U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:50 PM

10,034 posts, read 6,361,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
If your state offers benefits to illegal aliens, and one has to communicate with these individuals, what would you suggest?

Since the benefits are not going away today, and no one has proposed to end these benefits, should the reciepients learn English before the recieving benefits...?

OK. If that bill passes..." That all reciepients of state benefits must learn English before they recieve benefits"... how is this directive communicated to those that have yet to learn English? Osmosis?

I understand why learning makes you angery...

I suggest deporting all of the illegal aliens.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Apparently requiring English is unacceptable though....

Lawyer speaks out on Salvation Army suit - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News

Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM

3,855 posts, read 3,865,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I suggest deporting all of the illegal aliens.
great suggestion, but untill then, and untill these benefits are recinded, what would you suggest?

Hirring pesrons that can speak the language/communicate or drawing stick figures to discuss benefits?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
great suggestion, but untill then, and untill these benefits are recinded, what would you suggest?

Hirring pesrons that can speak the language/communicate or drawing stick figures to discuss benefits?

I also suggest that peole who want benefits speak English.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Apparently requiring English is unacceptable though....

Lawyer speaks out on Salvation Army suit - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News
I think you are confused, the story said that the women were speaking to each other...what does that have to do with "requiring English"; or the OPs contention that jobs have preference for bi-lingual skills.

Niether job required one language over another...One job tried to restict non-work communication in a language other than English and one requested that an applicant be bi-lingual[one more language other than English].

Your not even mixing apples and oranges...your mixing spark plugs and bowling balls. not even remotely connected.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I also suggest that peole who want benefits speak English.
and you go back to my original thought...until English is learned, how does one go about communicating your directive? back to drawing stick figures...are we?

you have to communicate that they cant recieve beneifits till they learn English, Do they have to learn english till someone can communicate that they need to learn English to recieve benefits?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 PM

187 posts, read 141,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, I was not sure whether to post this in employment section or here...but this just irks line "Bi-lingual applicants wanted" annoys me. ESPECIALLY FOR GOVERNMENT JOBS!!!!! Yes, I know the standard, mean comments are, "Well, if it bothers you SO much, just learn Spanish."...and yes, when the jobs want someone Bi-lingual, that means English/Spanish, not English/ASL, which I am fluent in...

Recently a job was posted for someone to do applications for Food Stamps, Medicaid, and Financial Assistance, things I have experience in...I looked at the job, and had all of the qualifications, except for the part that stated that Spanish speaking applicants were preferred...interesting...

More and more jobs are like this...what does every one think about that? I personally think it should be illegal to post jobs, especially government jobs, where the preference is for a person who speaks Spanish...
In the industry we call it "assets" when people are dominant in more than one lanuguage, in the usa this "asset" is without a doubt knowing spanish
due to the bi-cultural nature of our country, I made the effort to learn good spanish, and expect to be remunerated for it....

Old 04-04-2011, 03:14 PM

14,307 posts, read 10,433,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
In the industry we call it "assets" when people are dominant in more than one lanuguage, in the usa this "asset" is without a doubt knowing spanish
due to the bi-cultural nature of our country, I made the effort to learn good spanish, and expect to be remunerated for it....
We are not a bi-cultural country. We have an identifying culture and a national language. Everything else are only minority cultures and languages.

There is no particular asset in knowing Spanish since most Hispanic- Americans know English to communicate with them. It is all about accomodating illegal alien Spanish speakers and I refuse to be a part of that BS.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
and you go back to my original thought...until English is learned, how does one go about communicating your directive? back to drawing stick figures...are we?

you have to communicate that they cant recieve beneifits till they learn English, Do they have to learn english till someone can communicate that they need to learn English to recieve benefits?

Nope. They call and everything is in English. If they don't speak English they will likely figure out they're out of luck. If they're too dumb to figure it out that's too bad.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
i think you are confused, the story said that the women were speaking to each other...what does that have to do with "requiring english"; or the ops contention that jobs have preference for bi-lingual skills.

Niether job required one language over another...one job tried to restict non-work communication in a language other than english and one requested that an applicant be bi-lingual[one more language other than english].

Your not even mixing apples and oranges...your mixing spark plugs and bowling balls. Not even remotely connected.

Quote:
but in 2004, the suit said, the salvation army enforced a written english- language policy and asked employees who could not speak english adequately to learn english. In december 2005, according to the suit, both escorbor and perdomo were fired for "failing to learn english and for speaking spanish."

read more: Lawyer speaks out on Salvation Army suit - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News
They failed to follow a published company policy and were fired. They sued because they didn't like that. What is it that you don't understand here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration