U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you be willing to sponsor an Illegal Immigrant?
Yes, I would be more than willing to act as sponsor to illegal immigrants. 19 7.09%
No, but I would be happy to pay a higher personal tax to help pay for their support. 7 2.61%
No, but I would be happy to host them in my home if someone else pays me for it. 2 0.75%
No. I do not wish to support illegal immigrants in ANY way with my tax dollars or personal income. 240 89.55%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Simi Valley
2,625 posts, read 3,337,321 times
Reputation: 1026

Advertisements

Are you in favor of giving illegal immigrants full rights which they have not earned and are not entitled to? Do you feel that they have the right to come here without going through the normal, LEGAL channels, which have been set up to ensure the health and safety of ALL Americans, and to prevent immigration of criminals and those who are unable to support themselves?

If you are in favor of allowing illegals to enter and then remain in this country unimpeded, and currently at the cost of EVERY hard working American taxpayer, would you be willing to sacrifice some of your own money to keep them here? Would you invite them to live in your home with you and take upon yourself the burden of supporting them? Would you become a sponsor to a family of illegal immigrants, willing to put your neck on the line as a guarantor of any debts they may accrue, in order to prevent them from becoming a burden to the tax payer and the government? Is your dedication to their cause that strong? Or are you only happy to have them here as long as EVERYONE has to foot the bill, whether they want to or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2011, 06:56 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 2,534,879 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Are you in favor of giving illegal immigrants full rights which they have not earned and are not entitled to? Do you feel that they have the right to come here without going through the normal, LEGAL channels, which have been set up to ensure the health and safety of ALL Americans, and to prevent immigration of criminals and those who are unable to support themselves?

If you are in favor of allowing illegals to enter and then remain in this country unimpeded, and currently at the cost of EVERY hard working American taxpayer, would you be willing to sacrifice some of your own money to keep them here? Would you invite them to live in your home with you and take upon yourself the burden of supporting them? Would you become a sponsor to a family of illegal immigrants, willing to put your neck on the line as a guarantor of any debts they may accrue, in order to prevent them from becoming a burden to the tax payer and the government? Is your dedication to their cause that strong? Or are you only happy to have them here as long as EVERYONE has to foot the bill, whether they want to or not?
Is this thread about rights or adoption?

The US Constitution is clear on rights held by "citizens" and those held by "all persons". That has already been decided.

On adoption, If civic, religious, and advocacy groups were allowed to totally sponsor IA families or children...would this lead to a pathway to legal resident status? Would aliens be able to obtain No-deport orders, work and study permits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 07:26 PM
 
15,089 posts, read 9,196,841 times
Reputation: 6703
I am in favor of taking every illegal alien and their children and shipping them back over the border No excuses/exceptions, period.....

If that's anti-American so be it.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 682,346 times
Reputation: 407
Nope. Kick em all out if here illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Simi Valley
2,625 posts, read 3,337,321 times
Reputation: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Is this thread about rights or adoption?

The US Constitution is clear on rights held by "citizens" and those held by "all persons". That has already been decided.

On adoption, If civic, religious, and advocacy groups were allowed to totally sponsor IA families or children...would this lead to a pathway to legal resident status? Would aliens be able to obtain No-deport orders, work and study permits?
All good questions

Its about rights obtained through LEGAL residency status in the United States. Sponsorship isn't adoption, it is just a declaration that you are guaranteeing that if the immigrant you sponsor should be unable to support themselves and take care of their own needs you will do so on their behalf. This keeps them OFF the welfare system.

So yes, it would lead to a pathway to legal resident status and could also lead the way to work and study permits. As for No-Deport orders, no, it would not cover that. Any person who comes to this country as a legal immigrant is subject to deportation under certain laws and rules. I would not remove that clause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Harrison, OH
910 posts, read 781,713 times
Reputation: 356
I honestly feel no need or obligation to support a person, regardless of where they came from, with my money if they have broken the law by coming here illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Simi Valley
2,625 posts, read 3,337,321 times
Reputation: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
I honestly feel no need or obligation to support a person, regardless of where they came from, with my money if they have broken the law by coming here illegally.
I fully agree with you. But for those who are happy to have illegals here, let them put their OWN money where their mouth is So far, I see no takers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
12,033 posts, read 10,856,969 times
Reputation: 14646
Default I'm in favor of amnesty

I think we should grant them full rights, along with some kind of transition mechanism to make them full legal citizens. It's the price we pay for being such a free society, a nation comprised of immigrants, and a beacon for freedom throughout the world.

Ludicrous to exclude these proud people. Those of you calling for the mass exodus of all illegal immigrants need to deal with your personal issues. Living in such a state of negativity is detrimental to your health and diminishes your quality of life.

I note here that Republicans have no problem watching the rich get richer, or excessive amounts of money being dumped into the military to nation build and aid poor people on the other side of the world. Yet, when money is spent here at home to aid such people, they are unreasonable and misguided in their outrage. I support amnesty and a program to make these people full citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 PM
 
510 posts, read 321,455 times
Reputation: 569
This is a trick question in a way-- because if they were "given rights," i.e. naturalized and worked on the books, they would pay state and federal income taxes, would actually have to qualify for a driver's license and be educated on things like DUI instead of having an excuse to just get in a car and go, and they would be subject to labor laws including minimum wages, so their depression on wages would be reduced. From a strictly financial perspective it would be cheaper to naturalize the ones who are here than to try to deport them, which would be an astronomical sum to the tune of 12 million legal cases. Either way, any new influx of illegals has to be stopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 6,256,526 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I think we should grant them full rights, along with some kind of transition mechanism to make them full legal citizens. It's the price we pay for being such a free society, a nation comprised of immigrants, and a beacon for freedom throughout the world.

Ludicrous to exclude these proud people. Those of you calling for the mass exodus of all illegal immigrants need to deal with your personal issues. Living in such a state of negativity is detrimental to your health and diminishes your quality of life.

I note here that Republicans have no problem watching the rich get richer, or excessive amounts of money being dumped into the military to nation build and aid poor people on the other side of the world. Yet, when money is spent here at home to aid such people, they are unreasonable and misguided in their outrage. I support amnesty and a program to make these people full citizens.
Yes, let's let in the entire 2 billion impoverised on the entire planet into our country otherwise we can't be known as a free country or a nation of immigrants with a beacon light to everyone in the world. So what that we already have the most generous legal immigration policies in the world to the tune of 1.5 milion a year. It would be just plain racist to expect our immigration laws to be respected and enforced and to put a cap on immigration, right? So what if we commit national suicide by doing so and our own citizens who have built this country suffer. It doesn't matter, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top