Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,502,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
AB 131 would allow undocumented students access to state financial aid and Cal grants. The estimated impact of the AB 131 on the state coffers is $32.5 million.
Quote:
If approved by the Assembly and the state Senate, AB 130 would then go to Gov. Jerry Brown, who has publicly supported the measure
...And people wonder why California is in such financial trouble.

Half of California DREAM Act Passes First Hurdle in State Legislature (http://www.sanfernandosun.com/sanfernsun/news/6637-half-of-california-dream-act-passes-first-hurdle-in-state-legislature - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 10:08 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,483,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
...And people wonder why California is in such financial trouble.

Half of California DREAM Act Passes First Hurdle in State Legislature (http://www.sanfernandosun.com/sanfernsun/news/6637-half-of-california-dream-act-passes-first-hurdle-in-state-legislature - broken link)
California is suffering from more than financial trouble. There is a general sense of hopelessness while legal citizens/legal immigrants struggle to survive, while being forced to watch these illegals doing just fine!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
And American students will be cut off from all financial aid while the illegals help themselves in hog heaven, demanding they get it because their parents are on welfare or fail to report their income.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:18 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,502,237 times
From the article:

Quote:
Infante, 23, is one of these students. A native of Chile, she came to the United States at the age of 12 and currently attends Los Angeles Valley College. She hopes to transfer to a university and major in Spanish Literature and Journalism.

She uses the money she makes from selling food, babysitting and holding her own raffles to help pay for college. Her family pitches in financially as well. "The first thing I pay for is books and then I pay tuition through the semester," Infante said, adding that approval of the California DREAM Act would "take away the anxiety that I get" at the start of every semester.
I'm betting none of the money was taxed income and all im sure was earned illegally.

Quote:
"They (legislators) are helping foster the development of future architects, doctors, teachers, scientists and scholars who are crucial to the success of the California economy," Cedillo stated in a press release. "By increasing the earning potential of these students, [it] helps all of us by contributing to our tax base, thus improving services and resources."
They know damn well these fields are not lacking qualified candidates that have earned their or are earning their degree legally.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:14 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,054 times
How are the illegal aliens going to get jobs if they can't prove they are able to legally work in the US.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
That is the "Slippery Slope" of the Dream Act...it is step one to being accepted as a legal citizen. My issue is, there are students who get visas to go to school here...do these illegals have visas? My other issue, they say that the illegals pay out of state tuition unless they have a job on campus, then they pay in state tuition...so guess who gets all the plum jobs on campus?! Their parents don't pay taxes, their entire family is a parasite using public assistance and benefits...and now they get prefential treatment at colleges...

Don't ask my opinion on this.

I want to know why INS is not knocking on the door and sedning these people BACK to Chile!!Great. My tax dollars at work. Love it.

Great. Let's just make all of South America our 51st state. Why not?! We make everyone who comes here from there eligible for all programs.

There...is everyone happy now? No more social security, no more student loans, no more public schools, no more welfare programs for anyone, because our government is flat brokem

Old 04-24-2011, 09:41 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,483,262 times
What really pisses me off about this is that I was just refused any type of help with funding at the local college, even though we are currently living off just my husband's paycheck and my very small UI check and just barely managing to keep our heads above water. Apparently he earns "too much." Then, the Pell Grant I might have been qualified for at the local adult school is no longer being offered there. Collecting UI makes it harder to go to school while continuing to collect UI, so the Adult School courses would have been ideal...open ended times, no clash with job interviews or accepting a job.

But here in California someone who doesn't even have a RIGHT to be here is being given what I, and many other Americans, are being denied!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,424,518 times
Quote:
The California Development, Relief and Education of Alien Minors Act would benefit the undocumented students
And ONLY the undocumented.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
How are the illegal aliens going to get jobs if they can't prove they are able to legally work in the US.
Ummmmmmmmm......identity theft though using other people's SSN#s

Old 04-25-2011, 10:58 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
This is a California financial aid package...not a citizenship or jobs package.

How does your question relate to the proposed legislation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration