Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Not all Spanish-speakers are illegal.

Asking for bilingual English-Spanish is really no different than asking for bilingual English-ASL. It's just about accommodating the customer base. If a significant portion of the customer base spoke Xhosa, it would make sense to ask for bilingual English-Xhosa candidates. But because in America, English, Spanish, and ASL are the most commonly spoken languages, those are the languages companies want their employees to speak.

I have a friend who knows English, Spanish, and ASL and works at a bank. She kept her job throughout the whole economic dip, when all her colleagues were getting laid off, because the bank could pay one person to take care of a much larger percentage of customers. When customers came to her, it didn't matter if they were hearing, Deaf, American, or Latino, because she could communicate with any of them, whereas with other employees, they had to bring their customers to her. Companies ask for bilingual and multilingual employees because it's convenient. It saves them money and accommodates customers.
That is why we have so many non-assimilating Hispanics in our country and bi-linguals are given an unfair job hiring advantage because banks and other business are pandering to their non-assimilation in our country.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
benefits is not the issue, it is that benefits are being offered right now. and to communicate with those people about the services provided, how would that be done? It is not good management to offer a service but not be able to communicate that service to your client...

You can argue whether they should be here, whether they should be recieving benefits...but the reality is they are here and services are being provided...and communication is needed.
Benefits are the issue. We are constantly told that illegal immigrants aren't getting benefits. We're told they don't qualify. You're admitting this isn't true.

If such benefits are not being offered why do we need to hire Spanish speakers? Because the only way you're supposed to qualify for benefits in the first place is because you are here legally and a citizen. Resident aliens and greencard holders are not supposed to qualify lest they be labeled a public charge. Natives are supposed to be English speakers.

So ultimately, no, we have no responsibility to provide these "clients" aka an illegal alien population anything, let alone welfare benefits in Spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Does that mean you also expect Deaf Americans to use spoken English, or does that rule only apply to "illegal aliens" (code for Latinos)?
Deaf people have a physical disability that prevents them from learning English. That's an entirely different matter than a law breaker. Oh and Spanish speaker is used as synonym for illegal aliens because 75% are in fact Latinos.

If the Latino community does not want to be associated with illegal aliens their leaders should stop sponsoring legislation designed to benefit said illegal aliens and place ludicrous burdens on native citizens. My own senator has said literally nothing about the serious problems confronting many of our state's citizens yet has repeatedly sponsored legislation such as the DREAM act designed to steal public funds from people who are not Latino. When he starts working for ALL people in this state and not just the people who share his ethnicity I will stop thinking of him as the Latino senator.

That day is not here.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
One state does not make us bi-cultural. What part of we have an identifying culture and language don't you get? All others are just minority cultures and languages.
I get it just fine. I just don't give a **** if the culture or language is 'identifying' or 'minority'. The cultures and languages exist within the country

Quote:
A bi-lingual Spanish/English applicant should not have an advantage over an mono-English speaker just because there are milions of illegal alien Spanish speakers in this country. We should be conducting business in English only unless it is a tourist type job.
I also don't give a **** what you think 'should' happen.

A company can require whatever skills it deems necessary to conduct its business.

You are more than welcome to start your own business and hire only English speakers.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 AM

187 posts, read 181,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I get it just fine. I just don't give a **** if the culture or language is 'identifying' or 'minority'. The cultures and languages exist within the country

A company can require whatever skills it deems necessary to conduct its business.

You are more than welcome to start your own business and hire only English speakers.

well said .....

Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Benefits are the issue. We are constantly told that illegal immigrants aren't getting benefits. We're told they don't qualify. You're admitting this isn't true.

If such benefits are not being offered why do we need to hire Spanish speakers? Because the only way you're supposed to qualify for benefits in the first place is because you are here legally and a citizen. Resident aliens and greencard holders are not supposed to qualify lest they be labeled a public charge. Natives are supposed to be English speakers.

So ultimately, no, we have no responsibility to provide these "clients" aka an illegal alien population anything, let alone welfare benefits in Spanish.

