U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:42 PM

12,627 posts, read 18,173,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I am a liberal and I am very anti illegal immigration.

Illegal immigrants cause all sorts of problems including problems with urban planning, school overcrowding and lowered wages for those at the bottom of the wage scale.

FYI in the interest of adding facts to this debate:

Study Details Lives of Illegal Immigrants in U.S. : NPR

As the report states half do not have a high school diploma.

Mexico is not a poor nation.

Mexico has National Health Insurance:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/wo.../30mexico.html

Mexicans are not starving.

Obesity up in Mexico, especially among children | Health & Medicine | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Mexico is home to ten billionaires including the world's richest man:

Mexicoís Ten Billionaires (According to the Forbes List)

So basically many illegal immigrants are simply people from Mexico who cannot make it in their own societies because of poor personal choices such as dropping out of high school and early childbearing decisions. I would like to know why a) they should get to skip the lines ahead of legal immigrants and b) why the American taxpayer should welcome Mexico's badly educated underclass?

I have never seen a satisfactory answer to either question. How is a 22 year old with three children, no English fluency and a seventh grade education going to contribute anything to our economy? And why the heck should we let him even try?

Old 04-10-2011, 01:58 PM

13,396 posts, read 21,956,258 times
I think you all scared off Annie - she sure doesn't seem to be eager to address the details and facts brought up in this thread.

She claims people opposed to the illegal invasion of our country are ignorant, yet she claims that the Mexicans rushing our border are "starving" - when in fact, Mexico is now the second heaviest nation on the planet, soon to replace the US in the top spot. Looking around here in LA, if all the illegals went back to Mexico tonight, the top two rankings on the national obesity data would toggle overnight.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:18 PM

416 posts, read 372,729 times
Eleanora1, Mexico IS poor. I was just in Mexico City a few weeks back and there are many, many ghettos. Some of my fellow Liberals say it's because of NAFTA. If it was, I'm sure they would get out of it. No? Lots of people do work, but in low paid jobs. However, I think it's Mexico responsibility to help its citizens. You can't just say "let them in, they are poor etc." Any country can only take in so many low skilled people, if it's too many, then you have ghettos etc. And, I think it's a slap into the face of millions of legal immigrants like me Legal immigrants and their struggle is often ignored. It's not that easy to come here legally. People just think it is, because they see so many Mexicans just coming over. I read a while back ( NY Times ) that about 55% of foreign born Latinos are here illegally. That tells you something.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:23 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,528,353 times
I just want to commend the many anti-illegals in here for their excellent posts based on the facts and the rule of law. I can't add a single thing. All grounds were covered. If after reading all of these posts someone can still defend illegal aliens then they either have an agenda that trumps common sense or are so bleeding heart liberal that they can't see the forest for the trees.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:31 PM

210 posts, read 171,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I just want to commend the many anti-illegals in here for their excellent posts based on the facts and the rule of law. I can't add a single thing. All grounds were covered. If after reading all of these posts someone can still defend illegal aliens then they either have an agenda that trumps common sense or are so bleeding heart liberal that they can't see the forest for the trees.
true that brother!!!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTERWALTER View Post
true that brother!!!!!
Sister!

Old 04-10-2011, 03:30 PM

12,627 posts, read 18,173,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
Eleanora1, Mexico IS poor. I was just in Mexico City a few weeks back and there are many, many ghettos. Some of my fellow Liberals say it's because of NAFTA. If it was, I'm sure they would get out of it. No? Lots of people do work, but in low paid jobs. However, I think it's Mexico responsibility to help its citizens. You can't just say "let them in, they are poor etc." Any country can only take in so many low skilled people, if it's too many, then you have ghettos etc. And, I think it's a slap into the face of millions of legal immigrants like me Legal immigrants and their struggle is often ignored. It's not that easy to come here legally. People just think it is, because they see so many Mexicans just coming over. I read a while back ( NY Times ) that about 55% of foreign born Latinos are here illegally. That tells you something.
No Correction Mexico is a very Wealthy country. That chooses to keep its people poor!

Old 04-10-2011, 04:15 PM

210 posts, read 171,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Sister!
sorry..didn't Know!!!LOL

Old 04-10-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTERWALTER View Post
sorry..didn't Know!!!LOL
No problem.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:37 PM

1,123 posts, read 644,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
Have a little respect for people who are in oppressive conditions who came here for a better life, just as many of your ancestors did themselves. Total hypocrisy.
Such a patently stupid post, it is sad that this kind of garbage is added into the thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or