Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:49 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times

Advertisements

Are you conservatives going to disagree with him on this? I find it funny how conservatives cry for free market capitalism but want to put restrictions on immigration. The free movement of people is of free market economics.

YouTube - Milton Friedman - Illegal Immigration - PT 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 07:10 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Greed always disregards respect for LAW

Old 03-31-2011, 07:49 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Greed always disregards respect for LAW
Those that believe in an "open border" economy dont avocate braking laws to acomplish this, they call for policies and laws that allow and promote this.

Greed and disrespect for the law are not intrinsically linked.

I would guess that Milton Fiedman never proposed illegal immigration as a beneficial pracitice to grow the American economy.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 AM

93,346 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Also, what he said could be viewed as incorrect about immigration benefiting everyone, as Blacks have always been less likely to immigrate and the Blacks that have had roots here for centuries were pushed to the side in favor of immigrants, legal and illegal, in many cases. If more Blacks were used, some might say our country would, be more progressive and the scale of many of the problems you see within some Black communities would probably be less than what they are today. People forget that Blacks had skills in trades like Blacksmithing, as barbers, stevedores, in hotels and other positions, but were replaced by immigrants with free reign to enter like Friedman stated in the video until 1914. I'm sure WW1 had something to do with that and the term WOP for some Italians, is an example of early illegal immigration. Here's an interesting article that gets into what I'm talking about: Sylvea Hollis | "The Black Man Almost Has Disappeared From Our Country": African American Workers in Cooperstown, New York, 1860–1900 | New York History, 88.1 | The History Cooperative

Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, what he said could be viewed as incorrect about immigration benefiting everyone, as Blacks have always been less likely to immigrate and the Blacks that have had roots here for centuries were pushed to the side in favor of immigrants, legal and illegal, in many cases. If more Blacks were used, some might say our country would, be more progressive and the scale of many of the problems you see within some Black communities would probably be less than what they are today. People forget that Blacks had skills in trades like Blacksmithing, as barbers, stevedores, in hotels and other positions, but were replaced by immigrants with free reign to enter like Friedman stated in the video until 1914. I'm sure WW1 had something to do with that and the term WOP for some Italians, is an example of early illegal immigration. Here's an interesting article that gets into what I'm talking about: Sylvea Hollis | "The Black Man Almost Has Disappeared From Our Country": African American Workers in Cooperstown, New York, 1860–1900 | New York History, 88.1 | The History Cooperative
Jobs held by Americans in the early 1900s have changed dramaitcally or disappeared altogether. My milkman is looking for work...

America continues to change, and holding on to ideas of the 19th and 20th centuries leaves those that have to compeat in a 21st century job market ill prepared to advance and succeed.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Illegal immigration has contributed to the chasm known as the middle grounds or middle class. Jobs that used to be done by kids and retirees are now careers for aliens here illegally. Think yard care and other labor type jobs.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:44 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Jobs held by Americans in the early 1900s have changed dramaitcally or disappeared altogether. My milkman is looking for work...

America continues to change, and holding on to ideas of the 19th and 20th centuries leaves those that have to compeat in a 21st century job market ill prepared to advance and succeed.
Some blue collar jobs however will always be needed and there will always be a demand for workers such as janitorial work, construction, restaurant workers, landscapers, etc. Many Americans have been pushed aside for these jobs in favor of cheap, illegal labor.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:56 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Are you conservatives going to disagree with him on this? I find it funny how conservatives cry for free market capitalism but want to put restrictions on immigration. The free movement of people is of free market economics.
lol you didnt pay attention to your vid, classic

What Friedman is saying is there is no problem with an open border and immigrants who come here and DO NOT receive welfare.

he mentions this starting at 1:35

Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
While Friedman was in favor of immigration(who isn't? very few Americans are anti-legal immigration), I don't know how you got the idea he was pro-illegal immigration out of that video; he was merely pointing out that the positive aspect of illegal immigrants over legal immigrants was that the illegals couldn't come here to abuse the welfare system or have access to entitlements.

All these open border nuts assume things like identity, culture, language, nationality, etc don't matter.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 03-31-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Some blue collar jobs however will always be needed and there will always be a demand for workers such as janitorial work, construction, restaurant workers, landscapers, etc. Many Americans have been pushed aside for these jobs in favor of cheap, illegal labor.
I can open my local news paper or state employment commision's job site and find jobs for all those trades you listed...all.

I would guess if you did the same in your area, there would be like jobs posted.

So where is all this displacement happening?

It is a fact that illegal aliens are taking American jobs[the obvious] and that is illegal[to hire them], but there is no proof that "dispalcement" keeps anyone from working, or that there are no jobs available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration