U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:12 PM

451 posts, read 1,016,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A new entitlement for illegals

Unsatisfied with thwarting a Republican effort to authorize $3 billion for a border fence, congressional Democrats are trying to enhance the incentive for illegal aliens to enter the United States by removing the citizenship requirement from the popular State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). The Republican Congress in 1996 passed legislation blocking people who are in the country illegally from claiming benefits from the federal government, and when SCHIP was created in 1997, states were required to verify citizenship. But Democrats want to take that sensible requirement for Medicaid and SCHIP and leave it to the discretion of each state.
A new entitlement for illegals*-*Nation/Politics*-*The Washington Times, America's Newspaper (http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070730/EDITORIAL/107300001 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 12:49 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,968 times
We are in the middle of a war and most Americans don't even realize it.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,697,700 times
Default traitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedog View Post
A new entitlement for illegals*-*Nation/Politics*-*The Washington Times, America's Newspaper (http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070730/EDITORIAL/107300001 - broken link)
They are traitors by aiding criminals to continue to break the law. At this point no government would be better.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:49 AM

3,581 posts, read 9,002,297 times
Although I am a independant conservative, I do not agree with a fence nor with providing government funded benefits to illegals. I think if a person goes through the efforts to legal migrate either permenantly or for temporary work and pays taxes then they should be eligible.

I think there is plenty of work of all types for both citizens and migrants. I feel that if a person is in the US working and paying taxes, then they should be eligible for any assistance that citizens are eligible for. I do not think they should be eligible for unemployement or welfare since those programs are designed for the non-employeed. The only reason a non citizen should be in the US is for employment purposes or for short term visits to relatives who are citizens or employed immigrants. In those cases, the unemployed relative becomes the responsibilty of their relative and not that of the US.

I thought about why immigrant children should be permitted to attend public schools for many years during my childhood. My parents had to pay for my school, why do their parents not? In Texas, schools are paid for with property taxes. These taxes are only paid by land owners. Illegal immigrants cannot purchase land, so do not pay property taxes and thus do not pay the school districts. Then I realized that as renters they were paying the land owner's property taxes with their rents and were in fact paying for the schools just like any land owner does.

In respect to this specific benefit of Health Insurance, I feel that unless they can document their taxes paid (or evidence of IRS filings if no taxes owed) then they should not be permitted to participate in the program, regardless of citizenship. I do not think our citizens who cheat on their federal funding responsibilities deserve such federally funded benefits either.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:41 AM

354 posts, read 224,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
We are in the middle of a war and most Americans don't even realize it.
Yes we are, but always remember that if we say we are then we are considered racist and/or bigoted. They are winning the war without firing a shot.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:24 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Although I am a independant conservative, I do not agree with a fence nor with providing government funded benefits to illegals. I think if a person goes through the efforts to legal migrate either permenantly or for temporary work and pays taxes then they should be eligible.

I think there is plenty of work of all types for both citizens and migrants. I feel that if a person is in the US working and paying taxes, then they should be eligible for any assistance that citizens are eligible for. I do not think they should be eligible for unemployement or welfare since those programs are designed for the non-employeed. The only reason a non citizen should be in the US is for employment purposes or for short term visits to relatives who are citizens or employed immigrants. In those cases, the unemployed relative becomes the responsibilty of their relative and not that of the US.

I thought about why immigrant children should be permitted to attend public schools for many years during my childhood. My parents had to pay for my school, why do their parents not? In Texas, schools are paid for with property taxes. These taxes are only paid by land owners. Illegal immigrants cannot purchase land, so do not pay property taxes and thus do not pay the school districts. Then I realized that as renters they were paying the land owner's property taxes with their rents and were in fact paying for the schools just like any land owner does.

In respect to this specific benefit of Health Insurance, I feel that unless they can document their taxes paid (or evidence of IRS filings if no taxes owed) then they should not be permitted to participate in the program, regardless of citizenship. I do not think our citizens who cheat on their federal funding responsibilities deserve such federally funded benefits either.

Do you have a fence around your backyard? If you do, why ? I always thought fences made for good neighbors....

Old 07-31-2007, 10:34 AM

2,327 posts, read 6,081,508 times
I just threw up in my mouth. The only thing illegals should be "entitled" to is a bus ride back to their home country (paid for by their own day labor earnings) and permanent banishment from the United States.

These people are ILLEGAL. We owe them NOTHING. Not even emergency health care. They are here illegally stealing from good American taxpayers. America shouldn't give them a red cent. Why is this so hard for so many people to comprehend?!?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:44 AM

354 posts, read 224,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I just threw up in my mouth. The only thing illegals should be "entitled" to is a bus ride back to their home country (paid for by their own day labor earnings) and permanent banishment from the United States.

These people are ILLEGAL. We owe them NOTHING. Not even emergency health care. They are here illegally stealing from good American taxpayers. America shouldn't give them a red cent. Why is this so hard for so many people to comprehend?!?
First off, most politicians who are all for Mexico taking over our country are getting paid off by Mexico, as Bush has to be. Then of course you have all of the idiots that go around telling anyone who happens to say anything about the Mexico and illegal problem that they are racists and/or bigots, when in fact Japan is the only other nationality and race of people that could be considered more racist and bigoted than Mexicans.

Last edited by MOHIllbillyWoman; 07-31-2007 at 11:15 AM..

Old 07-31-2007, 11:02 AM

7,504 posts, read 15,964,820 times
Thats a very hard racist comment to make about Japanese people. I know plenty and they are extremely nice, non racist people.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:10 AM

3,748 posts, read 7,210,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHIllbillyWoman View Post
First off, most politicians who are all for mexico taking over our country are getting paid off by Mexico, as Bush has to be. Then of course you have all of the idiots that go around telling anyone who happens to say anything about the Mexico and illegal problem that they are racists and/or bigots, when in fact Japan is the only other nationality and race of people that could be considered more racist and bigoted than Mexicans.
Interesting. I never knew that about Japan. Can you elaborate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or