U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:31 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,379,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Couldn't have said it better.

I have applied for work at several hospitals in the Boston area. I have gone to interviews just to be turned down because I do not speak Spanish. It doesn't matter that I speak French. Why? Because their biggest customer base speaks Spanish... Does NOT speak English and we all know why. Because they are here illegally. Some of you seem to forget that knowledge of the English language is a requirement to immigrate to this country.

How is this fair to me?
Oh, yes, I know EXACTLY what you mean! Besides office management I am also trained and certified in the management of Alzheimer's and Elder Care facilities. This means that I am also FULLY TRAINED in safe food handling, hygiene, etc... Our local hospital was hiring people to work as food servers and preparers in their kitchen and I received a reply back to my application stating that I did not possess the skills they were looking for! WTF?!?! I managed Alzheimer's facilities, ALWAYS made 100% on surprise inspections by the state and county, and I also managed apartments, where again I not only got a 100% rating from the Dept. of Housing for my personal standards of health, safety and cleanliness, he also stated that he wished he was allowed to give me a certificate of recognition because it was the BEST inspection he had done in his 10+ years on the job! You can bet I phoned the hospital and gave them hell, even came right out and stated that I KNEW I had been knocked back because I didn't speak Spanish.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:11 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,095,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Couldn't have said it better.

I have applied for work at several hospitals in the Boston area. I have gone to interviews just to be turned down because I do not speak Spanish. It doesn't matter that I speak French. Why? Because their biggest customer base speaks Spanish... Does NOT speak English and we all know why. Because they are here illegally. Some of you seem to forget that knowledge of the English language is a requirement to immigrate to this country.

How is this fair to me?
Most employers dont give reasons for not hiring applicants. Most employers give skills needed by applicants to succuessfully perform the job. By not getting the job, you did not have the skills needed to perform those jobs. An employer still has the right in America to hire employees that can perform the job. period.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:20 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,895,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
An employer still has the right in America to hire employees that can perform the job. period.
That's a crock of sh*t and you know it...

The employer has the right to hire someone, you got that part right.

As far as hiring the right person?

Well yeah, but that depends on government laws....

How many times do we see an employer get taken to court because there are not enough minorities on the payroll...

LMAO, how many times does a test get re-written because minorities have a hard time passing the test?

The statement learning Spanish and English unites children is ludicrous.

If anything our students should be learning Chinese, not some looser language like Spanish...

Old 04-25-2011, 05:42 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,095,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
That's a crock of sh*t and you know it...

The employer has the right to hire someone, you got that part right.

As far as hiring the right person?

Well yeah, but that depends on government laws....

How many times do we see an employer get taken to court because there are not enough minorities on the payroll...

LMAO, how many times does a test get re-written because minorities have a hard time passing the test?

The statement learning Spanish and English unites children is ludicrous.

If anything our students should be learning Chinese, not some looser language like Spanish...
I understand US Title IX, DOL rules, and EEOC, rules.

Youre confusing an employers right to choosing an employee with Title IX rules and or affirmative action madates.

If you and your buddy feel that they have been wrongly passed over for a job...I suggest you all figure out if they have a claim...and file it.

Because whether you believe it or not...or believe I understand it or not...An employer can still choose his employees. Like it or not.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:50 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Quote:
Most employers dont give reasons for not hiring applicants. Most employers give skills needed by applicants to succuessfully perform the job. By not getting the job, you did not have the skills needed to perform those jobs. An employer still has the right in America to hire employees that can perform the job. period.
It is a dead give-away however when an employer runs an ad for a job stating "bi-lingual preferred". An English speaking American would not have a shot at that job. No sense in even applying for it. It is discrimination when an English speaking American has all the other skills to perform the actual technicalities of a job and in fact is even better qualified than the Spanish speaker but because they want to cater to illegal aliens they hire them instead.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,895,026 times
Quote:
I understand US Title IX, DOL rules, and EEOC, rules.

Youre confusing an employers right to choosing an employee with Title IX rules and or affirmative action madates.

If you and your buddy feel that they have been wrongly passed over for a job...I suggest you all figure out if they have a claim...and file it.

Because whether you believe it or not...or believe I understand it or not...An employer can still choose his employees. Like it or not.
Thank you for confirming what I said.... employers do not have free choice in hiring...

Yes employers can choose their employees, but only the ones approved by the government....

Is that all progressive liberals can say? File a claim? Sue them?

Mox nix.... has nothing to do with the thread....

As I said, if another language should be taught it should be Chinese not a loser language like Spanish....

Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,355,851 times
If I'm going to suffer security in an airport to visit a foreign city it's going to be London, Paris, Berlin or Amsterdam, or other great city.

And yeah, I know some French. At least enough to make them want to speak English.

The only reason someone in L.A. wants U.S. citizens to learn Spanish is a subterfuge leading to that Aztlan effort.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,056,828 times
If I ever become a mother, my kid will learn as many languages as possible. I speak four languages and understand a fifth one and honestly that is probably the reason why I have been so successful in my career.

Education can never hurt you.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
If I ever become a mother, my kid will learn as many languages as possible. I speak four languages and understand a fifth one and honestly that is probably the reason why I have been so successful in my career.

Education can never hurt you.
I don't consider learning another langauge an "education per se". For Americans it is a waste of time unless one is going to deal with foreign countries on the job (even at that English is the language of commerce on the planet) or has a career in the tourist industry. Americans are much better off learing a trade or going to college with a particular career in mind.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:33 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,056,828 times
I learned several languages before the age of 11. I do not see how learning a new skill such as a language can hurt you.

Honestly in a global economy, if you do not adapt on how the world works and just for the sake of being lazy do not acquire new skills, you will become obsolete.

Education (including different languages and the ability to communicate) will give you an edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration