U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 04-23-2010, 04:08 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 2,219,056 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Studies have shown that 10% of the total workforce of the great State of Arizona are illegal aliens. That is alot of workers and would be hard to replace. I hate the illegals as much as anyone but wonder how places like Arizona would handle losing 10% of their work force if the government actually did crack down on illegal immigration.

I suspect that restaurants, retail, manufacturing, landscaping and construction companies would really suffer with at least 40% of their current workforce being illegal.

Please give sincere advance to the Arizona business community.
I would not believe the number but a few days ago it was reported that a Major Grocery store fired 300 workers in fear that this new law would have them in hot water. 300 freaking workers? 7-8 slipped by, well we messed up, but 300!
Damn Arizona, you cry for help, but you all are shooting yourselves in the foot.

Have the people of Arizona follow the laws before they ask for new ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 04-23-2010, 04:47 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 5,289,286 times
Reputation: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I would not believe the number but a few days ago it was reported that a Major Grocery store fired 300 workers in fear that this new law would have them in hot water. 300 freaking workers? 7-8 slipped by, well we messed up, but 300!
Damn Arizona, you cry for help, but you all are shooting yourselves in the foot.

Have the people of Arizona follow the laws before they ask for new ones.
The crooked employers do not represent the bulk of Arizona citizens so don't blame the majority of the people of Arizona for their crimes. That is precisely why the law abiding Arizonians wanted this bill to pass so that neither the employers nor the illegals can get away with their lawlessness anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-23-2010, 04:48 PM
 
Location: San Diego
16,196 posts, read 11,510,184 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Studies have shown that 10% of the total workforce of the great State of Arizona are illegal aliens. That is alot of workers and would be hard to replace. I hate the illegals as much as anyone but wonder how places like Arizona would handle losing 10% of their work force if the government actually did crack down on illegal immigration.

I suspect that restaurants, retail, manufacturing, landscaping and construction companies would really suffer with at least 40% of their current workforce being illegal.

Please give sincere advance to the Arizona business community.
10% Illegal Aliens, 10-12% unemployment. Pretty easy math. Kick out the Illegals and these illegal businesses will have to deal with the existing labor pool at a much higher wage, maybe even min wage

The Illegals are actually making the equivalent of HUGE money compared to what they were making at home. They can work for a few years, move back , build a house and retire. The people being exploited are the ones competing with this labor imbalance that actually live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-23-2010, 04:55 PM
 
8,262 posts, read 1,912,433 times
Reputation: 1919
10%?
It should be zero %.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-23-2010, 06:45 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 2,219,056 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The crooked employers do not represent the bulk of Arizona citizens so don't blame the majority of the people of Arizona for their crimes. That is precisely why the law abiding Arizonians wanted this bill to pass so that neither the employers nor the illegals can get away with their lawlessness anymore.
the piece said 10% of workers are undocumented...someone is hiring them, this seems to be a Arizona thing, cheap labor...its Arizona's right.
300 workers in one chain, come on.

Arizona cant have a sign saying Trabajo Aqui(work here), and have another sign saying No Tresspassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:50 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 5,289,286 times
Reputation: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
the piece said 10% of workers are undocumented...someone is hiring them, this seems to be a Arizona thing, cheap labor...its Arizona's right.
300 workers in one chain, come on.

Arizona cant have a sign saying Trabajo Aqui(work here), and have another sign saying No Tresspassing.
There are employers all over the country hiring illegal aliens so no, it isn't just an Arizona thing and as I said those Arizona employers do not represent Arizona as a whole society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-24-2010, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Arizona
2,452 posts, read 204,414 times
Reputation: 1065
Originally Posted by MexicanGuy
You have the right to express your views on Mexico’s immigration policy, and I have the right to express mine regarding the United States’. The difference is that I criticize and attack the United States government’s deceitful stance on illegal immigration, which is aimed at helping big business exploit illegal workers; I don’t attack the American people, not even those who have small businesses or farms and hire illegal workers, because I know that they aren’t really responsible for this whole mess; like the illegal immigrants, many of them are simply caught up in all of it. The only Americans I attack are those who promote hatred and xenophobia, instead of addressing the root causes of this problem.


***If I go to Mexico and decide to extend my stay longer than 6 months I am required to get an FM3 Visa to stay as I am considered living there. Not easy to get, requires income documentation, passport, birth certificate, passport photos.

Ok there but not in the USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-24-2010, 11:00 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 2,219,056 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There are employers all over the country hiring illegal aliens so no, it isn't just an Arizona thing and as I said those Arizona employers do not represent Arizona as a whole society.
the piece said 10% of the workers were undocumented in Arizona, it didnt say that 10% of the Az businesses were hiring UAs ...that number could be way higher. could be above 50%, but I bet its higher than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-24-2010, 03:47 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 5,289,286 times
Reputation: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
the piece said 10% of the workers were undocumented in Arizona, it didnt say that 10% of the Az businesses were hiring UAs ...that number could be way higher. could be above 50%, but I bet its higher than that.
Either way, those employers do not represent the majority of Arizonians in regards to unlawfullness. Same goes for every state in the union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-24-2010, 07:46 PM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
4,959 posts, read 8,718,253 times
Reputation: 3568
Getting away from Az for a minute.

In Calif there is a Groc chain that had mostly Hispanics working at this one store I always went too.

One employee came up to my car and asked... "speak Spanish?"... I answered "little in Spanish".

He then rattled off what he wanted to know in Spanish re a car modification I had on my car and where he could get the same parts for his sons car. I answered him the best I could with my limited Spanish.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. This store that had many Hispanics working had changed ownership and now were employing all whites from what I saw inside...no more of the workers conversing in Spanish in front of the customers as was the par in the past. This chain store is always crowded with customers and does a fabulous business. I was in the Groc trade for 23 yrs so know the ins and outs.

Goes to show what can and should be done re employees.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top