Deaf people have a physical disability that prevents them from learning English. That's an entirely different matter than a law breaker. Oh and Spanish speaker is used as synonym for illegal aliens because 75% are in fact Latinos.

If the Latino community does not want to be associated with illegal aliens their leaders should stop sponsoring legislation designed to benefit said illegal aliens and place ludicrous burdens on native citizens. My own senator has said literally nothing about the serious problems confronting many of our state's citizens yet has repeatedly sponsored legislation such as the DREAM act designed to steal public funds from people who are not Latino. When he starts working for ALL people in this state and not just the people who share his ethnicity I will stop thinking of him as the Latino senator.

That day is not here.
You're exactly right, you have no responsiblity, but if your state offers benefits to illegal aliens, then what? You can end these benefits if you and like minded voters wish to...but the FACT is that benefits are being offered.

I am not offering these benefits, but I understand that if they are being offered, then it insane to suggest that no attempt should be made to communicate to these illegal aliens on the benefits offered.

I say benefits are not the issue, because the thread topic is jobs being offered bi-lingual applicants; not whether benefits should be offered. I'm trying to to discuss the topic...but you go ahead and rail against anything you'ld like, that doesnt change the fact-companies and institutions need to communicate to these people.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:58 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:

Of course you don't care about our identifying culture because it isn't your native culture. Do you also not care about Mexico retaining its identity, culture and language? Somehow I doubt it. How about China, Japan, etc. or is it only this country that doesn't have that right?

Yes, a company can hire whomever it wants to unless they are being discriminatory and it is discrimination to hire someone based on their lack for foreign language skills in order to pander to illegal aliens or citizens who refuse to assimilate.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
You're exactly right, you have no responsiblity, but if your state offers benefits to illegal aliens, then what? You can end these benefits if you and like minded voters wish to...but the FACT is that benefits are being offered.

I am not offering these benefits, but I understand that if they are being offered, then it insane to suggest that no attempt should be made to communicate to these illegal aliens on the benefits offered.

I say benefits are not the issue, because the thread topic is jobs being offered bi-lingual applicants; not whether benefits should be offered. I'm trying to to discuss the topic...but you go ahead and rail against anything you'ld like, that doesnt change the fact-companies and institutions need to communicate to these people.
What do you mean so what?

Why should a single penny of my hard earned tax dollars go to people who aren't even supposed to be here?

That sort of attitude is ridiculous. I pay taxes to provide for myself and my fellow citizens not to subsidize the desire of low skilled, arrogant, over entitled, law breaking migrants from another country to come and stay here at public expense.

We have been told over and over again that illegals cannot qualify for benefits. If they are receiving them they should be charged with fraud and deported. The state should most certainly not make any efforts to help illegals gain benefits they are not entitled to by providing services in a foreign language.

Benefits are the issue. Institutions need to communicate one thing and one thing only to illegal alien criminals: GO HOME!

It is insane to suggest that Americans should offer them anything else.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:34 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Of course you don't care about our identifying culture because it isn't your native culture.
Out of curiosity, what IS my native culture?

Quote:
Yes, a company can hire whomever it wants to unless they are being discriminatory and it is discrimination to hire someone based on their lack for foreign language skills
Bull****. Complete and utter bull****.

Is it discrimination to 'hire someone based on their lack' of computer skills or certifications?

Quote:
in order to pander to illegal aliens or citizens who refuse to assimilate.
Businesses 'pander' to those who give money to that business. Every citizen has the right to refuse to assimilate.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Businesses 'pander' to those who give money to that business. Every citizen has the right to refuse to assimilate.
Except that illegal aliens are NOT citizens of THIS country and shouldn't be catered to.

This is such bull****. If they really want to be in this country at least make an effort and learn the d*mn language.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 PM

93 posts, read 138,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post

That day is not here.
preach!!! lol. i am hispanic and know maaaaaannnyyy hispanics especially here in NM who despise illegals. Its funny when pro illegals try to play the race card, when they say that they soind extremely ignorant, ILLEGAL IS NOT A RACE!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration