Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:05 PM

354 posts, read 324,875 times

Advertisements

Essentially their argument is illegals not willing to report crimes to the police and, thus, make "the (not merely their) communities unsafe."

The fact is any community is "safer" without illegals.

Immigrants deported after calling police

Old 07-31-2007, 01:20 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
When did our country stop being the 'land of the free?' I find it a little upsetting that historically all our ansestors came to America looking for something better, but now that we have established ourselves, we are unwilling to let other people do the same.

I am being completely honest in this question - why don't we let anyone who wishes come to the United States?

Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
When did our country stop being the 'land of the free?' I find it a little upsetting that historically all our ansestors came to America looking for something better, but now that we have established ourselves, we are unwilling to let other people do the same.

I am being completely honest in this question - why don't we let anyone who wishes come to the United States?
Do you include persons that have record of violent crimes, or known terrorists, do you wish to also include people with no education or skill that will become wards of the state to immigrate here?

I can see reasons why we do not wish anyone who shows up to be allowed in. We historically allow immigration, but even that is documented if it is not truly restricted. We did admit a lot of people that we may have doubts about today, but they can to a country where they had to provide for themselves rather than a welfare state as we are trying to become today.

I am all for immigration. I am for a migrant worker program. I like the idea of work visas and tourist visas. I am against the idea that we need to open the border for anyone and everyone to cross at will. Illegal immigrants are a problem because we do not know who they are or why they are here. If we let in a terrorist and have documentation as to who they are and where they went, why they claim to be here....then that is one thing and if we get attacked, then it is a price of freedom. To not try to document who is here and if we get attacked by one of the undocumented is just negligence.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:44 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,544 times
Quote:

The " 'land of the free?' " is talking about our citizens not he whole damn world.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:44 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:

First we don't have the resources or the infastructure to take in everyone who wants to better their lives. This is not like the times of the past. We are no longer a struggling nation that needs to import millions of people. Our population has doubled since the 1950's. We cannot continue to grow at this rate and remain a stable nation.

Secondly, I am seeing a disturbing trend where more and more immigrants are refusing to become acculturated to American society. I'm not saying they need to assimilate, that's near impossible for recent immigrants, but they must adapt to our culture. This is shown by speaking the language, not disrespecting our nation's symbols, not breaking our laws etc... England and France are good examples of nations that don't require immigrants to become acculturated. This is clearly not working for them. It won't work for us either.

I just think a lot of Americans are getting sick of the sense of entitlement people have, that we should let everyone in. The US has every right to restrict the flow of immigrants. Why people believe we don't is beyond me. Sooo my question to you is why must we allow everyone to emigrate here?

Old 07-31-2007, 04:30 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,448 times
Quote:

The answer to your question is this: COMMUNICATIONS.

We live in a different world. 150 years ago, just a few had the opportunnity to come here in a boat; once here, they never saw their land left behind again. They were unable to keep reading news[aper in their languages. There was no agencies to send money to their families; there was no way to send pictures; even the most opposite to the American culture person, eventually assimilated because he had no other option.

Today, thanks to globalization, immigrants have the opportunity to come here for one reason: consume American resources; and that means, coming here, working here in Spanish, whatching tv in spanish, listening to radios in spanish, eating latino food, sending their money back to their countries, calling their families, traveling back once in a while, so in other words, communications destroyed assimilation; and that is the real reason my friend why today we need to select with tweezers who stay here and who doesn't. If we allow everybody to come here under that "the land of the free" we will eventually destroy our own nation divided by different imposed cultures and different separatists way of thinking.

In fact, if one of those mexican kids is put between 500 American kids for 15 years, he will be a complete American when he is 15. That doesn;t happen anymore. That kis is raised strictly as a mexican, and eventually due to the poor culture and poor way of thinking he will fall into gang activities and so on....the story goes.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecall View Post

We live in a different world. 150 years ago, just a few had the opportunnity to come here in a boat; once here, they never saw their land left behind again. They were unable to keep reading news[aper in their languages. There was no agencies to send money to their families; there was no way to send pictures; even the most opposite to the American culture person, eventually assimilated because he had no other option.

Today, thanks to globalization, immigrants have the opportunity to come here for one reason: consume American resources; and that means, coming here, working here in Spanish, whatching tv in spanish, listening to radios in spanish, eating latino food, sending their money back to their countries, calling their families, traveling back once in a while, so in other words, communications destroyed assimilation; and that is the real reason my friend why today we need to select with tweezers who stay here and who doesn't. If we allow everybody to come here under that "the land of the free" we will eventually destroy our own nation divided by different imposed cultures and different separatists way of thinking.

In fact, if one of those mexican kids is put between 500 American kids for 15 years, he will be a complete American when he is 15. That doesn;t happen anymore. That kis is raised strictly as a mexican, and eventually due to the poor culture and poor way of thinking he will fall into gang activities and so on....the story goes.

Thank you for your well thought out and posted reply. I love the way you put the truth and I just hope that more Americans wake up to what is happening to their country, but I am not sure we can soon enough. Thank you again.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,129 times
Quote:

Also I'd add that if current immigration trends continue, by the year 2050, we are expected to have something like 420 million people here. And that's if no grand amnesty gets enacted. At that point we'll have to wonder if there will be any real Americans left at all.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:11 AM

180 posts, read 122,058 times
Quote:
Doesn’t seem to be behavior exclusive to Mexicans: Ireland's new prosperity has many reversing their exodus - International Herald Tribune

Not even the "gang activities" part: Irish Mob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the way, I admire the Irish and their culture.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:43 AM

Of course the Irish did not come here and expect the whole country to bow down and treat them special and they did not expect everyone to speak Gailec or expect to be allowed to have their 50 relatives come live with them as they completely used up any and all resources that they are not allowed to have anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration