U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 10,428,030 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Out of curiosity, what IS my native culture?





Bull****. Complete and utter bull****.

Is it discrimination to 'hire someone based on their lack' of computer skills or certifications?




Businesses 'pander' to those who give money to that business. Every citizen has the right to refuse to assimilate.

I don't know what your native culture is but obviously it isn't the one dominant in the U.S. If it were you would be defending it rather than not giving a flying fig about it.

Your computer skills analogy is bogus. It is apples and oranges. One cannot perform a job without the technical skills it requires. Language isn't a technical skill.

Yes, business can pander for more profit if they choose but that neither makes them honorable nor patriotic. Why become a citizen if one doesn't want to assimilate into mainstream America?

 
Old 04-05-2011, 06:11 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 3,863,137 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
What do you mean so what?

Why should a single penny of my hard earned tax dollars go to people who aren't even supposed to be here?

That sort of attitude is ridiculous. I pay taxes to provide for myself and my fellow citizens not to subsidize the desire of low skilled, arrogant, over entitled, law breaking migrants from another country to come and stay here at public expense.

We have been told over and over again that illegals cannot qualify for benefits. If they are receiving them they should be charged with fraud and deported. The state should most certainly not make any efforts to help illegals gain benefits they are not entitled to by providing services in a foreign language.

Benefits are the issue. Institutions need to communicate one thing and one thing only to illegal alien criminals: GO HOME!

It is insane to suggest that Americans should offer them anything else.
If you are unable to understand that States offer illegal aliens benefits now, then I'm sorry to break the news to you. How can illegal aliens be charged with fraud when it is the state itself that offers the benefit?

Benefits are only one of the services offered illegal aliens. Municipal, County, and State service providers such as Medical, Judicial, Law Enforcement, Fire, and Schools to name a few serve illegal aliens and communicate in one form or another with those groups.

I understand you may disagree with these services, but each community has decided, that for themselves, it is better to inform[communicate] these groups than not. In order to accomplish this, these service providers have incorporated bi-lingual workers to accomplish their task.

Not to mention the many private companies that do the same...provide services in a language other than English... also incorporate bi-lingual workers.

Last edited by 1751texan; 04-05-2011 at 06:19 PM..
 
Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,214,094 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
If you are unable to understand that States offer illegal aliens benefits now, then I'm sorry to break the news to you. How can illegal aliens be charged with fraud when it is the state itself that offers the benefit?

Benefits are only one of the services offered illegal aliens. Municipal, County, and State service providers such as Medical, Judicial, Law Enforcement, Fire, and Schools to name a few serve illegal aliens and communicate in one form or another with those groups.

I understand you may disagree with these services, but each community has decided, that for themselves, it is better to inform[communicate] these groups than not. In order to accomplish this, these service providers have incorporated bi-lingual workers to accomplish their task.

Not to mention the many private companies that do the same...provide services in a language other than English... also incorporate bi-lingual workers.
Sigh.

For the hundreth time illegal aliens are not supposed to qualify for benefits. Illegal alien advocates keep telling us they don't.

I am sorry that you seem unable to understand that. I am sorrier still you seem to see no problem with it. Non-English speaking illegal aliens are not supposed to be entitled to services from the American public. This is includes interpreters because they are either too lazy or too stupid to learn English. Municipalities should not put American citizens at a disadvantage when applying for jobs to serve the needs of law breakers who break the law even further by applying for benefits.

Why is that principle so hard to understand?

No illegal alien is technically entitled to medicare, medicaid, social security, food stamps, housing assistance or any other taxpayer funded benefit. Why are you arguing that Americans must not only provide such benefits for this population but do so in Spanish?

Our governments are under no moral, financial or legal responsibility to serve the needs of Mexico's underclass. Everything that can be done to make it very hard for illegal aliens to attempt to claim benefits they are not legally owed should be done including making sure that no one is around to provide services in a foreign language as American citizens are required to be fluent in English in order to become citizens. Municipalities do not owe foreign nationals anything.
 
Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,295 posts, read 11,544,325 times
Reputation: 6609
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I don't know what your native culture is but obviously it isn't the one dominant in the U.S. If it were you would be defending it rather than not giving a flying fig about it.
I believe one of the most important parts of American culture is allowing people to live their lives as they see fit, so long as it causes no one else any direct harm. I am here, engaged in this thread, trying to defend that part of US culture.

Quote:
Your computer skills analogy is bogus. It is apples and oranges. One cannot perform a job without the technical skills it requires. Language isn't a technical skill.
Wrong. Language is a skill. It is the ability to communicate information. Nothing more and nothing less.

Quote:
Yes, business can pander for more profit if they choose but that neither makes them honorable nor patriotic.
Never claimed that it does. Businesses have no obligation to be honorable nor patriotic.
 
Old 04-06-2011, 02:46 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 3,863,137 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Sigh.

For the hundreth time illegal aliens are not supposed to qualify for benefits. Illegal alien advocates keep telling us they don't.

I am sorry that you seem unable to understand that. I am sorrier still you seem to see no problem with it. Non-English speaking illegal aliens are not supposed to be entitled to services from the American public. This is includes interpreters because they are either too lazy or too stupid to learn English. Municipalities should not put American citizens at a disadvantage when applying for jobs to serve the needs of law breakers who break the law even further by applying for benefits.

Why is that principle so hard to understand?

No illegal alien is technically entitled to medicare, medicaid, social security, food stamps, housing assistance or any other taxpayer funded benefit. Why are you arguing that Americans must not only provide such benefits for this population but do so in Spanish?

Our governments are under no moral, financial or legal responsibility to serve the needs of Mexico's underclass. Everything that can be done to make it very hard for illegal aliens to attempt to claim benefits they are not legally owed should be done including making sure that no one is around to provide services in a foreign language as American citizens are required to be fluent in English in order to become citizens. Municipalities do not owe foreign nationals anything.
When did I say that Americans must provide such benefits? or that these state agencies or private companies must provide bi-lingual services?

You were the one that continually argued that illegal aliens did not recieve benefits...Which is not correct. You continue to argue that benefits are not owed. Whether that are owed or not is not the point of this thread...yet you keep trying to make that point.

Whether benifits should be[or not be] offered illegal aliens is a discussion for another thread. The fact is that they are recieving benefits. I dont know what "techincally entitled to"...means.

The topic of this thread is bi-lingual workers...if you want to argue that governmental agencies and private companies should not offer bi-lingual services to thier clients[and therfore dont need bi-lingual workers], so be it. The fact, at this moment in time, they do.
 
Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 AM
 
2,227 posts, read 4,051,285 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Not all Spanish-speakers are illegal.

Asking for bilingual English-Spanish is really no different than asking for bilingual English-ASL. It's just about accommodating the customer base. If a significant portion of the customer base spoke Xhosa, it would make sense to ask for bilingual English-Xhosa candidates. But because in America, English, Spanish, and ASL are the most commonly spoken languages, those are the languages companies want their employees to speak.

I have a friend who knows English, Spanish, and ASL and works at a bank. She kept her job throughout the whole economic dip, when all her colleagues were getting laid off, because the bank could pay one person to take care of a much larger percentage of customers. When customers came to her, it didn't matter if they were hearing, Deaf, American, or Latino, because she could communicate with any of them, whereas with other employees, they had to bring their customers to her. Companies ask for bilingual and multilingual employees because it's convenient. It saves them money and accommodates customers.
-----

Very true, companies and administrations love to ask for real stupid things. I guess that in some cases they do it to appear important.

Here in Barcelona they are asking 3 languages to work in a fast food joint.
Public Administration is way stranger here, they only speak Catalan (and we are in Spain).
Politicians are irrational everywhere.

If you apply for a managerial position, they want from 3 to 4 languages and then they say....any other language is a plus.... Quite stupid, really.

You don't need English here in most jobs, unless you want to chat with Australia during your working hours.

Last edited by Manolón; 04-06-2011 at 06:47 AM..
 
Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 AM
 
1,646 posts, read 1,938,636 times
Reputation: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, I was not sure whether to post this in employment section or here...but this just irks line "Bi-lingual applicants wanted" annoys me. ESPECIALLY FOR GOVERNMENT JOBS!!!!! Yes, I know the standard, mean comments are, "Well, if it bothers you SO much, just learn Spanish."...and yes, when the jobs want someone Bi-lingual, that means English/Spanish, not English/ASL, which I am fluent in...
I come from a family in diplomacy and know how to speak 4 languages and you are right, it does make a differenceto get a job. In a global economy, it always help to learn another language.

BTW I am hispanic and a legal immigrant and no I don't get any "freebies" from the gvmt but a lot of people do get them, but I do not know if they are here illegally or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top