U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 AM

6,611 posts, read 10,346,858 times

Advertisements

Riiiiight - like they'll be able to cope with Spanish with an Aussie accent..............

Old 04-05-2011, 01:09 AM

3,855 posts, read 3,857,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I guarantee if you polled most Americans they would state the benefits should go away today. If pols listened to us any illegal alien using said services would be immediately deported for welfare fraud as technically they are not supposed to qualify for benefits.

Then again I thought no illegal aliens were allowed to get welfare? Is that just another lie told by the illegal alien lobby?

Why would Americans not get angry at the notion that foreign nationals should be able to claim benefits from American taxpayers? Where on earth does someone who has no right to be here get the nerve not only demand money from Americans but make demands that Americans provide said benefits in their own language?

What most of us would suggest is a simple solution: no access to tax dollars for illegal aliens and immediate deportation for anyone using them. Do you have a problem with this notion? If so why? Why should someone who is here without permission be allowed to claim money from the public till?

Since when are Americans required to learn another language to accommodate the needs of immigrants? Let alone the needs of illegal immigrants? If someone wants to come here they should be offered two choices: learn English or stay home.

That's literally the only reason for most Americans to learn Spanish: to cater to the needs of the 75% of the illegal alien population from Hispanic countries who are too arrogant to bother to learn English.

Those were the choices offered to prior immigrants. Why should things be any different today? That's where half the resistance to illegal immigration stems from: the arrogant demands that Americans don't have enough to do. Oh no. We need to spend our spare time catering to the needs of a population too lazy to learn our language. They don't have to do a thing. They don't have to drive with insurance, pay taxes, obey our immigration laws.

Nah.

They don't even have to learn English. Americans will do that for them. That kind of of entitlement mentality is most of the problem. And would never, ever be tolerated were the situation reversed.
benefits is not the issue, it is that benefits are being offered right now. and to communicate with those people about the services provided, how would that be done? It is not good management to offer a service but not be able to communicate that service to your client...

You can argue whether they should be here, whether they should be recieving benefits...but the reality is they are here and services are being provided...and communication is needed.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 AM

14,307 posts, read 10,408,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
That is totally your right. The right to speak, or not speak a language. One of the things that makes this country so wonderful.

Really?

You know that Hawaii became a state in 1959. So, surely there are people living in Hawaii who were living there before Hawaii was a state. I would imagine that they maintained their culture instead of adopting 'American' culture overnight on August 22nd.

The bi-lingual applicant would be more qualified due to the fact that they are bi-lingual.
One state does not make us bi-cultural. What part of we have an identifying culture and language don't you get? All others are just minority cultures and languages.

A bi-lingual Spanish/English applicant should not have an advantage over an mono-English speaker just because there are milions of illegal alien Spanish speakers in this country. We should be conducting business in English only unless it is a tourist type job.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
benefits is not the issue, it is that benefits are being offered right now. and to communicate with those people about the services provided, how would that be done? It is not good management to offer a service but not be able to communicate that service to your client...

You can argue whether they should be here, whether they should be recieving benefits...but the reality is they are here and services are being provided...and communication is needed.
We shouldn't be providing services in any other language than English. If an illegal alien or other person can't speak English then they should bring someone with them who can. But denying our native English speakers good jobs like government ones in favor of those who speak the language of illegal aliens is totally unfair.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:03 AM

10,452 posts, read 9,529,490 times
Not all Spanish-speakers are illegal.

Asking for bilingual English-Spanish is really no different than asking for bilingual English-ASL. It's just about accommodating the customer base. If a significant portion of the customer base spoke Xhosa, it would make sense to ask for bilingual English-Xhosa candidates. But because in America, English, Spanish, and ASL are the most commonly spoken languages, those are the languages companies want their employees to speak.

I have a friend who knows English, Spanish, and ASL and works at a bank. She kept her job throughout the whole economic dip, when all her colleagues were getting laid off, because the bank could pay one person to take care of a much larger percentage of customers. When customers came to her, it didn't matter if they were hearing, Deaf, American, or Latino, because she could communicate with any of them, whereas with other employees, they had to bring their customers to her. Companies ask for bilingual and multilingual employees because it's convenient. It saves them money and accommodates customers.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
We shouldn't be providing services in any other language than English. If an illegal alien or other person can't speak English then they should bring someone with them who can. But denying our native English speakers good jobs like government ones in favor of those who speak the language of illegal aliens is totally unfair.
Does that mean you also expect Deaf Americans to use spoken English, or does that rule only apply to "illegal aliens" (code for Latinos)?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I LOVE that more and more jobs are listing it as a requirement or preference. It gives me an advantage over other applicants.
Me too. I speak several languages and that definitely gave me an edge over other candidates, even when I had disability working against me. Even when the customer does speak English, if they find out you speak their language, they remember you as the person who speaks their language, and you're more likely to have repeat business. I got a lot of customers coming back from speaking with them in their native tongue, even though they could speak English.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 AM

47,578 posts, read 55,237,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Me too. I speak several languages and that definitely gave me an edge over other candidates, even when I had disability working against me. Even when the customer does speak English, if they find out you speak their language, they remember you as the person who speaks their language, and you're more likely to have repeat business. I got a lot of customers coming back from speaking with them in their native tongue, even though they could speak English.
And of course the "customers" are often the welfare applicants who have to have Spanish speaking social workers handing them their nice welfare handouts.

That's how absurd it has all become.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Does that mean you also expect Deaf Americans to use spoken English, or does that rule only apply to "illegal aliens" (code for Latinos)?
Of course not. You are comparing apples to oranges here. A deaf person wouldn't go anywhere to conduct business unless they brought someone with them who can hear. A deaf mute wouldn't expect to have someone wait on them who knows sign language everywhere they go.

No illegal alien is not a code word for Latinos. Latinos are not the only ones here illegally, however they are the largest group. Gee, that race card just doesn't want to go back in your wallet, does it?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Right, and it usually Latinos. Even though they may know English they expect to communicate in Spanish anyway. A true sign of non-assimilation in our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration