Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to sponsor an Illegal Immigrant?
Yes, I would be more than willing to act as sponsor to illegal immigrants. 19 7.09%
No, but I would be happy to pay a higher personal tax to help pay for their support. 7 2.61%
No, but I would be happy to host them in my home if someone else pays me for it. 2 0.75%
No. I do not wish to support illegal immigrants in ANY way with my tax dollars or personal income. 240 89.55%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:42 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
The only way this issue can be dealt with will require people becoming actively involved. Maybe a good start would be to picket and boycott those companies which are known to hire illegals. If enough people gather in front of a business with protest signs the owner will be put on the spot to address it.
I would definitely join in with trumpets blaring if there was anyone else in this town willing to fight back. But this is a very liberal town, heavily taken over by hispanics and the whites are either intimidated by the sheer numbers of hispanics themselves or the PC brigade.

Museum,

No, I can't be for certain that she was an illegal. But for me it's enough to know that she didn't speak English and was uneducated. I AM certain she didn't bust her ass at either culinary school OR externship as well. Also, the restaurant in question is also a highly successful catering business that does high volume. This would have been a plum job.

So oh yeeeaaaahhhhh I'm bitter about it alright. I feel entitled to THAT much at least lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I would definitely join in with trumpets blaring if there was anyone else in this town willing to fight back. But this is a very liberal town, heavily taken over by hispanics and the whites are either intimidated by the sheer numbers of hispanics themselves or the PC brigade.

Museum,

No, I can't be for certain that she was an illegal. But for me it's enough to know that she didn't speak English and was uneducated. I AM certain she didn't bust her ass at either culinary school OR externship as well. Also, the restaurant in question is also a highly successful catering business that does high volume. This would have been a plum job.

So oh yeeeaaaahhhhh I'm bitter about it alright. I feel entitled to THAT much at least lol
And you may have been done in by the propensity in that industry to pay lower level kitchen help off the books whether they are legal or not. YOu would have actual been an employee requiring that the employer pay and withold taxes. The other may well never appear on the books.

YOu also may appear to the employer articulate and able to defend yourself. Not neccessarily traits looked for in certain employees.

Goes on heavily in places in the construction industry as well. Actually makes illegals into desirable employees even if paid competitively.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:38 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
The only way this issue can be dealt with will require people becoming actively involved. Maybe a good start would be to picket and boycott those companies which are known to hire illegals. If enough people gather in front of a business with protest signs the owner will be put on the spot to address it.
Quote:

...No, I can't be for certain that she was an illegal. But for me it's enough to know that she didn't speak English and was uneducated...
I'll relate a story about my wife, whom was working at Wal-Mart at the time, just like your mom. There was a customer that had her as a cashier (she has a noticeable accent, but speaks English very well) and called in to the management anonymously within minutes of leaving the store. The customer accused my wife of "trying to steal" their identity (and wanting her to be fired on the spot), although all of the store procedures were followed.

What it was is my wife requesting and writing down the driver's license numbers on the personal check the customer was using to pay for the purchase. My wife had her own driver's license, and was fully work-authorized, but the customer wrongly jumped to the conclusion that she was an "illegal" from her accent. The solution, as the store management saw it, was for my wife to call a CSR to complete the transaction whenever she had a customer paying by personal check after that!

Amazingly the customer was never made aware that my wife is a Legal Permanent Resident to counter the false complaint. As far as when the phone call ended, the customer thought that she was maybe able to get an "illegal" fired. If the store was visited later, there could have even been a perception that the store management was unwilling to do anything about the concern of employing "illegals".

Just food for thought. How would have my wife felt if instead she was let go, or viewed as unpromotable for causing so many kinks in doing her cashier job (with the new store policy specifically treating her differently)? Picketing and protesting a business may just hurt the people doing everything correctly.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:55 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I'll relate a story about my wife, whom was working at Wal-Mart at the time, just like your mom. There was a customer that had her as a cashier (she has a noticeable accent, but speaks English very well) and called in to the management anonymously within minutes of leaving the store. The customer accused my wife of "trying to steal" their identity (and wanting her to be fired on the spot), although all of the store procedures were followed.

What it was is my wife requesting and writing down the driver's license numbers on the personal check the customer was using to pay for the purchase. My wife had her own driver's license, and was fully work-authorized, but the customer wrongly jumped to the conclusion that she was an "illegal" from her accent. The solution, as the store management saw it, was for my wife to call a CSR to complete the transaction whenever she had a customer paying by personal check after that!

Amazingly the customer was never made aware that my wife is a Legal Permanent Resident to counter the false complaint. As far as when the phone call ended, the customer thought that she was maybe able to get an "illegal" fired. If the store was visited later, there could have even been a perception that the store management was unwilling to do anything about the concern of employing "illegals".

Just food for thought. How would have my wife felt if instead she was let go, or viewed as unpromotable for causing so many kinks in doing her cashier job (with the new store policy specifically treating her differently)? Picketing and protesting a business may just hurt the people doing everything correctly.
Yes, crap does happen, "sometimes". Life is full of unfortunate circumstances and people who make dumb assumptions and accusations. You deal with it and move on rather than taking on the victim mentality syndrome.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
What rights would I support?
They are not citizens of this country, are here illegally and somehow get rights when they cross the border?
What a bunch of BS.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
I HATE when I hear this. Just because there are a FEW people here illegaly from other countries doesn't ERASE the fact that 99.9999999999% are illegals are hispanics.

I'm never sure what point people are trying to make exactly when they make statements like this. Do they think somehow it magickly makes the influx of Mexicans LESS of a problem or what ? Sorry. Don't get it.
It's just one of many default cop outs they use when cornered with the truth, and they have no logical or credible response. We all know, as well as they do that Hispanics are absolutely the majority of illegals in this country.

Whenever you hear about the occasional Euro, African, or Asian illegal they take that ball and run with it!! Look, see, we're not the only ones that enter this country illegally, why are us Hispanics being discriminated against? Please, give me a friggin break!!! How many times do we have to give them the stats and pie charts before they shut up.

Our government might be asleep at the wheel but the American people aren't buying that politically correct B.S. anymore!

Old 06-02-2011, 03:10 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yes, crap does happen, "sometimes". Life is full of unfortunate circumstances and people who make dumb assumptions and accusations. You deal with it and move on rather than taking on the victim mentality syndrome.
I'm answering a post, occasion for occasion (and for the understanding that picketing a business for an incorrect reason is wrong). Why isn't your advice phrased to her as well? My wife did move on, she works elsewhere now, but how did the event impact her employment?

Occasion reversed, you would be screaming bloody murder...

Old 06-02-2011, 03:15 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I'm answering a post, occasion for occasion (and for the understanding that picketing a business for an incorrect reason is wrong). Why isn't your advice phrased to her as well? My wife did move on, she works elsewhere now, but how did the event impact her employment?

Occasion reversed, you would be screaming bloody murder...
I don't give her the same advice because an English speaking American can't move on when they get discriminated against in hiring practices in favor of a Hispanic, especially if they are an illegal one. This happens constantly. The fact that your wife is Hispanic who speaks Spanish is an advantage over English speaking Americans due to the high numbers of illegal alien Spanish speakers. This all comes down to how negatively illegal immigration is impacting our native born workforce by creating discimination with language barriers.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
But are they really doing anything about the problem ? I might do that if I felt it would honestly do any good. To say I have absolutely no faith in the Man is putting it mildly lol
I hired a new (college student) employee that had been working at Wendy's in Redmond, WA. A few days after she started they called and offered her old job back at $2/hour more than when she quit. Why? INS had come in and took away 8 of their 10 employees. This was back in the late 90s, though, when they used to earn our tax money.

Oh, and she refused, since it was still $2 less than I was paying her.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
It's just one of many default cop outs they use when cornered with the truth, and they have no logical or credible response. We all know, as well as they do that Hispanics are absolutely the majority of illegals in this country.

Whenever you hear about the occasional Euro, African, or Asian illegal they take that ball and run with it!! Look, see, we're not the only ones that enter this country illegally, why are us Hispanics being discriminated against? Please, give me a friggin break!!! How many times do we have to give them the stats and pie charts before they shut up.

Our government might be asleep at the wheel but the American people aren't buying that politically correct B.S. anymore!
Virtually the entire view that illegal immigration is not mostly a Mexican problem comes from the antis trying to prove they are not against Hispanic or Mexicans - just against illegals of whatever flavor.

There is actually no doubt that the majority of the illegal aliens are Mexicans and much of the remainder is other hispanics.

So tell all your brethren what you have told us. When you go after the illegal aliens you are mostly going after Mexicans and Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration