U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 04:02 PM

780 posts, read 1,358,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, I was not sure whether to post this in employment section or here...but this just irks line "Bi-lingual applicants wanted" annoys me. ESPECIALLY FOR GOVERNMENT JOBS!!!!! Yes, I know the standard, mean comments are, "Well, if it bothers you SO much, just learn Spanish."...and yes, when the jobs want someone Bi-lingual, that means English/Spanish, not English/ASL, which I am fluent in...

Recently a job was posted for someone to do applications for Food Stamps, Medicaid, and Financial Assistance, things I have experience in...I looked at the job, and had all of the qualifications, except for the part that stated that Spanish speaking applicants were preferred...interesting...

More and more jobs are like this...what does every one think about that? I personally think it should be illegal to post jobs, especially government jobs, where the preference is for a person who speaks Spanish...
Should the preference be on someone who speaks English then? As far as I know, the U.S. has no official language. If you want the job, then learn Spanish. You would go to college for 4-5 years for a chance at a job, but you won't put in the couple of months of effort to learn a language that would solidify your position in many jobs? Don't take this as a personal attack, I don't really agree with it either, but that's the employer's call. There's not really much you can do about it. And why does anyone have to learn English if you don't have to learn Spanish? Doesn't really seem fair.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:36 PM

3,855 posts, read 3,877,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
We are not a bi-cultural country. We have an identifying culture and a national language. Everything else are only minority cultures and languages.

There is no particular asset in knowing Spanish since most Hispanic- Americans know English to communicate with them. It is all about accomodating illegal alien Spanish speakers and I refuse to be a part of that BS.
No one is asking you to be part of it...the job description ask for bi-lingual skills...didnt ask if you were ok with that.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:43 PM

54 posts, read 48,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, I was not sure whether to post this in employment section or here...but this just irks line "Bi-lingual applicants wanted" annoys me. ESPECIALLY FOR GOVERNMENT JOBS!!!!! Yes, I know the standard, mean comments are, "Well, if it bothers you SO much, just learn Spanish."...and yes, when the jobs want someone Bi-lingual, that means English/Spanish, not English/ASL, which I am fluent in...

Recently a job was posted for someone to do applications for Food Stamps, Medicaid, and Financial Assistance, things I have experience in...I looked at the job, and had all of the qualifications, except for the part that stated that Spanish speaking applicants were preferred...interesting...

More and more jobs are like this...what does every one think about that? I personally think it should be illegal to post jobs, especially government jobs, where the preference is for a person who speaks Spanish...

Government jobs, especially, need bi-lingual applicants and it does not mean they are Hispanic but the service deals with those who do not speak English.
Illegal aliens who have american born children do apply for welfare for their children and need bi-lingual clerks to interview them.
No reason for it to be illegal to hire one who is bi-lingual.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:45 PM

14,307 posts, read 10,477,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Should the preference be on someone who speaks English then? As far as I know, the U.S. has no official language. If you want the job, then learn Spanish. You would go to college for 4-5 years for a chance at a job, but you won't put in the couple of months of effort to learn a language that would solidify your position in many jobs? Don't take this as a personal attack, I don't really agree with it either, but that's the employer's call. There's not really much you can do about it. And why does anyone have to learn English if you don't have to learn Spanish? Doesn't really seem fair.
The only reason that Spanish is being required is to accomodate the illegal invaders and you think that Americans should have to learn Spanish for that reason? English is our de facto national language even though it isn't official on the federal level. It is however the official language of many of our states.

You can't be serious with your last remark. So you think that immigrants (and I use that word losely) shouldn't have to learn the language of the country they migrated to but the natives of said country should learn the immigrants language instead?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelezah1288 View Post
Government jobs, especially, need bi-lingual applicants and it does not mean they are Hispanic but the service deals with those who do not speak English.
Illegal aliens who have american born children do apply for welfare for their children and need bi-lingual clerks to interview them.
No reason for it to be illegal to hire one who is bi-lingual.
There is no reason that a legal/citizen Hispanic shouldn't know English. One has to know English in order to gain citizenship in our country. It is ludicrous to me that native English speakers of this country should have to learn Spanish to accomodate illegal alien parents just so they can dip into our tax coffers for their anchors. No one saying that it is illegal to hire a bi-lingual applicant but when they are favored over a native English speaker when they are equally qualified or the English speaker is more qualified is not fair because of the reasons that a bi-lingual person would be hired over them.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
No one is asking you to be part of it...the job description ask for bi-lingual skills...didnt ask if you were ok with that.
I didn't say anyone was asking me to a part of the BS. All I am saying is that I wouldn't be and neither would most Americans based on the reasons why bi-lingual Spanish is being required on many jobs today. WTH is going on in this country whereby native English speakers are being denied jobs because they can't or won't communicate with the illegal invaders?

Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,224,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
If your state offers benefits to illegal aliens, and one has to communicate with these individuals, what would you suggest?

Since the benefits are not going away today, and no one has proposed to end these benefits, should the reciepients learn English before the recieving benefits...?

OK. If that bill passes..." That all reciepients of state benefits must learn English before they recieve benefits"... how is this directive communicated to those that have yet to learn English? Osmosis?

I understand why learning makes you angery...
I guarantee if you polled most Americans they would state the benefits should go away today. If pols listened to us any illegal alien using said services would be immediately deported for welfare fraud as technically they are not supposed to qualify for benefits.

Then again I thought no illegal aliens were allowed to get welfare? Is that just another lie told by the illegal alien lobby?

Why would Americans not get angry at the notion that foreign nationals should be able to claim benefits from American taxpayers? Where on earth does someone who has no right to be here get the nerve not only demand money from Americans but make demands that Americans provide said benefits in their own language?

What most of us would suggest is a simple solution: no access to tax dollars for illegal aliens and immediate deportation for anyone using them. Do you have a problem with this notion? If so why? Why should someone who is here without permission be allowed to claim money from the public till?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Since when are Americans required to learn another language to accommodate the needs of immigrants? Let alone the needs of illegal immigrants? If someone wants to come here they should be offered two choices: learn English or stay home.

That's literally the only reason for most Americans to learn Spanish: to cater to the needs of the 75% of the illegal alien population from Hispanic countries who are too arrogant to bother to learn English.

Those were the choices offered to prior immigrants. Why should things be any different today? That's where half the resistance to illegal immigration stems from: the arrogant demands that Americans don't have enough to do. Oh no. We need to spend our spare time catering to the needs of a population too lazy to learn our language. They don't have to do a thing. They don't have to drive with insurance, pay taxes, obey our immigration laws.

Nah.

They don't even have to learn English. Americans will do that for them. That kind of of entitlement mentality is most of the problem. And would never, ever be tolerated were the situation reversed.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:47 PM

18,856 posts, read 28,502,341 times
I just find it difficult to wrap my head around the fact that speaking Spanish is the new job requirement for so many jobs. I guess it is worse for my friend , she is Hispanic, has a Spanish last name, has lived in US for 3 generations, she does not speak Spanish, but people assume she does. She had a job almost in the bag until the interviewer complimented her on her English, she thanked him, and he asked how long she has been here in the US, she told him she has always lived here, then they started speaking to her in Spanish, and she told them she did not speak Spanish, she was pretty much shown the door then.

I never thought Spanish would be a job requirement in this country. Yet, more and ore it seems to be that way.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:43 AM

3,855 posts, read 3,877,630 times
[quote=chicagonut;18584667]I didn't say anyone was asking me to a part of the BS. All I am saying is that I wouldn't be and neither would most Americans based on the reasons why bi-lingual Spanish is being required on many jobs today. WTH is going on in this country whereby native English speakers are being denied jobs because they can't or won't communicate with the illegal invaders?[/quote]

Is it not evident, that which ever language these "invaders" speak, the state, or ICE, or the Legal system, Hospitals, Police departments, Schools have to be able to communicate with them?

The OP said, that the job listing asked for...
Quote:
Recently a job was posted for someone to do applications for Food Stamps, Medicaid, and Financial Assistance, things I have experience in...I looked at the job, and had all of the qualifications, except for the part that stated that Spanish speaking applicants were preferred...
No one was denied anything. If the OP "can't" or "won't" speak "Spanish" he has that right, but an employer has the right to fill a position which requires a bi-lingual skill set.

If an employer is seeking applicants with MS Word and Powerpoint experience, should an applicant be mad at the employer for asking for those skill sets? Bi-lingual is just another skill set. If you dont have it...go to the next job listing.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 AM

13,295 posts, read 11,582,318 times
Quote:
I refuse to be a part of that BS.
That is totally your right. The right to speak, or not speak a language. One of the things that makes this country so wonderful.

Quote:
We are not a bi-cultural country.
Really?

You know that Hawaii became a state in 1959. So, surely there are people living in Hawaii who were living there before Hawaii was a state. I would imagine that they maintained their culture instead of adopting 'American' culture overnight on August 22nd.

Quote:
No one saying that it is illegal to hire a bi-lingual applicant but when they are favored over a native English speaker when they are equally qualified or the English speaker is more qualified is not fair because of the reasons that a bi-lingual person would be hired over them.
The bi-lingual applicant would be more qualified due to the fact that they are bi-lingual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.