another term) made various comments. matbe it was just cuz we were hispanic and the spanish accent doesnt help.
And while visiting my half sis in Florida who is white and married to a black man. He and other friends assumed i was mexican cuz im from NM and thought that my family had once crossed the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration