Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
A green card is required to be carried by all legal immigrants. Where is the discrimination?
I personally do not carry mine. They would have to arrest me, because it someone steal it from my purse they would steal my Identity.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 PM

385 posts, read 721,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The fact remains that anyone here legally Mexican or not would have nothing to fear because they would have a valid I.D.
My point is, racially profiling in the first place is wrong. And a stricter law against illegals will pour into the "legals" field of play, like the Arizonia Law

Old 04-15-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhiryuu View Post
My point is, racially profiling in the first place is wrong. And a stricter law against illegals will pour into the "legals" field of play, like the Arizonia Law
google 9500 liberty and watch the doccumentary. I am not a lawyer but it is well explained in the movie.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
And as far as legal immigrants who choose not to abide by the laws requiring them to carry their identification -- maybe they should stay out of Georgia unless they decide to respect the law.

I would think an American citizen traveling to other countries and intentionally breaking the laws of those countries is wrong also. Just have some respect for the laws of countries you visit and if expected to carry your passport or a travel card, then just do it.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And as far as legal immigrants who choose not to abide by the laws requiring them to carry their identification -- maybe they should stay out of Georgia unless they decide to respect the law.

I would think an American citizen traveling to other countries and intentionally breaking the laws of those countries is wrong also. Just have some respect for the laws of countries you visit and if expected to carry your passport or a travel card, then just do it.
Between getting arrested, and getting my id stolen, I prefer to defend myself in front of a judge, I would take the second one. It is cheaper and easier to solve.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
Between getting arrested, and getting my id stolen, I prefer to defend myself in front of a judge, I would take the second one. It is cheaper and easier to solve.
Yes - like you said easy enough to solve, as most legal immigrants fully realize. We're a very lenient nation, in some nations, as an immigrant or tourist are expected to carry a passport, you're wise to abide by that law. Here -- here it's whatever goes.

I've traveled in Mexico and I chose to respect that country's laws and kept my travel card with me like the law required.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:28 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I personally do not carry mine. They would have to arrest me, because it someone steal it from my purse they would steal my Identity.
Then be ok with being cuffed if you get stopped by the cops.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:29 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhiryuu View Post
I cool with profiling if theres probable cause.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 PM

I have an ID but an ID is not proof of citizenship. As far as I know and by the information provided by the state of VA, I only have to carry an ID to drive, I mean a DL. However, in the event of racial profiling, the police would have to arrest me because I am not carrying any immigration papers. I am more than happy to explain to ajudge why.

In any case, Virginia had to take the"probable cause portion of the law, or raise taxes to place a video camera in every single police patrol to avoid being sue for racial profiling. The County did not agree on raising taxes and the probable cause clause was taken out of the law.Which basically means the law changed nothing, it is the same as it was before.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Then be ok with being cuffed if you get stopped by the cops.
I am ok with that. However the State would have to prove in a court of law Probable cause which is almost impossible unless there is evidence of a crime. (See my post above)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration