U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 AM

28,568 posts, read 26,446,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I LOVE that more and more jobs are listing it as a requirement or preference. It gives me an advantage over other applicants.

Ya, Mandarin and Portuguese right.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 AM

7,892 posts, read 8,585,266 times
My wife and I lived in Houston for a few years. When we first moved there, my wife was looking for jobs and ran into this issue over and over. The job announcement would list bilingual, which she is, but she'd not get the job because apparently 'bilingual' automatically means spanish. French doesn't matter. It was infuriating for her.

Luckily I work in a field where English is the required common language per international regulations.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:45 AM

18,856 posts, read 28,297,184 times
I work at a place where you are supposed to know English, and speak Spanish only on breaks. Right. I hear more Spanish at work than English, or this strange bastard language, Spanglish, which is half the conversation is in English, the other half in Spanish.

My question is, should my kids be learning Spanish now, in order to be competitive for jobs? But no matter what, they won't be as fluent as someone's whose Mother speaks Spanish.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:18 PM

23,000 posts, read 35,218,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I personally think it should be illegal to post jobs, especially government jobs, where the preference is for a person who speaks Spanish...
Sort of like the government jobs for typists, but you can't give them a typing test? (Forgive me if that has changed in the recent years).

If I need a truck driver, can I advertise only those with CDL's can apply.

If I need a German linguist you don't want us to ask "Fluency in the German language is a requirement."

Old 04-02-2011, 02:00 PM

47,578 posts, read 55,155,689 times
Quote:
I work at a place where you are supposed to know English, and speak Spanish only on breaks. Right. I hear more Spanish at work than English, or this strange bastard language, Spanglish, which is half the conversation is in English, the other half in Spanish.

My question is, should my kids be learning Spanish now, in order to be competitive for jobs? But no matter what, they won't be as fluent as someone's whose Mother speaks Spanish.
I don't think that will really help them.

I know a guy who grew up in the Midwest whose mother did speak Spanish because she was from South Texas and he called himself a Chicano or Mexican, he spoke Spanish but not how it's spoken in Mexico.

He worked as a social worker for many years and was given the job because of his ethnic background as the midwestern state he lives in had "chicanos" needing social workers. However in recent years a huge increase of Spanish speakers who need social workers showed up and they complained about the way he spoke Spanish and he lost his job.

He was replaced of course with someone also from the same country as the newcomers whose Spanish was native fluency and also the way they want to hear it.

I've seen a lot more of that lately. They will discrimate against even hispanics because they grew up in the USA and don't speak good enough Spanish.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 PM

16,814 posts, read 11,535,689 times
if it bothers people speaking spanish, then why dont they learn english.

I think the USA needs to have in place as law the english language as the only language spoken in goverment and schools.

schools are fine with learning a 2nd language, but the primary language is still english.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:20 AM

7 posts, read 3,948 times
Quote:

We as Americans have bastardised the English language. Our English is a bastardisation of the British English.

I don't have any problems with companies deciding who to hire. If you want to work in the new world you need to improve your language skills.

Companies is South America required English for their jobs but that is not problem because all the kids learn English is school.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 AM

47,578 posts, read 55,155,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
We as Americans have bastardised the English language. Our English is a bastardisation of the British English.

I don't have any problems with companies deciding who to hire. If you want to work in the new world you need to improve your language skills.

Companies is South America required English for their jobs but that is not problem because all the kids learn English is school.
That's the sad thing. English is the interntional language and kids growing up in the USA are not learning it but are required to learn one and only one foreign language.

Many schools have dropped all other foreign languages. No more German, French, Russia, Classic Latin or Greek.

And while they cram Spanish they eliminate books for Chemistry, and let math go by the wayside.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:50 PM

14,307 posts, read 10,395,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Sort of like the government jobs for typists, but you can't give them a typing test? (Forgive me if that has changed in the recent years).

If I need a truck driver, can I advertise only those with CDL's can apply.

If I need a German linguist you don't want us to ask "Fluency in the German language is a requirement."
Your analogies are bogus.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 PM

3,855 posts, read 3,853,552 times
Quote:
Okay, I was not sure whether to post this in employment section or here...but this just irks line "Bi-lingual applicants wanted" annoys me. ESPECIALLY FOR GOVERNMENT JOBS!!!!! Yes, I know the standard, mean comments are, "Well, if it bothers you SO much, just learn Spanish."...and yes, when the jobs want someone Bi-lingual, that means English/Spanish, not English/ASL, which I am fluent in...

Recently a job was posted for someone to do applications for Food Stamps, Medicaid, and Financial Assistance, things I have experience in...I looked at the job, and had all of the qualifications, except for the part that stated that Spanish speaking applicants were preferred...interesting...

More and more jobs are like this...what does every one think about that? I personally think it should be illegal to post jobs, especially government jobs, where the preference is for a person who speaks Spanish...
If your state offers benefits to illegal aliens, and one has to communicate with these individuals, what would you suggest?

Since the benefits are not going away today, and no one has proposed to end these benefits, should the reciepients learn English before the recieving benefits...?

OK. If that bill passes..." That all reciepients of state benefits must learn English before they recieve benefits"... how is this directive communicated to those that have yet to learn English? Osmosis?

I understand why learning makes you angery...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration