U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:35 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/federal-auditor-border-patrol-can-stop-i
(CNSNews.com) - Richard M. Stana, director of homeland security and
justice issues at the Government Accountability Office (which is
responsible for auditing agency operations to determine whether federal
funds are being spent efficiently and effectively ), told the Senate
Homeland Security Committee yesterday that the federal government can
actually prevent or stop illegal entries into the United States along
only 129 miles of the 1,954-mile-long U.S.-Mexico border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 12:40 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,932,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/federal-auditor-border-patrol-can-stop-i
(CNSNews.com) - Richard M. Stana, director of homeland security and
justice issues at the Government Accountability Office (which is
responsible for auditing agency operations to determine whether federal
funds are being spent efficiently and effectively ), told the Senate
Homeland Security Committee yesterday that the federal government can
actually prevent or stop illegal entries into the United States along
only 129 miles of the 1,954-mile-long U.S.-Mexico border.
Chicagonut, you ever been in the remote areas where the Border Patrol works? It's alittle more involved than Mr. Stana makes it out to be.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:52 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Chicagonut, you ever been in the remote areas where the Border Patrol works? It's alittle more involved than Mr. Stana makes it out to be.
Not really. Most illegals actually cross right at the official points of entry or under the bridges where they could easily be spotted.

The cartels control the illegal laser visa sales, these visas are not actually sold to the illegals but "rented out" so they can cross over but they have to turn them back in once they are in the USA - these criminal organizations control both sides of the border.

When certain agents come on duty, there are coyotes - a kind of coyote that takes the groups of waiting illegals to the points of entry under the bridges. These coyotes don't need to cross over or do anything but guide them to the place when the right time has come. That's all there is too it.

Since these places are right in the middle of town, the illegals are then told to disperse and go off in different directions, many to a near by fast food place where they meet up with the "rides". Or they walk or catch a bus to the Mexican bus terminals where they can get a ride to Los Angeles, Denver. Or they have arrangements made to be picked up a few blocks after the buses leave the terminals because once in a while there are border agents checking who boards these buses at the terminals. That's not much of a problem though because the bus can just stop one more time a couple blocks away to pick up the other riders.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not really. Most illegals actually cross right at the official points of entry or under the bridges where they could easily be spotted.

The cartels control the illegal laser visa sales, these visas are not actually sold to the illegals but "rented out" so they can cross over but they have to turn them back in once they are in the USA - these criminal organizations control both sides of the border.

When certain agents come on duty, there are coyotes - a kind of coyote that takes the groups of waiting illegals to the points of entry under the bridges. These coyotes don't need to cross over or do anything but guide them to the place when the right time has come. That's all there is too it.

Since these places are right in the middle of town, the illegals are then told to disperse and go off in different directions, many to a near by fast food place where they meet up with the "rides". Or they walk or catch a bus to the Mexican bus terminals where they can get a ride to Los Angeles, Denver. Or they have arrangements made to be picked up a few blocks after the buses leave the terminals because once in a while there are border agents checking who boards these buses at the terminals. That's not much of a problem though because the bus can just stop one more time a couple blocks away to pick up the other riders.
You are a customs agent or border patrol so you can say this with all certainty? In essence you are accusing these officials of turning their heads or being dirty officers. BTW I have lived on the US/Mexico border for 44 yrs so I am pretty aware of what goes on. And this article was not correct, I have it on excellent authority.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:39 PM

847 posts, read 782,284 times
American Patrol Report -- Citizenship - Sovereignty - Law

Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You are a customs agent or border patrol so you can say this with all certainty? In essence you are accusing these officials of turning their heads or being dirty officers. BTW I have lived on the US/Mexico border for 44 yrs so I am pretty aware of what goes on. And this article was not correct, I have it on excellent authority.
Okay - how do you suppose the illegals are told they have to wait until the right time and then they are taken to a point at the Free Bridge (under and alongside it) where they cross over easily? In daylight?

How would the women guiding them to this place and having them wait and taking anywhere from $600 to $1000 for each crosser, know when the right time is? They know when the agents are going to be on the other side and won't notice dozens of people coming right on over? I think we can both figure out these women aren't just good guessers.

There are also tunnels and entry points into the sewers.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Okay - how do you suppose the illegals are told they have to wait until the right time and then they are taken to a point at the Free Bridge (under and alongside it) where they cross over easily? In daylight?

How would the women guiding them to this place and having them wait and taking anywhere from $600 to $1000 for each crosser, know when the right time is? They know when the agents are going to be on the other side and won't notice dozens of people coming right on over? I think we can both figure out these women aren't just good guessers.

There are also tunnels and entry points into the sewers.

How do you know the illegals are told a particular place to wait? You read it in the paper, you work with a group that helps illegals????? That is what I want to know, where are you getting your info from?

So the sentence I highlighted proves the agents are dirty?

Old 04-03-2011, 03:07 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,959,982 times
IMHO malamute is taking pieces of truth and extrapolating too much. In the El Paso Sector, yes, a couple of corrupt border guards have been arrested and there was 1 tunnel found near the Bridge of the Americas (known locally as the free bridge). The tunnel connected an open drain on one side to an open drain on the other. In the 1990's you could see people blatantly crossing the river in daylight but I haven't seen anything in recent years. Yes, illegals do wait on the Mexican side until there is a gap in patrols but this is opportunity based not because of corrupt guards. The new border fence and more agents have dramatically reduced illegal crossings. Apprehensions are down as well as rescues and drownings in the parallel fast moving canal and also fewer pedestrian accidents and deaths on the adjacent border highway. I believe they get through the border fence by cutting (but a heavier mesh is now used) and by weak points- mainly gates where agents can access either side. The biometric laser visas are not easy to forge - they have photo and fingerprint - and smugglers try to match lost & stolen cards to similar looking migrants. In the 1990's Juarez drug lord Fuentes ran an international trucking company who's trucks were seldom searched - but times have changed and enforcement and checks are up. People and drugs still get through but the flow has been drastically reduced in recent years.

In 2008 this getup was found under the free bridge:
Illegal Immigrant Found Stranded on Makeshift Cart Under El Paso Border Bridge - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
(click on the two grahics)

Old 04-03-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
How do you know the illegals are told a particular place to wait? You read it in the paper, you work with a group that helps illegals????? That is what I want to know, where are you getting your info from?

So the sentence I highlighted proves the agents are dirty?
Put it this way, I know illegals - I'm sure just about everyone in El Paso knows some illegals, how could they not? And no - I would not help illegals. Many of my neighbors are here illegally or they stay and work here illegally but have shopping passes.

It's not as open in the past where you could actually see the illegals coming over on rafts - when they paid $0.50 just to be taken over on a blow-up raft downtown but they still make it over quite easily - it's not $0.50 any more, but if you have $600, it's easy.

One of my former neighbors is having trouble getting over, he was deported for selling pot, and is still in Juarez trying to scrape the money together so I know it's more difficult unless you have the money to pay them. Those that do get over easily. I know that with all certainty.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
IMHO malamute is taking pieces of truth and extrapolating too much. In the El Paso Sector, yes, a couple of corrupt border guards have been arrested and there was 1 tunnel found near the Bridge of the Americas (known locally as the free bridge). The tunnel connected an open drain on one side to an open drain on the other. In the 1990's you could see people blatantly crossing the river in daylight but I haven't seen anything in recent years. Yes, illegals do wait on the Mexican side until there is a gap in patrols but this is opportunity based not because of corrupt guards. The new border fence and more agents have dramatically reduced illegal crossings. Apprehensions are down as well as rescues and drownings in the parallel fast moving canal and also fewer pedestrian accidents and deaths on the adjacent border highway. I believe they get through the border fence by cutting (but a heavier mesh is now used) and by weak points- mainly gates where agents can access either side. The biometric laser visas are not easy to forge - they have photo and fingerprint - and smugglers try to match lost & stolen cards to similar looking migrants. In the 1990's Juarez drug lord Fuentes ran an international trucking company who's trucks were seldom searched - but times have changed and enforcement and checks are up. People and drugs still get through but the flow has been drastically reduced in recent years.

In 2008 this getup was found under the free bridge:
Illegal Immigrant Found Stranded on Makeshift Cart Under El Paso Border Bridge - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
(click on the two grahics)
Go check under the Free Bridge. There's a place there that they can come in, just walk on in. Now you wouldn't think that would be a good crossing area but it is.

Also I'll believe the import of drugs is down when we read of addicts being desperate for drugs, and you know as well as I know that some big loads of drugs have been found in El Paso, which means they made it into El Paso. That's because many police are honest and if they happen to apprehend someone after they've made it over and with their load of drugs, they arrest them but it also means those big loads are still getting over the border with no problem.

Also the cartels will quit fighting over Juarez when it's not a great drug and other illegal activity portal. It appears there is still an all-out war between the cartels over Juarez and that means it's still the border port into the USA still most coveted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration