Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times

Advertisements

As an anchor baby, they can migrate an endless line of foreign family members through 1 illegal anchor baby.

They scam the system by having babies here illegally, & getting welfare for the child,and now they can endlessly migrate their foreign family & extended family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 09:16 AM

254 posts, read 590,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
As an anchor baby, they can migrate an endless line of foreign family members through 1 illegal anchor baby.

They scam the system by having babies here illegally, & getting welfare for the child,and now they can endlessly migrate their foreign family & extended family.
It does take a long time to achieve, almost impractical, they need first to be 21 years old to sponsor somebody else. The only family member that can apply quickly would be the parents. For other family members (siblings, or adult children) they would go into a line that currently is ~10 years long. If it is approved, the family member receives a green card, it will take 5-7 years for that person to become a citizen.

And this is not a special feature of anchor babies, its there for every American citizen.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

In my opinion, the parents of anchors should NEVER be granted legal status.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
In my opinion, the parents of anchors should NEVER be granted legal status.
I don't think this immigration law is specially incorrect, in the case of a legal immigrant that becomes a citizen down the line, I don't see the harm in bringing your parents.

I can see the point if the parents were illegal (which would be the case). But I think they already do that... don't they? If they know you were here illegally they will not grant the green card.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
I don't think this immigration law is specially incorrect, in the case of a legal immigrant that becomes a citizen down the line, I don't see the harm in bringing your parents.

I can see the point if the parents were illegal (which would be the case). But I think they already do that... don't they? If they know you were here illegally they will not grant the green card.
2 problems.

We don't "know" who's here as we cannot legally ask them status.

If we look at this chain illegal immigration over a span of years it is indeed a huge issue. It is back door immigration.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:

Not necessarily. We have read countless articles of illegal alien parents being granted permission to remain in this country due to the citizenship status of their children. In addition, Luis Gutierrez has proposed a bill which would grant amnesty to the parents of U.S.-born children. Their rationale is that it harms the children when their parents are deported. Of course, there is no reason the children can’t leave with their parents.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
2 problems.

We don't "know" who's here as we cannot legally ask them status.

If we look at this chain illegal immigration over a span of years it is indeed a huge issue. It is back door immigration.
I'm not sure if they really can't tell if the person requesting residence has been here illegally. I've seen several posts over the "Legal Immigration" forum in which an American tries to ask for residence for his wife and as she overstayed it is not possible as she has a 10 year ban. Anyway, maybe there is a way of fooling the system I don't know.

It would be huge problem over time if the back door was unlimited... but it is restricted by a certain maximum immigrants per year (for non-direct relatives), thats why the line has been growing, and it keeps growing more and more. If you add up the time it comes to wait times of over 20 years, I think is pretty discouraging for most immigrants.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Not necessarily. We have read countless articles of illegal alien parents being granted permission to remain in this country due to the citizenship status of their children. In addition, Luis Gutierrez has proposed a bill which would grant amnesty to the parents of U.S.-born children. Their rationale is that it harms the children when their parents are deported. Of course, there is no reason the children can’t leave with their parents.
That is when the children is still under 21 years old. In those cases they know the parents were illegal but they have a different dilemma, which is protecting the american citizen. Yes, they could leave with the parents, but it can be viewed as a "indirect" deportation of a citizen, I think thats the problem.*

If the citizen is 21 years or older he is no longer a dependent, so the dilemma is no longer there, is easier to deny the residency to the illegal parents, right?

*I know many believe they should not be citizens, but that is the case right now...

Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if they really can't tell if the person requesting residence has been here illegally. I've seen several posts over the "Legal Immigration" forum in which an American tries to ask for residence for his wife and as she overstayed it is not possible as she has a 10 year ban. Anyway, maybe there is a way of fooling the system I don't know.

It would be huge problem over time if the back door was unlimited... but it is restricted by a certain maximum immigrants per year (for non-direct relatives), thats why the line has been growing, and it keeps growing more and more. If you add up the time it comes to wait times of over 20 years, I think is pretty discouraging for most immigrants.
If an estimated 1500 a day crossed and had US kids the number of people wanting to be sponsored in 21 years could potentially be pretty large.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
It does take a long time to achieve, almost impractical, they need first to be 21 years old to sponsor somebody else. The only family member that can apply quickly would be the parents. For other family members (siblings, or adult children) they would go into a line that currently is ~10 years long. If it is approved, the family member receives a green card, it will take 5-7 years for that person to become a citizen.

And this is not a special feature of anchor babies, its there for every American citizen.
The key word is American citizen.

Illegals who should not be here to begin have babies that should not be born here.

& still they can chain migrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration